1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backup Camera Install

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by smuook, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Dec 26, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    smuook

smuook [OP] Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    2004 Tacoma DoubleCab Backup Camera Install

I finally got around to installing a backup camera on my Taco. I have a cap on my bed with a tinted window on the back, so I’m looking through 3 panes of glass and variable amounts of dirt when backing up. My visibility ranges from ‘ok’ on a sunny day to downright dangerous. I have small kids and we have several more in my neighborhood, so getting a backup camera is a must for me. I didn’t want to break the bank, so I limited myself to $100.

Here is the camera kit I bought:

http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/sc0301-sc3102.html

It has decent reviews, night capability, wired system, and only $70. My first installation provided some lessons learned for others, so I thought I’d share them with you. I decided to mount the camera high on the basket on top of the cab. My thinking was that I’d get a top down view and be able to get closer to objects. I also wired it to only use the backup light as the sole means of turning it on. Here is the initial install:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Although not entirely a bad install, I really wasn’t satisfied. As it turns out… the top view is not the ideal mounting for the camera. It actually limits you much more than I would have guessed. You end up seeing a lot less and too late, as I have learned. Also, I wanted to be able to turn it on while when I wanted, not only in reverse. Finally, I actually ran out of video cable and needed a 4 foot extension to reach the monitor. Although it still work, less cabling and less connections is better.

So I ended up modifying the setup to put the camera on the license plate and add a push button to apply power whenever I wanted. This my current setup and it is how I’d recommend to others who are interested.

Here is the parts list:
    Backup camera and monitor kit - $73.94
    Switch – Radio Shack 275-1566 - $3.19
    Diode – Radio Shack 276-1102 - $1.19
    Flex tubing – Home Depot - $2.48

Woohoo… about $80… perfect. $20 under budget goes to beer when I’m done. I’m drinking one now so I hopefully I’ll get through this writeup.

The rest I had on hand.
    1.5” Aluminum strip for mounting bracket (bought at Home Depot some time ago), 3/8” drill bit for switch hole, Solder and soldering iron, Wire Connectors, Wire, Electrical tape, Tie wraps

Tools – 14mm socket for seatbelt bolt, 10mm socket for driver’s “oh shit” handle, Phillips screw driver, wire crimpers, wire cutters, vise, hammer, other things I might have forgot.

[​IMG]

I made the bracket by cutting a strip on aluminum I bought from a while ago… very easy to work with. I put it in a vice and bent with a hammer. The bracket sticks out 1.5”, the bend near the map lights is about 0.5”, and the bend on the back of the monitor is about 0.75”. These don’t have to be exact, but I highly recommend using 1.5” wide bracket, as it fits perfectly between the map lights and doesn’t interfere with their operation. After the fact, I cut a 3/8” hole in the center of the extension to mount the switch on the bottom.

[​IMG]

Just so you know, be careful taking on and off the map light enclosure. There are plastic tabs that click into the metal frame underneath. These wear out after repeated on and off cycles. I had to mount some “stay screws” above the map switches… you can see one in the picture. The wires run between the headliner and the metal frame. I did drill down the metal frame and outer plastic to make a grove for the wires to pass.

For the camera, I drilled grooves in the back of the licenses plate mount for the wire. It comes from underneath and routes up through the grooves, into the natural cutout in the bumper. I drilled holes in the back and tie wrapped the wire to the bumper. One thing to be careful about is to make sure your video is not upside down. Both on the camera and monitor, looking from the front as mounted, the cable goes into the device on the bottom left corner.

[​IMG]

Now for the electrical part… in a prior life, I used to dabble with electronics. Here is the overall schematic:

[​IMG]

The camera has a video connector and power connector. The power connector gets routed to the tail light where it taps into the green wire to the middle light (backup light) and the white w/ black wire (ground). This is one of the power sources. I installed a diode here to allow current to flow only from the backup lights to the red in the schematic. So, if I powered it with the map light with the push button, it wouldn’t turn the backup light on. The silver band on the diode is the cathode and should go away from the backup light and towards the camera. Then I put some heat shrink on it and electrical tape for good measure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wires run down and all the connections are made adjacent to the spare tire. Note that the power wire runs to both the camera power connector and to the red wire on the video cable. This will send the same signal up to the monitor. All the external wires go into flex tubing and run along the frame to under an entry hole under the rear passenger seat.

[​IMG]

Then I took the left center door pillar panels off. This will require popping off the seat belt cap on the adjustable height mechanism by removing the 14mm bolt. I taped the wires to the truck so they wouldn’t get caught on anything.

[​IMG]

Then the really fun part, the headliner. If you haven’t messed with this before, it is a pain in the arse. Just know then there is all sorts of crap up there… insulation, plastic filler, etc. I found the best thing to do is to remove the drivers visor and handle, and route the cable to a hole behind the visor that will bring it through a tunnel to the map lights.

[​IMG]

The next pic you can see the video cable coming through with the power tap I used for the red button. This then goes from the other terminal of the button to connected to the red cable. The ground wire is connected to the gray wires inside the metal frame of the map light enclosure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the big questions is… does it work? Hells yeah it does. Pretty good too. Anytime you are in reverse, the camera and video turn on in about 1/2 second. The monitor looks good, not HD by any means, but you can clearly see things behind you with adequate detail. Works at night as well with infrared and only black and white. With accessory power or truck running, by holding up the red button, this also turns on the system. So you can look behind you while you are moving forward.

