1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Input or suggestions on these tires.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by wj32796, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Dec 31, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    wj32796

wj32796 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Titusville,Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    Stocker
    I have a 96 ext cab 4x4 4cyl. We are going to Virginia this week from Florida to visit some friends. They have told me there is snow and ice on the ground were they are. I need to buy tires any way before I go on this trip even if there wasnt any snow on the ground, and being from Florida where I don't even know what snow or ice driving is I will feel more comfortable with new tread anyway.
    I currently have newer Tacoma rims on my truck. They are the 8 spoke alloy type with 265/70/16 tires. I want to go with 265/75/16 to give me almost 32" of tire. I generally don't drive this long of a distance with my truck so I can have a little option on tires but I don't want to spend more than 150 on each tire as a budget.
    So with that said I have narrowed it down to 2 tires the Firestone Destination A/T and the Mickey Thompson Baja Radial STZ. These tires are available local to get before our trip this week and was wondering if anyone had any input or other suggestions. Keep in mind this is my daily driver and I don't do a lot of off roading but when I do its generally light mud or trails. The Micky's seem to have a more aggressive tread pattern but the Firestones look like they can do the job also.
    My future plans when I get back are to do a full suspension upgrade because the factory stuff is not cutting it and my leafs are starting to frown. I'm thinking about a 1.5" or 2" lift with adj. billies and leaf springs to make everything ride nice and I will be seeking advice on this set up also when the time comes.

2. Dec 31, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Firestone.

3. Dec 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    NCJeyota

NCJeyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Raleigh,NC
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Double cab
    I have had Firestone Destination A/T on my last Tacoma and they were pretty good tires. On my current 03 Double cab 4x4 I have Falkan Rocky Mountain tires in 265-75-16 and they worked great in the snow this past weekend up at Beech Mt. in NC. Also the price of them should be in your budget.

4. Jan 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    jaunty

jaunty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 V6 TRD Automatic 4x4
    Baja are very aggressive you won't like them. They look awesome but are mOre ideal for mud not so much snow. The bfg AT are an excellent tire proven in the snow and ice. Some have the "snowflake" designation so will suffice for a traction tire.

Products Discussed in

To Top