Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Catastrophic failure caused by lift?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #41
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
They are all forged then detail machined - cheapest way to make them.

1st gen Taco lower ball joint will pop out when it fails. Toyota inverted it for 2nd gens so the weight of the truck keeps the ball in the socket even when the joint wears out.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #42
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
^yep the design isn't the best b/c it is complete fail if the joint goes.

i checked both my lowers a week ago by lifting the lca's and placing a prybar inbtwn the joint to get good leverage. my pass side didn't budge at all while my drivef moved a few mm with me pulling as hard as could on the prybar, but i think it is still good enough to last until summer time or spring break at least. i think they say more than 5 mm displacement at 50 lbs is a go for replacement.

but i'll certainty be calling dealer to see if i can get replaced for free but doubt it b/c the mytoyota website which has my VIN has given me any eligible recalls

we had a very bad ball joint on an '85 volvo and the car and steering wheel would shake excessively at a certain turning degree. OP did you notice any shaking at all?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #43
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
I couldn't tell, way to much damage...
Was that the original ball joint?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #44
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68dave View Post
BJ failure. Check the pass. side, If its the same age as the dr. side replace that side also. I agree with Eric, get moog parts, still american made. Watch out for the chinese junk thats out there.
did someone say BJ?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #45
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Grinding noises in a BJ is bad news.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #46
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
^Grinding noises in a BJ is bad news.
Unless it's....

No... not that either....
Old 01-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #47
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Well, it's comforting to know ball joint failures occur on all kinds of vehicles, like this Pathfinder.

Also note the uneven panel gap between the fender and front door.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #48
"I Brake for Tailgaters"
prerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
prerunnerSD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
That's not the lift. That's driver error. Your ball joint had been worn out for a long time.
the lift and bigger tires didn't help ... more trouble than its worth it seems.. think i wanna dial it down a bit to reduce stress
Old 02-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #49
"I Brake for Tailgaters"
prerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtacomaTIGER View Post
^yep the design isn't the best b/c it is complete fail if the joint goes.

i checked both my lowers a week ago by lifting the lca's and placing a prybar inbtwn the joint to get good leverage. my pass side didn't budge at all while my drivef moved a few mm with me pulling as hard as could on the prybar, but i think it is still good enough to last until summer time or spring break at least. i think they say more than 5 mm displacement at 50 lbs is a go for replacement.

but i'll certainty be calling dealer to see if i can get replaced for free but doubt it b/c the mytoyota website which has my VIN has given me any eligible recalls

we had a very bad ball joint on an '85 volvo and the car and steering wheel would shake excessively at a certain turning degree. OP did you notice any shaking at all?
i think about this in a diiferent way than some of you die hard lift lovers.. like a chain any system is only as strong as its weakest link.. with bigger tires and a lift i added more weight to this "chain" and after a year the weakest link which was the LBJ failed.. would this have happened eventually? maybe.. did the lift and bigger tires allow it to wear more excessively? you betcha!!

but now just trying to understand what to do now? do i just take the lift out all together? i kind of didntt like the way this lift handles anyway... i think the bigger tires are the largest disadvantage but that has nothing to do with the lift.. i heard my angles are bad anyway.. btw billys are set at middle setting.. anyone recommend a shop anywhere in new england? im in boston...

Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #50
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerSD View Post
i think about this in a diiferent way than some of you die hard lift lovers.. like a chain any system is only as strong as its weakest link.. with bigger tires and a lift i added more weight to this "chain" and after a year the weakest link which was the LBJ failed.. would this have happened eventually? maybe.. did the lift and bigger tires allow it to wear more excessively? you betcha!!

but now just trying to understand what to do now? do i just take the lift out all together? i kind of didntt like the way this lift handles anyway... i think the bigger tires are the largest disadvantage but that has nothing to do with the lift.. i heard my angles are bad anyway.. btw billys are set at middle setting.. anyone recommend a shop anywhere in new england? im in boston...
Maybe? Nope. If a ball joint is kept in service long enough, it will definitely fail. No doubt about it. That's why several people have mentioned the need for inspections, regardless of whether the vehicle is lifted or not. I've seen several cars that suffered catastrophic tie rod end or ball joint failures, and none of them was lifted. More than likely, they'd just run the OEM parts into the ground.

