Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Catastrophic failure caused by lift?

Old 12-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
hkdontoyotas is on a distinguished road
hkdontoyotas's Tacoma Gallery
I just replaced my lbj with moog from rock auto.com and they came with grease zerk fittings. was not to bad of a job to do if you have some minor mechanical experience.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
santabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant futuresantabarbarataco has a brilliant future

Name: jordan
santabarbarataco's Tacoma Gallery
This makes me worried about mine... They been leaking grease for a while
Old 12-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #23
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't this a pretty widely known issue?

Glad you're okay OP. I'd have everything swapped out with new BJs.

Oh and Monte, do you mean the knuckle!?
Old 12-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #25
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
x2...and the lift is not the cause. It can and does happen to stock vehicles
+1

There was a lower balljoint recall on the 1st Gen Tundra covering up to 2005.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #26
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
This is why visual inspections and maintenance are key.

x2

OP, glad no one was hurt much, you may not like what I'm gonna say but here goes....

I find it hard to believe that this suddenly happened, ball joint failures like this are due to neglect, it HAD to have driven & handled like shit for awhile before it sheered, luckily you were going slow when it finally signed off
Old 12-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #28
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
That's not the lift. That's driver error. Your ball joint had been worn out for a long time.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #29
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
I always check mine for play mostly due to the first gen problems and the tundra problems. I usually squeeze the lowers with my large pair of channel locks and then lift up at the bottom of each front wheel when I do an oil change. You can definitely notice when they are loose.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #30
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
x2

OP, glad no one was hurt much, you may not like what I'm gonna say but here goes....

I find it hard to believe that this suddenly happened, ball joint failures like this are due to neglect, it HAD to have driven & handled like shit for awhile before it sheered, luckily you were going slow when it finally signed off
This has been the case with every suspension part I've ever replaced. If it isn't caught during an inspection, a minor noise or vibration draws attention to the problem long before complete failure. Of course, that goes for most problems.

As was mentioned, replace them in pairs unless you have good reason not to, such as having just replaced the intact side. As old as your truck is, and as bad as that failure was, I'd take it to a frame & suspension shop and have the entire suspension inspected. I'll bet there's more fail to be found.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #31
rzgkane is on a distinguished road
rzgkane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
This has been the case with every suspension part I've ever replaced. If it isn't caught during an inspection, a minor noise or vibration draws attention to the problem long before complete failure. Of course, that goes for most problems.

As was mentioned, replace them in pairs unless you have good reason not to, such as having just replaced the intact side. As old as your truck is, and as bad as that failure was, I'd take it to a frame & suspension shop and have the entire suspension inspected. I'll bet there's more fail to be found.
"All of the sudden, my car runs out of gas."

No, your car was low on gas for at least 40 miles before it finally gave up. You just didn't pay any attention to it.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #32
dust ...
chris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Chris
chris66's Tacoma Gallery
hm that sucks. toyota replaced my balljoints according to a recall ... recently though i removed my strut and unbolted the lower ball joint and swaybar and after putting everything back together i have a little squeak .. not sure if i didnt notice it before or if it is new but now im scared
Old 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #33
selftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Aaron
selftaughtguru's Tacoma Gallery
Havnt seen one do that in quite sometime. I haven't looked closely to be sure but I'm thinking the load is transfered in the same manor as 1G. A design which requires a different method to check for play than your standard setup. Seen many worn out balljoints missed due to ignorance.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #34
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris66 View Post
hm that sucks. toyota replaced my balljoints according to a recall ... recently though i removed my strut and unbolted the lower ball joint and swaybar and after putting everything back together i have a little squeak .. not sure if i didnt notice it before or if it is new but now im scared

Ball joints are not hard to check, first look at the rubber grease cup that encloses the stem. Is it ripped ,torn or is it even there ?? After that if its damaged you can bet its dry of grease usually, with front of vehicle raised off ground grab the wheel at 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock & wiggle it there should be almost zero play, do the same thing side to side by grabbing the wheel at 9 & 3 (o'clock) Or if you see shiny metal below the rubber grease cup thats another indicator that a lot of wear has taken place as the ball is wearing away at the socket, this is really what you're looking for because the walls of the socket are getting thin, after that 1 hard bump or pothole too many & seperation takes place.....

Check tie rod ends pretty much the same way..
Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #35
dust ...
chris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Chris
chris66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Ball joints are not hard to check, first look at the rubber grease cup that encloses the stem. Is it ripped ,torn or is it even there ?? After that if its damaged you can bet its dry of grease usually, with front of vehicle raised off ground grab the wheel at 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock & wiggle it there should be almost zero play, do the same thing side to side by grabbing the wheel at 9 & 3 (o'clock) Or if you see shiny metal below the rubber grease cup thats another indicator that a lot of wear has taken place as the ball is wearing away at the socket, this is really what you're looking for because the walls of the socket are getting thin, after that 1 hard bump or pothole too many & seperation takes place.....

Check tie rod ends pretty much the same way..
Will definitely check in the morning. Only thing is my bjs were replaced last year
Old 01-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #36
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
See if your VIN was included in the LBJ recall. Mine was, and Toyota replaced them immediately for free, and aligned it. Just call a dealer and give them the VIN. If so, they should be doing this repair for you.

A batch had a manufactuting defect, hence the recall.

As other have said, several members have had the LBJ nuts come loose and the bolts come out, some hanging by a thread. Inspect regularly.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #37
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
My driver side lower ball joint failed me on my 96 in September of 2011, ball joint wasn't leaking nor was anything loose because I had recently checked all of them after I noticed my passenger side upper ball joint was leaking. It can happen without any signs, I had no vibrations and my alignment was perfectly fine.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #38
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
My driver side lower ball joint failed me on my 96 in September of 2011, ball joint wasn't leaking nor was anything loose because I had recently checked all of them after I noticed my passenger side upper ball joint was leaking. It can happen without any signs, I had no vibrations and my alignment was perfectly fine.
What was found to be wrong with the ball joint?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #39
jetlag is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
jetlag's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same failure on my 1996 Tacoma stock height. Recently installed Moog lower ball joint and it's forge steel, not sure if the stock/oem are forge or not.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #40
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
What was found to be wrong with the ball joint?
I couldn't tell, way to much damage...