Hello out there and Merry Christmas! I am new. Here is a problem I have with a 2002 Tacoma V6/auto with TRD Off Road package. This is only at cold start – runs ‘normal’after it warms up:
1) Afterengine catches, minor hesitation at idle that QUICKLY goes away. Idels ok fromthere on.
2) Under normal acceleration, power dies with much back firing out exhaust and up intake.
3) During extremely slow acceleration (little gasgiven to it), it slowly accelerates with no problem.
4) Asit warms up, it improves. When it is upto temp, it appears to run and accelerate fine.
What has been done to date:
1) Ashop cleaned the injectors by using an injector cleaner they hooked up toinjector intakes. – No change.
2) Ireplaced the plugs – when removed, plugs were wet (I believe with gas) in onebank and the other bank was dry. Problemstill existed.
3) Ireplaced the fuel filter. Problem stillexisted.
4) ReplacedPCV valve (pretty clogged). Problem still existed.
5) Tookit to dealer – looked at it and diagnosed it as a bad head gasket and replacedboth head gaskets. Also cleaned throttle body. Said it was fixed. Picked it up and it still had the sameproblem. This did not fix it. Got dealer in truck and showed him. They did further checking of all sensors andcontrols/timing/firing while driving it with portable laptop computer they hookedup (why didn’t they do this initially?). They said everything checked outnormal. They had a confab between shopforeman, technicians, service technician and service manager. They said that it may be a ‘bad engine’ butcould not specifically point to anything. I disagreed. They then decided torefund my money for the work they performed and handed the keys back tome. They washed their hands of the truck– wanted nothing more to do with it. At least got a new set of upper endgaskets on everything.
To note additionally:
1) Gascap hisses when removed.
2) Checkedtwo small evap. System valves on driver side under hood. Worked fine.
3) Nocracks in emission lines.
Does anyone have any suggestions?