Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

cb radio location

Old 12-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
scyota03 is on a distinguished road
scyota03's Tacoma Gallery
cb radio location

anybody have any good ideas on how to mount a cb in a 01-04 xtra cab thats not in the way to much? i use to have it mounted beside the shifter but it wont allow the passenger seat to come all the way up.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Liftedzuki is on a distinguished road
Liftedzuki's Tacoma Gallery
I plan on a handheld cb. Midland makes one I want
Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
You can mount a cobra 75wxst out of the way and unplug it when not in use
Old 12-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Many of us just mount it in the dash, right under the aftermarket single-DIN radio. If you have a factory double-DIN unit, that would have to be replaced.

A small CB can be fit into the ashtray area, but you'd have to sacrifice the stock ash tray.

Otherwise, it would get in the way, except for the hand-held types.

Do a search, lots of old threads on this.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Uniden Pro 520XL in the ashtray slot.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
bonafide
sk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
sk8rjess's Tacoma Gallery
i need to take a pic of mine, it's in the same location as Adams.
Adam why didn't you recess that a little? It seems it'd his your shifter.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same CB, but mounted differently.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
I have the same CB, but mounted differently.

this is ideally how i want to set mine up.
just need to get the single din radio
Old 12-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rjess View Post
i need to take a pic of mine, it's in the same location as Adams.
Adam why didn't you recess that a little? It seems it'd his your shifter.
Only because I didn't bother to "clearance" the heater duct that's back there. I mihght one day but it hasn't ever been an issue. Shifter doesn't get close at all.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Tacoranger1712 is on a distinguished road
Name: Erik
Tacoranger1712's Tacoma Gallery
cb location

i mounted my CB between the drivers side door and to the left/below the steering wheel. i mounted it with velcro and put the mic right over the steering wheel. works perfect. velcro does well. its been mounted for 3 years
Old 12-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #11

tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Only because I didn't bother to "clearance" the heater duct that's back there.
I had the same issue with my CB even though I mounted it just below the stereo. Initially, it protruded badly due to the antenna lead attaching perpendicular to the back of the CB. I fixed this by using a 90-degree antenna adapter that attached to the back of the CB.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
bonafide
sk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Only because I didn't bother to "clearance" the heater duct that's back there. I mihght one day but it hasn't ever been an issue. Shifter doesn't get close at all.
if you get a 90 degree elbow you can fit it perfectly fine man, don't have to clearance anything.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
Tommychu is on a distinguished road
Tommychu's Tacoma Gallery
Box Rocket: That reminds me of the '85 Buick I had in high school. You could bolt the ashtray bracket in upside down and then my Cobra 29 fit like a glove. It's almost like they designed it that way.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
Quote:
Uniden Pro 520XL in the ashtray slot.
How's that held to the console? Screws/velcro? I just bought that same CB and am planning on putting it in the same spot. That looks fantastic.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
bonafide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Just goes in. Mine has no screws or anything same spot.
x2. though i did add velcro as a safekeeping.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #18
Liftedzuki is on a distinguished road
Liftedzuki's Tacoma Gallery
Can you measure how tall they are?

I'd like to see if it would fit my current lower single din hole..

I really think I'm gonna do a handheld mobile then remove one power supply and make that my cb antenna plug.. So both wires go in same spot. Leaves me 1 cig lighter and one power supply if I don't usecb. Plus my cd player charges usb as well
Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
How's that held to the console? Screws/velcro? I just bought that same CB and am planning on putting it in the same spot. That looks fantastic.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Just goes in. Mine has no screws or anything same spot.
Quote:
x2. though i did add velcro as a safekeeping.
I had to use a dremel and "clearance" the dash trim slightly after I removed the ashtray. But it is a snug fit and would probably stay put on its own but I used some good 3M velcro just to be sure.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #20
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
if you get a 90 degree elbow you can fit it perfectly fine man, don't have to clearance anything.
I'm using the 90* elbow.