How many miles were on the failed ball joint? That's the critical question. Have your truck's suspension thoroughly inspected and replace the worn out parts. No need to dump the lift or tires unless you're just tired of them. A properly installed lift shouldn't shorten the life of your suspension to the point where you have to replace components all that frequently.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #51
"I Brake for Tailgaters"

thats fair thanks... i think they were original actually and the cv boots had been leaking for months (opps).. check out this pic of the current condition the the suspension... dont you think the angles of all the components are too severe and causing too much stress anyway?? what do i do??

should i put in moog lbj on both sides???

Old 02-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #53
"I Brake for Tailgaters"

my gut is that my lift needs to be tweaked a little... its a lil too high for me anyway im 5'7 and i feel like it way to high up... its got the eibach front coil springs and the adjust billsteins at middle setting...
Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #54
"I Brake for Tailgaters"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
Seen it happen on a back road on a stock truck 8miles from a paved road
aaah i dont wanna die!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #55
"I Brake for Tailgaters"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
Seen it happen on a back road on a stock truck 8miles from a paved road
eeh u can keep ur lift im all for it but my gut says it causes more wear and i'll never shake that thought.. mebbe not hauling an elephant wear but it changes things no doubt
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #56
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
thats fair thanks... i think they were original actually and the cv boots had been leaking for months (opps).. check out this pic of the current condition the the suspension... dont you think the angles of all the components are too severe and causing too much stress anyway?? what do i do??

should i put in moog lbj on both sides???
Do you plan to do the work yourself or have a shop do it?

I once rebuilt a beat to piss Chevy LUV 4X4. Most of the front suspension was shot, but I didn't know what needed to be replaced, and I didn't have enough money to replace everything. I took it to a good suspension shop and asked for an inspection, with the agreement that I'd pay them do the alignment and adjust the torsion suspension after I replaced the parts they found bad. They were cool with that agreement and it worked out well for the shop and me.

If you're willing to do the work yourself, that's the route I'd suggest. Once the worn out suspension parts are identified and replaced, the suspension can be adjusted and aligned, with the CV joint angles being considered. Running a lift will shorten the life of the CV joints, since they're having to deal with more of an offset load. If yours are ok, you may be able to improve the lifespan of the boots by stretching them a little (search for threads). Replacement drive axles (or whatever Toyota calls them) aren't all that expensive, btw.

Once you have everything tip top, spend some time learning how to perform the necessary inspections, or make sure a shop does it at least annually - more frequently if you offroad much. Also, thoroughly inspect the CV boots at every oil change to avoid unscheduled down time.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #57
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
eeh u can keep ur lift im all for it but my gut says it causes more wear and i'll never shake that thought.. mebbe not hauling an elephant wear but it changes things no doubt
Sure, a lift will cause more wear, but we aren't talking about the difference between several years for OEM compared to mere months for a lifted truck. If that were the case, there'd be all kinds of people posting about ball joint failure every day. Greaseable, aftermarket parts will last longer than non-greaseable OEM equivalents as long as they're maintained. Everything will eventually fail, but a good inspection routine will probably catch a failing part before something bad happens. Of course, all bets are off for offroad use.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #58
"I Brake for Tailgaters"

i would love to do it myself but my left hand is casted from surgery and im living in the middle of no wear it seems like no one can recommend a mechanic in boston lol... i dont mind taking care of my truck but this might work out better if i was back living in san diego where the roads are better and its easier to find parts and people who kno this truck...

im looking for a practical way to make this thing safe to drive for now.. mebbe reduce the lift a lil and put on stock tires which i can get easy enough...
Old 02-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #59
Backdoor Commentator

Sorry to hear about the hand. Good luck with that.
Quote:
im looking for a practical way to make this thing safe to drive for now.. mebbe reduce the lift a lil and put on stock tires which i can get easy enough...
Just find a suspension or frame shop and see what an inspection reveals. At the least, both LCA ball joints will need to be replaced, but other parts may also need to be refreshed. You can always try a dealership and see what they say. That might be a good reference point for competing bids.

Once the worn out stuff is replaced, the lift can be lowered if that's what you want. No matter what, worn out parts need to go.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #60
Milowilli
Milowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Miles
Milowilli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Sorry to hear about the hand. Good luck with that.

Just find a suspension or frame shop and see what an inspection reveals. At the least, both LCA ball joints will need to be replaced, but other parts may also need to be refreshed. You can always try a dealership and see what they say. That might be a good reference point for competing bids.

Once the worn out stuff is replaced, the lift can be lowered if that's what you want. No matter what, worn out parts need to go.
Bad design on First Gen Tacomas, Tundras, Sequoias, and 3rd Gen 4Runners..
As I said before Toyota Screwed up on this one big time. These failures only occur on these gen trucks...it's a shame.