Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

91 4runner map lights/mirror in a 99 taco

Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #21
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GT 79FJ40 View Post
You guys do know that a similar light was optional in extended cab Tacoma's right? My 98 had one and I installed one in my wife's old 98 too. Obviously a used part from something else is likely cheaper (iirc the map light/mirror/trim was around $85) but no painting required.
yes, but i paid 36 shipped and have two map lights. i asume your talking about the single front mount mirror light for 98-00? my buddy had one in his single cab and rear light. or u mean the map lights from 01-04 tacos? those r a lil nicer IMO but i'm happy with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffnoahd View Post
I paid 30 for mine with shipping and it was the color of my interior, so didnt have to paint or dye it.
i had leftover dye and i enjoy spray painting/dying so it wasn't a big deal. feel free to post pics of yalls new lighting additions!!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #22
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
yes, but i paid 36 shipped and have two map lights. i asume your talking about the single front mount mirror light for 98-00? my buddy had one in his single cab and rear light. or u mean the map lights from 01-04 tacos? those r a lil nicer IMO but i'm happy with mine.

i had leftover dye and i enjoy spray painting/dying so it wasn't a big deal. feel free to post pics of yalls new lighting additions!!

Nope the one my 98's had looked pretty much exactly like what you have. But for $36 you're certainly ahead. Mine was part of a lighting package. It came with the map lights, lighted ash tray, ignition surround, and glove box.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #23
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Nope the one my 98's had looked pretty much exactly like what you have. But for $36 you're certainly ahead. Mine was part of a lighting package. It came with the map lights, lighted ash tray, ignition surround, and glove box.
WHAAAA!!! omg i'm super now. i was just saying to myself i need lighted ignition the other day...

glove box would be dope and ashtray, although highly unlikely to need it lit, would be kinda kool too, but i'de rather it be my center console than ash tray!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
ffnoahd is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
ffnoahd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whered you find this lighting package? Or are you saying it was a factory package that came on you truck?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #25
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffnoahd View Post
Whered you find this lighting package? Or are you saying it was a factory package that came on you truck?
i'm thinkin dealership option
Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #26
SteveFaust is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
SteveFaust's Tacoma Gallery
Bumping this thread as I am hoping that someone that has done this can give me a little help with this for my 1995.5 Tacoma.

I got a map light mirror unit with the center switch for door lights from a 99 4Runner (looks just like the one in post #1) and I want to have it so that both the original overhead dome light and the new up front lights work all at once with door trigger for better cab lighting and got it installed. Figured the wiring would be no problem taping into the Tacoma dome light which has on/off/door switch. Tied into the dome light Black (power) & Blck/Wht (door trigger) to the appropriate leads on the new map light unit but having a couple issues:
1) new map lights work great unless the Tacoma dome light is on then they are extremely dim (barely lit).
2) new lights don't work at all when door opens regardless of switch setting (truck dome light still working properly)

I've tried playing with the wiring and am fairly confident I have tied into the wiring correctly but have the following concerns.
a) maybe the new unit is broken -- the map lights work with their switches but not at all with door trigger. How do I test the door trigger lighting feature?
b) It's possible that I have something wired incorrectly, but I have checked and rechecked. There are only two wires for crying out loud!
c) Maybe my wire splicing is poor (I used the standard blue splice clips so would think it is okay). Guess I can redo the whole thing. which may require redoing the factory lead to the original dome as it was barely long enough to get to the original dome and a pain to work with.

Shouldn't there be enough juice on the line to power all three lights when turned on yes (original dome and two front map lights)? Thus the dimming front lights when the original dome light is turned on is a concern and likely a clue here.

Enough babbling...any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #27
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFaust View Post
Bumping this thread as I am hoping that someone that has done this can give me a little help with this for my 1995.5 Tacoma.