A couple of things I’ve noticed, just so you know:
    - Without the key in the ignition, if you press the red button, it will cause the dome light to flash and the system won’t work. I don’t see this as an issue because I’m not driving and don't intend to use it like this.
    - You can press the red button and reverse at the same time and it won’t hurt anything… again, I don’t see me doing this but it is nice to know.
    - Pressing the red button at night causes red infrared leds outside of camera to come on and brighten the display. This didn’t seem to happen with the backup light. This may be a difference in voltage because of a loss across the diode. Not sure, but no big deal. I can see fine with or without LEDs on.

That’s about it. It was a few hours of work and a little bit of electrical know how and customization, but it was a fun project and definitely happy with the results.

GPsevinSixx, Beee1985 and Crom like this.
  2. Dec 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Very cool man!

Lots of good stuff here..sad I don't have the map lights..

3. Dec 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    Hey thanks! You could do it with any accessory power source... and put the switch on the dash. You would have to run some wiring down the front pillar but it would work the same.

4. Dec 26, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Yea I know it'll be possible :D

Just not as confident. I do like the push button idea tho!

5. Dec 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Like the install, a lottle complicated for me. I already have a double din stereo that has a plug in for a backup camera, been wanting to get one for awhile. Can I use an on/off switch in place of the momentary switch? Then I wouldn't have to hold it.

6. Dec 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Yes you can.

7. Dec 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    JRFugitt

JRFugitt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '13 PreRunner V6
    Exelent write up, good job!

8. Dec 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM
    95tacos

95tacos Active Member

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma
    The infrared LEDs might not kick on when going into reverse because the reverse lights are providing just enough light for the camera to think there is enough light to operate without the LEDs.. Just a though.

9. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:04 AM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Thanks!

Yeah, you might be right.

=====

I uploaded a video to demonstrate the camera. I tried to shoot from the angle of the drivers perspective. First, I just operated the map lights to show that they still work. Then I test the system by going in reverse, then by using the switch under the monitor. I didn't want to record while driving, but the switch works while driving forward, or anytime the ignition is in accessory or on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGbEi3XD96Y

The camera works pretty good in all lighting conditions.

10. Dec 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    I more small detail... I was finding that I had an issue with the camera intermittently blinking. I figured out it was occuring when the brake lights first came on. I traced it down to a ground problem. Do not share the same ground as the brake light. Instead, I used a hole in the brake light area, scraped off the paint to make a good ground, and mounted the camera ground wire here. I also put a 1000 microfarad capacitor downstream of the diode as voltage 'shock absorber', but I think that might be overkill and probably not needed. But wow, video is much better all around. No streaking and no blinking. I think it is as perfect as it will get. Job complete.

[​IMG]

11. Jan 8, 2013 at 6:45 AM
    w00dy

w00dy Hey Now!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    North of the Wall
    Vehicle:
    03 dCab tURD
    BAMF kick out sliders, SkidRow skids,Pro Comp 7069, Kelly Safari TSR 285's, Elite front bumpa, OME 883 & Dakars w/ D6XL AAL, Nitro sport shocks, Eddie209 Soft topper, Satoshi, k&n fipk, Clarion vx400, Ultra Gauge, Debadgination mod
    Great write up!
    I have a double din with a camera option. This is making me want to hook one up. :thumbsup:

12. Jan 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Almost 2 weeks now and I love it. It's a bit of work, but I'm glad I did it and love the camera. Everyone who has seen it likes it too... great addition for me.

13. Jan 9, 2013 at 6:26 AM
    TacoSkeet

TacoSkeet 'MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 DC Tacoma
    awesome write up and cool idea too!

14. Aug 15, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    BeaverYota

BeaverYota Oregon State Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    Sold...
    I'm going out on a limb to see if you'll reply. I have a 2008 I'm doing this to but using an on off on switch instead and putting it in a different spot. Still pretty much the same thing add how you installed? I only have a video feed running into the cab so do I need to run s power wire back from the cab to the camera for the switch to control it as well

15. Aug 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM
    stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    The Sovereign State of Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1997 LX Xtracab 4x4 V6 3.4L
    Eh, see my Build Thread sig link. Too many mods to list.
  16. Aug 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    BeaverYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    Sold...
    Do I need to run an additional power wire from the cab back to the camera then?

17. Aug 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM
    BeaverYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    Sold...
    I've got my camera and screen coming on with reverse, but not on any other time.. please help. I'm not the best with wiring.

18. Aug 16, 2014 at 6:35 PM
    wncjim

wncjim Active Member

Member:
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    I have a pioneer touch screen with a clarion camera. It works great.

19. Mar 11, 2016 at 11:07 AM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    Hopefully the OP is still around...Regarding your monitor installation from 3 years ago: How did you work around the rocker switch that is between the two maplight buttons? I appears that your bracket covers it. Or?

Monitor image.jpg

20. Mar 14, 2016 at 3:26 AM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    I don't have rocker sw between map light buttons. My bracket fits neatly between the two pushbuttons. Possibly and add on to your vehicle or different year?

Products Discussed in

To Top