Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

91 4runner map lights/mirror in a 99 taco

Old 12-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb 91 4runner map lights/mirror in a 99 taco

i just got this in the mail today. i've already dyed it black so it doesn't look as bad with my blue-ish, grey interior, and i intend to use my old mirror instead of the brown one.

i found a good write up here but it doesn't address how to make the map lights come on when the door opens (yes it has a door switch). also it mentions the plug (two prongs) in the back of the housing that i do not have, so i'm not really sure how to approach this. any ideas?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Trail Leader
Snorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Snorks
Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
Your fucked
Old 12-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Trail Leader
Snorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
J/k

Does your truck already have a dome light?

Splice into that if you do.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkie View Post
Your fucked
haha... ya it had a dome light, i know how to splice into it from the write up, my question is do i wire one prong to the hot wire (wire from dome) or both or what?

oh and i havent moved to kuntzville yet so if u wanna lend a hand or supervise... i'll bring the beer lol
Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Trail Leader

Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
One wire should have constant power and the other wire will only have power when the door is open.

Does your dome light have a on/off/door switch on it?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

yes
Old 12-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Trail Leader

Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
I can help after the holidays if ur not able to figure it out. Post a picture of the wires coming out.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Two prong wire harness receiver for map lites
Old 12-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

thinkin i'm just gunna use some female quick crimps to attach to the two prongs and run e to the dome thru the head liner... BUT i cant get the oh shit handle off to access a pillar/drop headliner and the screws r starting to strip so i stopped fucking w/ them... where to go from here?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
ffnoahd is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
ffnoahd's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered one and am going to do this to my 95. Keep me posted!!
Old 12-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
Subbed. This is a great idea.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

got it installed!!

for those, like me, who didnt get the wire harness:

i bought some tiny female quick crimps from advance auto for 7 bucks to put over the two prongs from the map lights. the center prong (left-ish) is the 12v and needs to be wired to the black wire in the dome light. the right prong is the door ground and needs to be wired to the black/white wire of dome lite. be sure to remove the fuze before this install. if u splice it up right, you will have full functioning map lights and retain full functioning dome light.

i couldn't get my o shit handle off... i stripped the screws... so i used a coat hanger to fish some stereo wire from the dome to the mirror. yes this whole mod was a pain in my ass. yes i love the extra light. no you dont need a wire harness

all my lights work as the factory intended (door on/off... etc), im very happy!
Old 12-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
That looks great!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
Firefighter:
ffnoahd's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, ordered mine last week, gonna do this after christmas and add led's for extra bright light.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

i'm happy with it as is, I did enough work i dont want to do LEDs and then run into any more problems lol... plus the bulbs that came with it from ebay work!! i didn't expect that at all since it was used and in some what questionable condition (bought the cheapest one i could find)
Old 12-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
Firefighter:
ffnoahd's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, I will let you know how mine goes :-) merry christmas!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

merry xmas
Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
Firefighter:
ffnoahd's Tacoma Gallery
Got mine installed today, it was easy. Thanks for the tips!!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #19
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
You guys do know that a similar light was optional in extended cab Tacoma's right? My 98 had one and I installed one in my wife's old 98 too. Obviously a used part from something else is likely cheaper (iirc the map light/mirror/trim was around $85) but no painting required.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
Firefighter:
ffnoahd's Tacoma Gallery
I paid 30 for mine with shipping and it was the color of my interior, so didnt have to paint or dye it.