I got a map light mirror unit with the center switch for door lights from a 99 4Runner (looks just like the one in post #1) and I want to have it so that both the original overhead dome light and the new up front lights work all at once with door trigger for better cab lighting and got it installed. Figured the wiring would be no problem taping into the Tacoma dome light which has on/off/door switch. Tied into the dome light Black (power) & Blck/Wht (door trigger) to the appropriate leads on the new map light unit but having a couple issues:
1) new map lights work great unless the Tacoma dome light is on then they are extremely dim (barely lit).
2) new lights don't work at all when door opens regardless of switch setting (truck dome light still working properly)

I've tried playing with the wiring and am fairly confident I have tied into the wiring correctly but have the following concerns.
a) maybe the new unit is broken -- the map lights work with their switches but not at all with door trigger. How do I test the door trigger lighting feature?
b) It's possible that I have something wired incorrectly, but I have checked and rechecked. There are only two wires for crying out loud!
c) Maybe my wire splicing is poor (I used the standard blue splice clips so would think it is okay). Guess I can redo the whole thing. which may require redoing the factory lead to the original dome as it was barely long enough to get to the original dome and a pain to work with.

Shouldn't there be enough juice on the line to power all three lights when turned on yes (original dome and two front map lights)? Thus the dimming front lights when the original dome light is turned on is a concern and likely a clue here.

Enough babbling...any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
is the gauge of the added wiring from the dome to the map lights the same as the dome light wires?

are the bulbs new and the right ones? is the fuse good?

did you use the wire harness for the map lights?

check all connections, including the bulb connections and wiring for corrosion and a "good" connection.

make sure you wired it the same way i did, if you don't have the proper wire harness for the map lights. if you do have the wire harness, you need to flip the wiring, so that the left wire on your harness is now the right wire and vice versa.

hope this helps!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #28

I pulled it back out and tested everything to eliminate variables. Fuse good, bulbs good, did temporary connectors to 4Runner map light unit from the Tacoma Dome light connector and unit functions properly (manual lights and door trigger lights). Likely that the issue is simply poor connections in my splices/wiring from the dome light leads.

Will pull and redo connections with new connectors and better gauge matched wire.

- Black 12v source at dome (leftish side of connector) to center post on 4Runner unit

- Black/White door trigger at dome (center) to outside/right post on 4Runner unit.

Created a simple line drawing diagram showing how wired, might be helpful to others:

Old 04-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #29
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
I pulled it back out and tested everything to eliminate variables. Fuse good, bulbs good, did temporary connectors to 4Runner map light unit from the Tacoma Dome light connector and unit functions properly (manual lights and door trigger lights). Likely that the issue is simply poor connections in my splices/wiring from the dome light leads.

Will pull and redo connections with new connectors and better gauge matched wire.

- Black 12v source at dome (leftish side of connector) to center post on 4Runner unit

- Black/White door trigger at dome (center) to outside/right post on 4Runner unit.

Created a simple line drawing diagram showing how wired, might be helpful to others:

nice diagram! i hope you get it working
Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
nice diagram! i hope you get it working
Thanks. Re-did the splices and connection wires from dome to new mirror lights and all working properly now, just as if it was a factory install. Main issue was the tap into the dome light wires.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #32
benzo is on a distinguished road
benzo's Tacoma Gallery
Can this map light be used to upgrade the light on the single cabs since singles doesn't have the rear dome light?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo View Post
Can this map light be used to upgrade the light on the single cabs since singles doesn't have the rear dome light?
Single cab doesn't have any type of dome light even at back above rear window?
Even if no dome you should be able to wire one with tie into the door plunger switches.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #34
se7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
I picked mine up at the junk yard for $10 and was like new and same color as my interior. Was from a 2nd gen 4runner.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #35
benzo's Tacoma Gallery
Steve, thanks for the reply. So I just need to tap from the door switch?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Steve, thanks for the reply. So I just need to tap from the door switch?
Quote:

Reference the earlier diagram
- Black 12v source (in this case from existing dome light, but if no existing dome light locate from other constant source) to center post on 4Runner unit

- Black/White from door trigger at dome (in this case from existing dome light, but if no dome light locate from door plunger switch) to outside/right post on 4Runner unit.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #37
benzo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Steve, will give it a shot this weekend.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #38
benzo's Tacoma Gallery
Got it to work, thanks again for your help.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Got it to work, thanks again for your help.
My pleasure. Glad you got it working, well done!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #40
Hillbilly 2nd class
valleyboy is on a distinguished road

valleyboy's Tacoma Gallery
After years of cursing the lack of map lights in my Taco I went to the junk yard & got one from a 4Runner, the colour doesn't match & I don't have the door switch option but I Finally Have One!

Edited to add:I just painted it gray to match the headliner & put some high power led bulbs innit.....like that Corey Hart song goes..... "I wear my sunglasses at night"....