Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ticking Noise - Timing Belt?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
Ticking Noise - Timing Belt?

I'm hearing some noise that sounds like ticking, it is independent of vehicle speed but directly affected by engine speed, so I think it is coming from a belt. It is loud enough to hear from the drivers seat while idling at a light and it is near the front of the engine bay too. I don't have an expert ear for this kind of stuff and it is hard to locate but I saw a thread for a different model year that mentioned timing belts should be replaced about 90k, does this apply to my 2000 Tacoma? Could this be making that noise?

I have not replaced any belts at all during the time I have owned the truck. I bought it about four years ago at 70k, it is now at 135k.

If I take it to a mechanic what would they check, and are those things I can check myself?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Yikes. Any other opinions on this?

Which of those can I do myself?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidro_el_pirata View Post
Yikes. Any other opinions on this?

Which of those can I do myself?
All of them if you know how. Or know someone who will be willing to help.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #5

Okay, I'd classify myself as a shade-tree mechanic that has no problem with oil filters but I've never gotten deeper than the spark plugs on my truck. I saw another thread saying it would take a dealer 4 hours to do these things, that probably equates to an entire weekend for me and a lot of mistakes and redoing things... Hmmmm
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a 4-cyl. Don't know about that yr., but on the older 4 cyl's there is a timing chain, with a chain tensioner and 2 chain guides. If one of the guides breaks it will cause that type of noise.
I had that happen on two motors, with about the same milage.

If it has a belt, it may be as simple as a valve being out of adjustment.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #8

The chain or the guides?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #11

Just spoke with a mechanic who was recommended by a friend. He will be investigating the noise starting with new belts.

How much should I expect it to cost for him to change the water pump and thermostat too?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
Taco
superswamper003 is a name known to allsuperswamper003 is a name known to allsuperswamper003 is a name known to allsuperswamper003 is a name known to allsuperswamper003 is a name known to allsuperswamper003 is a name known to all

Name: Hendrik
superswamper003's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just spoke with a mechanic who was recommended by a friend. He will be investigating the noise starting with new belts.

How much should I expect it to cost for him to change the water pump and thermostat too?
Well you have a timing chain not a timing belt but anyways, the water pump and thermostat shouldnt be too much more at all because those two parts are very easy to access once you have everything else removed for the timing chain job. The kit for your truck is around 220 bucks not including the thermostat, but the thermostat isnt much at all.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #13

At this rate we are talking about the other belts and not the timing chain any more. I want to start with the easy stuff. Also I read up on the water pump & thermostat replacement discussion. Lots of different opinions. Ultimately I'm not going to do anything right now unless absolutely necessary.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
My 2.7 has a tick. It only ticks when I let off the gas or the engine is idling. It only seems to do it when it's cold out. Never caused an issue.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
At this rate we are talking about the other belts and not the timing chain any more. I want to start with the easy stuff. Also I read up on the water pump & thermostat replacement discussion. Lots of different opinions. Ultimately I'm not going to do anything right now unless absolutely necessary.
Have him check your valves may just need to be adjusted. Mine had a tick, was out of spec, small adj and good to go
Old 01-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
Tacoma7382 is on a distinguished road
Tacoma7382's Tacoma Gallery
I would check under the hood to see if there is a sticker with a date or near the timing belt housing and last but not least, near the radiator shroud.. I have an 03 4x4 DC with about 115k and I'm getting the timing belt water pump thermostat all done next month.. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #17

As others have said, and I have since verified, I have a timing chain. I have read both sides of the debate about replacing the water pump and at this time I will not be replacing it unless the mechanic recommends otherwise. I am willing to take a risk and wait until it shows some signs of wear before replacing it. I pay AAA and they will tow me 200 miles if something fails.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #18

The mechanic found nothing wrong and said the engine is just getting a little "noisy" in its old age. Belts looked fine too.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The mechanic found nothing wrong and said the engine is just getting a little "noisy" in its old age. Belts looked fine too.
Try a thicker oil
Old 01-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Good news!
Edit: second post above about no issue.