Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What is the weight limit??

Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
hmongvue is on a distinguished road
hmongvue's Tacoma Gallery
What is the weight limit??

I have a 1998 Tacoma V6. It is snowing and icy here so I decided to load up 2 cement parking blocks in the bed. They are a little over 5ft each. Not sure how much they weight but driving and looking at the bed it is a noticeable sagg. I assume at most each cement block weighs 250ish, so roughly 500lbs total. Could be less or more.

How much is too much weight for my truck? The blocks are reinforced with rebars inside too. Truck is complete stock, suspension etc.. Just want to make sure I am not putting too much weight on my truck.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmongvue View Post
I have a 1998 Tacoma V6. It is snowing and icy here so I decided to load up 2 cement parking blocks in the bed. They are a little over 5ft each. Not sure how much they weight but driving and looking at the bed it is a noticeable sagg. I assume at most each cement block weighs 250ish, so roughly 500lbs total. Could be less or more.

How much is too much weight for my truck? The blocks are reinforced with rebars inside too. Truck is complete stock, suspension etc.. Just want to make sure I am not putting too much weight on my truck.

Hahahahaha...

Sorry dude, not laughing at ya. It's just you mentioning that it has stock suspension, you reached the limit witrh the first one....

I don't remember what the rate is but it isn't much
Old 12-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Hahahahaha...

Sorry dude, not laughing at ya. It's just you mentioning that it has stock suspension, you reached the limit witrh the first one....

I don't remember what the rate is but it isn't much
lol.. no biggie laughing at me. Its a learning process for me. I am not 100% sure how much each block weighs so the weight is a guess. But if the rate is that low I have to take 1 out pretty soon. Its been sitting like that for awhile now. Dont want to put too much weight and stress on the suspension.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmongvue View Post
lol.. no biggie laughing at me. Its a learning process for me. I am not 100% sure how much each block weighs so the weight is a guess. But if the rate is that low I have to take 1 out pretty soon. Its been sitting like that for awhile now. Dont want to put too much weight and stress on the suspension.

you're a good sport , yeah for as good as the 'yotas are in about all areas this is one they really dropped the ball, yeah don't stress it too much...
Old 12-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Quote:
you're a good sport , yeah for as good as the 'yotas are in about all areas this is one they really dropped the ball, yeah don't stress it too much...
I see it as a learning process. Alright, yeah I need help taking 1 out so probably wait until tomorrow to go work and have some workers help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
I put about 100-150 lbs of sand bags in my bed when its snowy.. 500# miiight be a bit much
Yeah, I am not 100% sure how much weight is in the back. I am just guessing how much each one weighs base on searching on google. But since I dont know how much each one actually weighs, I am going to be safe and take 1 out and leave 1 in the middle of the bed.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I think that's a little sarcastic saying the suspension can't hold 500 lbs. My little '96 5 lugger used to tote around 600lbs all winter long and the suspension was fine. This was up until 4 years ago so it's not like it was new. My truck now will haul 1000 lbs without hitting the bump stops on stock leaves. And I haul motorcycles that are 400+ without any issue.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
I think that's a little sarcastic saying the suspension can't hold 500 lbs. My little '96 5 lugger used to tote around 600lbs all winter long and the suspension was fine. This was up until 4 years ago so it's not like it was new. My truck now will haul 1000 lbs without hitting the bump stops on stock leaves. And I haul motorcycles that are 400+ without any issue.
Not sarcastic at all, the load rating sucks & your '96 has shorter springs IIRC

A 1000lbs ? On stock leafs ? you are pushing your luck bro'
Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not sarcastic at all, the load rating sucks & your '96 has shorter springs IIRC

A 1000lbs ? On stock leafs ? you are pushing your luck bro'
The payload on my truck is 1580 lbs directly from the owners manual. If I can't haul 1000 lbs I would be pretty angry because I have needed to haul as much on several occasions. And I have successfully and safely hauled it multiple times. I fail to see why the stock leafs are so bad. It's not like I off road with 1000 lbs back there. But my leaves had less than 50k miles on them when I was hauling heavy shit.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to behold

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
I put 200 or so pounds during those icy days, I have Deaver 8's.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
The payload on my truck is 1580 lbs directly from the owners manual. If I can't haul 1000 lbs I would be pretty angry because I have needed to haul as much on several occasions. And I have successfully and safely hauled it multiple times. I fail to see why the stock leafs are so bad. It's not like I off road with 1000 lbs back there. But my leaves had less than 50k miles on them when I was hauling heavy shit.
Your truck has a 3/4 ton rating ? Mine used to be a 1/2 when stock, I've got 6 leafs per side & I'll bet I'm not rated for 3/4 ton

I had 1340lbs on the back when I went to scrap yard (they weigh your crap) & I was almost to the stops & the front end coulda almost come off the ground & didn't mention anything about offroading with that kind of load but one good pot hole with the weight your talking about & its over .. just sayin'
Old 12-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
So whats the Ideal weight or max for daily driven for the next couple months?

The back isn't crazy sagg but it is sagged. That is me comparing it to when I had 7 railroad ties in the back where every bump I can hear the back strapping. lol stupid idea I know. I will try to take a picture tomorrow of my truck's sagg. Also see if my boss knows or has an idea of how much each cement block weighs.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on the condition of your springs, I don't think 500 is a big deal. 500 in mine would be though lol. Right now I have 180 pounds in sandbags plus other gear so I probably have close to 230 pounds in there and it's fine. During the summer I run around with close to 500 pounds just in firewood pretty much all summer without issue. Sure I lose suspension travel but by no means have I found it dangerous or damaging to the truck.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #14
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Your truck has a 3/4 ton rating ? Mine used to be a 1/2 when stock, I've got 6 leafs per side & I'll bet I'm not rated for 3/4 ton

I had 1340lbs on the back when I went to scrap yard (they weigh your crap) & I was almost to the stops & the front end coulda almost come off the ground & didn't mention anything about offroading with that kind of load but one good pot hole with the weight your talking about & its over .. just sayin'
I just went by what the manual states. I haven't calculated it from the true GVWR, but I hauled a 1/2 yard of river rock on several occasions and a 1/2 ton of landscape block without issue.

Regardless of what I've legitimately hauled, 500 lbs should be fine on any configuration of these trucks unless the springs are junk. Just my opinion.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I put 783 in mine with the TSB springs on a pallet. Rode like a champ and virtually no sag.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
too much weight, get 2 80# sand bags.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #17
Here is the pictures of how the truck sits with the 2 blocks..

I took out 1 block and just leaving 1 in the bed. Just put the 1 in the bed right in the middle to even out the weight.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #18
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like my truck with nothing but the shell on it haha.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #19
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
You look a little heavy...I just use 4-6 75# sand bags full of gravel or 300#-450# as needed.

Perhaps a set of snow tires back there?
Old 12-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #20
Oh I took out 1 block.. Just sitting on 1 block now. I do have snow tires but lately the weather is off and on so I am just keeping my duratracs on for now.