Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tundra brake upgrade?? Just a few questions.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #41
1LEGGED BADASS
1LEGGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed1LEGGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed1LEGGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed1LEGGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed1LEGGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed1LEGGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed1LEGGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed1LEGGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed1LEGGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed1LEGGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed1LEGGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11b
Name: Ryan
1LEGGER's Tacoma Gallery
Braking is definitely better huh
Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #42
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEGGER View Post
Braking is definitely better huh
Not even comparable to stock!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #43
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the process of gathering parts for this upgrade, but having trouble locating a cheap set of calipers.. local junkyards are a bust and ones online can't provide me w/ the right info/pics for me to pull the trigger.

is this an ok deal for a pair of OEM take-offs? 13WL castings: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PULL-OFF-FRO...c4adfa&vxp=mtr

is there another place you guys can recommend to get the used calipers? what is the best remanned aftermarket option?

I plan on buying brand new aftermarket rotors, pads, and ss lines.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #44
Tacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Tacomaki's Tacoma Gallery
1998 Tacoma - UPGRADED

Last weekend, I upgraded my SR5. Key Points.

1. Get a 2006 Tundra Brake Caliper from the Salvage yard. They should already be machined for the banjo fitting. If not get them machined.
2. The calipers should be the larger 9 inch calipers from the 2006. You think you don't need them. You do and They are great!
3. Go to the dealer and get 4 new caliper mounting bolts for a 2006 Tundra. They are 3 mm shorter. The calipers are 3mm thinner and if you don't the bolts will rub the rotors, $1.78 each.
4. While you are at the dealer, get a set of caliper piston seals for rebuilding the calipers while you have them off. Good insurance since you don't know the mileage of the used calipers. It's $15 well spent. Get new pins, clips and springs, about $12.
5. I got the Akebono brake pads. Same brand as the OEM but not the price.
6. I did splurge and got the OEM Brake Shims-$45. I hate brake squeal.
7. Good After market rotors are fine for the application. The OEM's are just too expensive.
8. Make sure your rims have enough clearance. The Tundra rotors are about 10 mm larger radius and the caliper is a little thicker. I already had some Sequoia Wheels.

Total Cost - about $225 including some silver caliper paint.

Braking performance is really, really good. I can actually lock up the front tires now if I need to. I couldn't before.

REMEMBER, NEVER SKIMP ON BRAKES OR TIRES. YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON THESE TWO THINGS ON EVERY CAR.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #45
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomaki View Post

1. Get a 2006 Tundra Brake Caliper from the Salvage yard. They should already be machined for the banjo fitting. If not get them machined.
2. The calipers should be the larger 9 inch calipers from the 2006. You think you don't need them. You do and They are great!
3. Go to the dealer and get 4 new caliper mounting bolts for a 2006 Tundra. They are 3 mm shorter. The calipers are 3mm thinner and if you don't the bolts will rub the rotors, $1.78 each.
4. While you are at the dealer, get a set of caliper piston seals for rebuilding the calipers while you have them off. Good insurance since you don't know the mileage of the used calipers. It's $15 well spent. Get new pins, clips and springs, about $12.
7. Good After market rotors are fine for the application. The OEM's are just too expensive.
8. Make sure your rims have enough clearance. The Tundra rotors are about 10 mm larger radius and the caliper is a little thicker. I already had some Sequoia Wheels.

Braking performance is really, really good. I can actually lock up the front tires now if I need to. I couldn't before.

REMEMBER, NEVER SKIMP ON BRAKES OR TIRES. YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON THESE TWO THINGS ON EVERY CAR.
I ended up getting a kit. All new parts for an 05 tundra 4x4 I think with the V8 in it as well. I like the upgrade a lot so far!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #46
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomaki View Post

thanks for your experience! does it matter if the used calipers came off a vehicle w/ ABS if my rig doesn't have ABS? thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #47
Tacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Tacomaki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
thanks for your experience! does it matter if the used calipers came off a vehicle w/ ABS if my rig doesn't have ABS? thanks
The caliper part number is the same with or without ABS.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #48
blitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blitzburgh99's Tacoma Gallery
Sub

Products Discussed in this Thread