Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Catastrophic failure caused by lift?

Old 12-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
"I Brake for Tailgaters"
prerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
prerunnerSD's Tacoma Gallery
Catastrophic failure caused by lift?

Catastrophic failure caused by lift or suspension I've had this lift in my truck for over a year and everything seems fine I have adjustable Billstein coils in the front and adjustable Billsteinsd in the back as well as slightly larger tires installed by a pro. As you see in the photo the driver side's Tire rod or CV joint I'm not sure snapped luckily I was only going 20 miles an hour and no one else on the road and I came to a stop safely and I'm okay except for a bump to the head but it could've been much worse.

Truck is in the shop looking for answers of how I can prevent this from happening in the future. Is there anything I should tell the shop to reinforce or look out for?

Old 12-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like the lower balljoint failed, which then caused the cv axle to pull out of the housing.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
Looks like the lower balljoint failed, which then caused the cv axle to pull out of the housing.
x2...and the lift is not the cause. It can and does happen to stock vehicles
Old 12-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Sucks man I'm glad your ok. I'm with the other two and not thinking the lift caused this. My 2000 runner has been lifted a lot longer than that with out this issue.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ving-pics.html

Welcome to the club.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
"I Brake for Tailgaters"
prerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

what should i do to prevent this happening??? can i beef it up somehow
Old 12-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. Lower ball joint failure. Probably not related to lift or tires...

Nothing you could have done. LBJ just failed and they are not grease-able so its not a maintenance issue.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerSD View Post
what should i do to prevent this happening??? can i beef it up somehow
get MOOG ball joints, cant really do anything to stop it besides switching to a uniball. which you need custom lowers and a custom spindle made, mise well just go LT if you do that......
Old 12-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
You just need to keep an eye on the LBJ bolts. My buddies almost blew out too on a trail. Only have two bolts half way in.
the actual balljoint failed, not the other thingy thas has 4 bolts in it. sorry dont know what its called.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
This is why visual inspections and maintenance are key.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
"I Brake for Tailgaters"

the other side is leaking grease too...
Old 12-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
"I Brake for Tailgaters"

so was it the ball joint or spindle mount that failed? with the wayu they towed it.. they didnt seem to know what they were doing.. they may have caused even more damage to under carraige
Old 12-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
x2...and the lift is not the cause. It can and does happen to stock vehicles
x2...there was a recall/tsb on these for 1st gens IIRC.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
the balljoint and spindle mount are supposed to be one piece. That is considered the lower balljoint. 4 bolts bolt it to the spindle with a taper bolt with a castle nut that bolts to the lower control arm.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
rzgkane is on a distinguished road
rzgkane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerSD View Post
Catastrophic failure caused by lift or suspension I've had this lift in my truck for over a year and everything seems fine I have adjustable Billstein coils in the front and adjustable Billsteinsd in the back as well as slightly larger tires installed by a pro. As you see in the photo the driver side's Tire rod or CV joint I'm not sure snapped luckily I was only going 20 miles an hour and no one else on the road and I came to a stop safely and I'm okay except for a bump to the head but it could've been much worse.

Truck is in the shop looking for answers of how I can prevent this from happening in the future. Is there anything I should tell the shop to reinforce or look out for?

Toyota makes great vehicles. Their ball joints are the least great components in them. Why is that?
Old 12-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #20
68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
68dave's Tacoma Gallery
BJ failure. Check the pass. side, If its the same age as the dr. side replace that side also. I agree with Eric, get moog parts, still american made. Watch out for the chinese junk thats out there.