1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help! Tranny Broke. What used ones will fit my truck? Are all autos interchangeable?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dustinuhls, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Dec 17, 2012 at 3:15 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    Just found out the transmission in my '01 Tacoma needs replaced. Dealership said a new one was $2600 plus another $800 for the install. I'm looking online and at salvage yards for a used one, but don't know exactly what I'm looking for that will fit.

Mine is a 2001 4x4 TRD Double Cab w/ the 3.4 V6. It started making a funny noise last week and I took it to the dealership to check it out. They said I needed a new tranny. It only has 92K miles on it, but once it hits overdrive, it starts making a grinding noise. If I turn the overdrive off, the noise stops.

I don't know what transmissions are interchangeable. I've found a few used ones, but some are from the PreRunners and base 2wd models and some are from 4cyl Tacomas. Do I have to have one from a 4x4 and a 3.4 V6?

2. Dec 17, 2012 at 3:19 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R

i dont think so but dont quote me. and just look up your transmission model number and find a matching one. you should be able to find one for around 500 at a junk yard or something.

Products Discussed in

To Top