Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Truck shakes when braking

Old 01-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
toyotadan98 is on a distinguished road
toyotadan98's Tacoma Gallery
Truck shakes when braking

I just installed a 2 inch front and 1 inch rear lift with bilstein 5100,s on the rear, It sure looks better but anyway i was driving it today and noticed that when i would hit the brakes at 50 to 60 mph my truck would shake like my rotors warped or something but they are new and it didn't do this untill i put the lift on any ideas what would cause this???? i don't want to remove it after 100 plus dollars. Thanks
Old 01-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Hummingbird
Foihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Foihdzas's Tacoma Gallery
1) Is your alignment done correctly.
2) Get under your truck and check that everything is tight, and that your lug nuts are tight.
3) that's weird,
Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
10DC4x4 is on a distinguished road
10DC4x4's Tacoma Gallery
changes your brake rotors . They are wearing unevenly.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
janelle2388 is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Corey
janelle2388's Tacoma Gallery
might sound stupid but start cheap and easy, go back through what you did make sure everything is as tight as it is supposed to be and put in properly. thats what i would do.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Its broken buy a new one.
Seriously though.
Check your lugs!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
wut 2" lift at the front ?

I'd fairly suspect the additions recently added.

* an alignment would be top priority, post suspension changes.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
It has new rotors and pads on the front , i will double check everything and make sure everything is tight. It didn't do this untill i put the lift in this weekend. Thanks,
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotadan98 View Post
It has new rotors and pads on the front , i will double check everything and make sure everything is tight. It didn't do this untill i put the lift in this weekend. Thanks,
Did you overtorque the lug nuts? 83-85 ft-lb is all they need. Excessive lug nut torque can cause the rotors to warp on vehicles where only the caliber and the lugs keep them captive.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
torqued all lugs to 85 ft lbs. Truck drives great just shakes when the brakes are applied at high speed like 50 or 60 not at slower speed ????? Now when i say shakes it feels like a warped rotor but it didn,t do it on saturday before i put the lift in saturday afternoon and sunday morning before the seahawks game I will check everything again twice. Thanks. Go Hawks
Old 01-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
Gnarly By Nature
WuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

WuTang's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe you need a bpv bracket? It could be a tie rod, or you may have some play in the rack
Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #11
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
New rotors can still warp if you heat and cool it really fast like drive and brake all day and then didn't think about it and wash your truck and cool the rotors. Most time when I brake and the steering wheel vibrates and shakes its a warped rotor.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
Thanks for the opinons. I will figure it out it only started when i put the lift in the other day.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
kgw is on a distinguished road

Name: kgw
kgw's Tacoma Gallery
Take it to the alignment shop, ASAP. You likely changed camber, or something else.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Camber would not cause vibration when braking. Incorrect toe MIGHT, and Caster can. Alignment would be something to have checked anyway after installing a lift or making changes in the suspension system.