Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New battery terminals - Few Questions -

Old 12-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
HammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant future

Name: Jake
HammerHead's Tacoma Gallery
New battery terminals - Few Questions -

First, I did do a search on this before asking, so unless I'm searching under the wrong key words, there doesn't seem much specific discussion on this (some discussion in the audio/ visual section but not specific).

So, it looks like I need to replace the positive battery terminal to my 04 Taco as it keep popping off and no amount of tightening the clamp will keep it in position. Good opportunity to upgrade! With that a few questions:

1) Should I replace the cables as well as the terminals, or just the terminals? I know that the terminal switcheroo is pretty easy, but don't know how hard it is to replace the cables as well.

2) IF (big if), I ever want to add an amp and speakers later, is it better to go ahead and upgrade the terminal? Any considerations to take into account if I do this?

3) Good brands you could recommend would be sweet too.

Thanks in advance, and if there is a thread dedicated to this just point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Jake, if you are planning to add a big amp, you should also consider upgrading your alternator. The fused wiring needs to accommodate the maximum total current plus a least a 20% safety factor.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer the basic marine grade terminals.
Brand name makes little difference... as most are products of china

* lose the wing nuts for standard nuts... JMO

realize the neg. terminal is a smaller diameter then the pos. terminal
so be sure you don't buy two of the same ID.

Most every auto parts retailer sells them.

here's mine using a copper bar for extending the cable reach