Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2003 Toyota Tacoma

Old 12-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
2003 Toyota Tacoma

I found a 2003 Toyota Tacoma for sale on base for $12,600 obo. I scheduled a test drive with the guy tomorrow at 3:30, and from what I looked at today it seems to be in really good condition! I'll do a thorough inspection tomorrow after I test drive it.

The description on the For Sale sign:
"<119,000 miles. SR5/TRD. Tow package. Power windows/mirrors. 4wd. V6 Stock radio. New tires, front brakes and rotors, shocks, struts, radiator thermometer. Recently changed brake fluid and flushed radiator. 2nd owner since 2006/36,000 miles. Selling because because can't meet the needs of my growing family"

Seems pretty legit, based from what I know so far I'm not sure what I should offer up as a price. KBB is a little over 9,500.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
jodjr is on a distinguished road

jodjr's Tacoma Gallery
ask if the frame was inspected and treated by a Toyota dealer, and timing belt.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Just for comparison, I paid $13K for an 03 trd OR 4x4 step side, manual with 82K miles and that's at a Toyota Dealership.

Also before I got my 04, I saw an 03 with 126K miles at another Toyota Dealership trd OR 4x4 auto and it was listed at $12,995 but said they would take $12K for it over e-mail. I would have probably talked them down to $11K.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
$12.6K is a little high--See previous posts-Also check for drive train vibration. You can feel it under your feet--if it has it-you will know.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
Kelly blue book actually seems a little low for a 4x4. Thats about how much mine was (I paid 9000 flat for it, 105k miles, but mine is a year 2000 2wd prerunner.) BUT I definitely wouldnt bite on the 12,600. Ask about regular maintenance and try to get carfax. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I checked KBB on this with MO zip code and came up at $10,7ish assuming it's an auto in "good" condition.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
I checked KBB on this with MO zip code and came up at $10,7ish assuming it's an auto in "good" condition.
Oh yeah, you're probably right. My KBB probably automatically used my old zip code... Anything that I do notice tomorrow I will definitely bring up to him. As of right now I'd prefer to offer something like $11,000.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Oh yeah, you're probably right. My KBB probably automatically used my old zip code... Anything that I do notice tomorrow I will definitely bring up to him. As of right now I'd prefer to offer something like $11,000.
It all comes down to how bad you want it and what you can afford. I would offer $10,500 if it is in good condition. Timing belt not done, needs new tires or blown cv boots, etc... I would offer less accordingly.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #9

Quote:
It all comes down to how bad you want it and what you can afford. I would offer $10,500 if it is in good condition. Timing belt not done, needs new tires or blown cv boots, etc... I would offer less accordingly.
Tires look brand new, I'd say maybe 2500 miles at the most. I didn't get to look in too much detail at the drivetrain (was on my lunch break) but the frame looked clean as well as the overall stance of the suspension. I'll definitely ask about the timing belt since I know that is something that needs to be done after 100,000. I'm thinking this truck was bought and then never used to its full potential, so I'm definitely going to make sure all of the 4wd and locker is in working order since I'm sure the gears haven't been turned in a while. The body is in perfect condition in my opinion, so I'm hoping that goes for the rest of the truck! Payments shouldn't be an issue either, I could afford it at $12,600 but of course I would like to get somewhat of a decent price on it.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
JudoJohn is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
JudoJohn's Tacoma Gallery
did you check if the price from KBB was retail or individual? i have noticed that people will go to KBB and see what full retail is, and then use that as their asking price. full retail from a dealer gives you usually some sort of warranty, even if only 30 days. if you buy from an ind. and something is wrong, it's on you. Take that into account when buying. Also, is the seller getting ready to PCS? if so, he may be more motivated to entertain a lower offer.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudoJohn View Post
did you check if the price from KBB was retail or individual? i have noticed that people will go to KBB and see what full retail is, and then use that as their asking price. full retail from a dealer gives you usually some sort of warranty, even if only 30 days. if you buy from an ind. and something is wrong, it's on you. Take that into account when buying. Also, is the seller getting ready to PCS? if so, he may be more motivated to entertain a lower offer.

Yeah I double checked what I was looking at:
Excellent Condition: $10,829
Very Good condition: $10,479
Good Condition: $10,279
Fair Condition: $9,379

As for as I know the guy isn't PCSing. He just needs something bigger for his family, or at least that's what the description said. I'll be sure to ask though, and if he is I'll take that into account. He did say obo on the price so I know he's not set on the price and will be willing to negotiate some, I'm just not sure how much. As of right now if everything is in as good of condition as I think I'm going to offer something around $11,000. This is my first time buying a vehicle on my own so I'm kind of new to all this.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #12

So I went and test drove the vehicle earlier today. It is in pretty much perfect condition!
He bought it from a girl in Kentucky back in 06 at 36,000 miles. He said when he bought it she had never used the 4wd and so at first it was slow to kick in to 4wd. He change out the oil and the more he used the 4wd the better it worked and now it shifts into it immediately.
He changed the oil ever 3-5000 miles and changed the oil in the rear end and front diff. and had the transmission flushed about 3 years ago. The check engine light had come on and he replaced the radiator thermostat and had the radiator flushed and the check engine light went away.
I asked him about the timing chain and he said he's never gotten it changed but has kept a close eye at the motor. So that's something I would need to do to it. He had recently changed out the brake rotors and pads as well as the struts.
He got the recall info about the frame coating but since he now lives in Missouri, Toyota doesn't offer it for this state. So for 36,000 miles it was in a state where rust issues were known, but I checked the frame out and its perfectly fine.
Another recall he had gotten was for the lower a-arms, so that has been replaced recently as well.
I drove it around and put it into 4hi, 4lo, and 4lo with the locker engaged and everything worked fine. all the electronics work including the mirrors, windows, radio, speakers, a/c and heater. I took it out on the highway and got it up to 95 before I stopped, it definitely runs great!
Old 12-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
nice find Brent! Hopefully you can get it for a little cheaper
Old 12-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
nice find Brent! Hopefully you can get it for a little cheaper
It came down to $12,200.... Haha I know that's a little high, but his KBB came up with $12,000 for excellent condition and he had the radiator thermostat, rotors, brake pads, struts, radiator flushed, and new tires put on recently so I figured it's worth it. Plus I really want this truck!

I'm going to the bank on base Monday and I'm gonna see what they'll do, if they won't do it I'm going to have to wait until I go home for Christmas and have my bank back home do the loan, so it could be 3 weeks until I get the truck if I have to wait. Until I call him to say the bank approved the loan he is still going to have it for sale. But once I tell him it's approved he's going to put it in his garage for me.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
I wished that was up here exatly what im looking for!
Old 12-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
I wished that was up here exatly what im looking for!
I got lucky that this happened to be right on base! I've been looking for a truck like this for a little over a year now haha
Old 12-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
Air Force:
Quote:
I agree with driver on this. especially since the timing belt needs to be replaced. BTW- your KBB numbers are more accurate than his. did he use full retail?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #18
Air Force:
i'd try to have him knock off another 500 for the timing belt.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #19

Well the bank approved the loan! The owner of the truck has to finish up some paperwork to show that the vehicle is payed off on his part. But tomorrow afternoon I should be the proud owner of a Tacoma again!
Old 12-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
NICE-----Keep us posted==MERRY CHRISTMAS
Your gift to yourself--the best kind--Exactly what you asked for and wanted.