Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Throttle sticks in 95 2.7 - any suggestions

Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
SteveFaust is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
SteveFaust's Tacoma Gallery
Throttle sticks in 95 2.7 - any suggestions

Just acquired a '95 4x4 with the 2.7 and auto trans. All seems to run well althought I've noticed an annoying issue in that when you fist push on the gas pedal it seems to stick until you push harder and then it let's go and accelerates. Doesn't do this when you're driving but say stop at a light, and go to push the pedal and there it is feeling like it is a bit stuck or hanging up. I played with it a bit and seems to be associated with the throttle body wheel linkage ... maybe a sticking / slight vacuum lock at the butterfly valve?

This was my Mom's truck and she says it's always been that way, but I'm hoping to smooth it out so a better feel (safer) should for my kids be driving it.

Any experience with this issue? thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
wj32796 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
wj32796's Tacoma Gallery
Mine did the same thing when I bought it. You need to clean out the throttle body area where the butterfly is. The problem is that area is all built up with carbon. I just used a can of sensor safe throttle body cleaner. I have heard of guys using sea foam but I have no experience with it. After you clean it and run it for a little bit it would be wise to replace the spark plugs.
You can actually (with the truck not running of course) open the butterfly with your finger and run your finger past it and they will be black with carbon.

Its been two years an I have had no problems with it.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Well for starters there is no carb, you're probably thinking of the throttle body.

Does the 2.7 have a throttle cable? Did you check that to make sure it's free of any obstructions?

Also the above post is sound advice.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
2.7l does use a cable, if you have cruise control check that too. I had throttle stick caused from a jammed CC actuator arm.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
With a flashlight, stick your head under the dash (and above the go-pedal), and verify that nothing is interfering with the pedal movement.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #6

Thanks for the input -- very helpful. Doesn't appear to be anything hanging up the pedal/cable. If I create a little slack in cables at throttle body and twist the throttle body wheel with my hand it feels like it is sticking there so thinking the carbon build up there might be culprit. Will have to tear into it and do some cleaning this weekend.

Madjik_Man -- your rig looks just like mine but with a topper. Gonna have to find one like that at some point.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #7

Pulled Throttle Body and did a complete cleaning, man was it dirty... now it's clean and no more sticking! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Throttle sticks in 95 2.7 - any suggestions-img_0185.jpg   Throttle sticks in 95 2.7 - any suggestions-img_0186.jpg   Throttle sticks in 95 2.7 - any suggestions-img_0191.jpg   Throttle sticks in 95 2.7 - any suggestions-img_0188.jpg