Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

cb radio location

Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #41
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Adam...
I will hope these pics might be helpful to someone.

kind of a hack job with the zip ties...
(I may replace those with some velcro zip ties I purchased after the fact)

But hey...
the zip ties haven't failed yet and they're are outta view anyways...
so's I'll prolly put that off forever. Lol

------------------------

* note the 2 screws that support the forward side of the CB.
Located just behind the facia (both right n left sides)

^ these were helpful in adding support.

------------------------
Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #42
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
Thanks Adam...

But hey...

------------------------

------------------------
Zip ties seem to be working just fine. I see no reason to change it
Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #44
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody have experience with the uniden bearcat 880? I've been eyeballing that one lately but I'm not sure where to mount it. It's 7-1/4" x 7-1/4" x 2-1/8".
Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #45
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
Anybody have experience with the uniden bearcat 880? I've been eyeballing that one lately but I'm not sure where to mount it. It's 7-1/4" x 7-1/4" x 2-1/8".
I have a uniden no idea which one. I like it.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #46
scyota03 is on a distinguished road
scyota03's Tacoma Gallery
thanks everybody for the good ideas. the galaxy cb i have now just gets in the way..ima haft to buy a smaller one.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #47
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
I just found an old cb stashed in my garage; I'm not too familiar with them.. is there an easy way to test to see if it works??
power it up properly and see. Google is your best friend and CB is AWESOME for wheelin, traveling, driving with groups. Not calling people every second
Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #48
get your facts straight
SafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dang
SafetyDang's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SafetyDang
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
Thanks Adam...

But hey...

------------------------

------------------------
I followed your write up back in 2008. I used Velcro but haven't had any problems.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #49
Iceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
Iceman2448's Tacoma Gallery
Here's where I put my

Old 02-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #50
Tacoma FTW
Mega Mormon is on a distinguished road
Name: Tannar
Mega Mormon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Mega Mormon
Quote:
Funny you ask because i just finished my install of that very radio... I love the heck out of it, and it's by far the best radio I've had so far... The color change feature means it blends in to the rest of my dash at night and my dashboard doesn't look like a Technicolor Unicorn threw up on it. Here are some pics of how it looks installed:

There was a bit of issue with the antenna plug sticking out too far in the back and pushing against the duct work back there, and i actually had to push the antenna plug back into the CB radio a bit and put a 90 degree elbow on it to get it to work. It also took quite a bit of filing the plastic bezel to get it to fit. I have a few pics of the install process i could probably dig up if you're actually interested in a write up or something...
Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #51
Tacoma FTW
here's what it looks like in the day time:
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #52
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I didn't think it would fit in there. Like, I didn't think it would even come close lol. How is it secured in there? Looks good btw. I've been debating between the bearcat or the cobra 75wxst. I like the look of the bearcat a lot more, that's for sure.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #53
Tacoma FTW
Quote:
Nice! I didn't think it would fit in there. Like, I didn't think it would even come close lol. How is it secured in there? Looks good btw. I've been debating between the bearcat or the cobra 75wxst. I like the look of the bearcat a lot more, that's for sure.
I had similar concerns and the choice was made for me when i got this radio when i bough an old 86 4runner and it was in the back still in the box and everything... i had it installed in my 85 4Runner and when i sold that i went about putting it in my new tacoma... i'll try to find some of the pictures i took of the actual install process and post them for you.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #54

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet, thanks. I get discounts on uniden radios at my work so I'll have to consider this now haha.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #55
Tacoma FTW
I didn't take as many pictures as i thought but here's what i have:

These pictures do not show the correct depth for how i ended up installing the radio. I was trying to mount the CB radio and stereo together with the stock mounting brackets that held in the stock radio. I did eventually get it to work but it took some slight modification to the bracket and to the cb radio itself by drilling new mounting holes. i had to readjust the cb radio and push it a lot more forward and i'm sorry to say that i don't have any of readjusted pictures...

The hole in this picture is the normal mounting hole that the radio comes with. Unfortunately, when i mounted the radio through this hole it pushed the radio too far into the dash (towards the firewall) and it hit the ducting behind it... i eventually had to open the radio to find a place safe to drill through and make my own mounting hole... but after that it seemed to work pretty well.

Again, this does not reflect the final mounting location...

After i did this the antenna connection on the back was really in the way. I had a 90 degree elbow but that still wasn't enough. What i had to do was actually open the radio and loosen the nut holding the connector in place so i could push it back into the radio more. I then used the same nut to hold it back inside the radio and i put the 90 degree elbow on it. The result was a new male connection that sat almost completely flush with the back panel and gave me enough space to install the radio. Be warned, i did have to re-solder the male connector back to the circuit board due to my own rough handling when i was trying to push the connector back into the body. I wish i had taken pictures because i know this is going to be hard to figure out what i'm talking about just reading it...

I also had to file A LOT of the plastic bezel to get it to fit... and i do mean A LOT! and since the radio sticks out a bit it was also a tight fit getting the plastic bezel to fit over it... It took a lot of modification and work, but in the end i think it was worth it. I also have an external speaker that i'm going to mount in the headliner above the rear view mirror, but this radio is actually pretty loud and i can hear it really well even with the normal speaker burried in the dash...
Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #56
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Here's mine: Cobra 75 wxst.

Installed the hidden part in the cavity under the ashtray on the passenger side, just behind the lower radio/hvac trim piece. When the handset is disconnected all that is left is the female half of the coupler. Works well, and it didn't require any real custom fitting. The hidden part is held in with zip-ties so it can be easily removed if need be. Only cutting I did is a small notch in the lower trim piece for the coupler wire so the trim piece would sit flush.

This allows me to still retain the small storage cubby under my aftermarket radio, and the ashtray(change holder)

Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #57
The bees know...
Aquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to all

Navy: NavAir Reconn
Aquatic Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman2448 View Post
Here's where I put my

Iceman,
Setup looks really good. Nice and clean. Like the switch panel, also.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #58

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Mormon View Post
I didn't take as many pictures as i thought but here's what i have:

These pictures do not show the correct depth for how i ended up installing the radio. I was trying to mount the CB radio and stereo together with the stock mounting brackets that held in the stock radio. I did eventually get it to work but it took some slight modification to the bracket and to the cb radio itself by drilling new mounting holes. i had to readjust the cb radio and push it a lot more forward and i'm sorry to say that i don't have any of readjusted pictures...

The hole in this picture is the normal mounting hole that the radio comes with. Unfortunately, when i mounted the radio through this hole it pushed the radio too far into the dash (towards the firewall) and it hit the ducting behind it... i eventually had to open the radio to find a place safe to drill through and make my own mounting hole... but after that it seemed to work pretty well.

Again, this does not reflect the final mounting location...

After i did this the antenna connection on the back was really in the way. I had a 90 degree elbow but that still wasn't enough. What i had to do was actually open the radio and loosen the nut holding the connector in place so i could push it back into the radio more. I then used the same nut to hold it back inside the radio and i put the 90 degree elbow on it. The result was a new male connection that sat almost completely flush with the back panel and gave me enough space to install the radio. Be warned, i did have to re-solder the male connector back to the circuit board due to my own rough handling when i was trying to push the connector back into the body. I wish i had taken pictures because i know this is going to be hard to figure out what i'm talking about just reading it...

I also had to file A LOT of the plastic bezel to get it to fit... and i do mean A LOT! and since the radio sticks out a bit it was also a tight fit getting the plastic bezel to fit over it... It took a lot of modification and work, but in the end i think it was worth it. I also have an external speaker that i'm going to mount in the headliner above the rear view mirror, but this radio is actually pretty loud and i can hear it really well even with the normal speaker burried in the dash...

Damn. That's more in depth than I thought it would be lol. Looks good though. I still don't know if I want a double din stereo or not. I'll figure out my cb when I choose the stereo.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #59
wesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Westley
wesb1023's Tacoma Gallery
url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/309333/cat/500][/url]
Old 03-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #60
03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
03tacoman's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you guys all mount your antennas ? I have dual 4' whips coming in the mail and I have two mirror mounts that I'm going to try and bolt up somewhere. or maybe make a bed bar that goes across the front of my bed to mount them to. not sure yet