Phearson is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
Phearson's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Cat delete pipe "testpipe" Walk around rev

Here it is. Theres lost of talk about this so i made a quick vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3rV...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure you're going to get some haters giving their opinion. Once my cat goes bye bye I may gut it and used an O2 sim.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
So i'm assuming the CEL stays on all the time on your truck now?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Not bad
Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
your what hurts!?!?!?
Boosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud of
Name: Zeb
Boosted TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't sound as raspy as I thought it would...Hows it perform on the a$$ dyno?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Taco or Die

My o2 sensor are already bad and no the cel light isnt on. The tone is pretty deep just the video dosnt pick it up. Its a little raspy now that the packing has burnt out. But past 3k when the cams open it scremes
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Bubbaknowz is a jewel in the roughBubbaknowz is a jewel in the roughBubbaknowz is a jewel in the rough

Name: Travis
Bubbaknowz's Tacoma Gallery
I have been wanting to do this since we did it on my dads chevy but how do you do it i was told on TW it would put your motor in safe mode?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
AggiePilot12 has a spectacular aura aboutAggiePilot12 has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
AggiePilot12's Tacoma Gallery
I deleted my cat as well. (went bad, easier to replace pipe than to order/install new cats). Used the URD o2 sim to make the CEL go away (worked right away, 2min install).

But to answer your question: No, the engine doesn't go into safe mode. Nor does it affect the "back pressure" issue everyone seems to think, if anything the truck is less restrictive during acceleration. Phearson, do you agree?

Also, what kind of glasspack is that? I have the exact same setup just with the stock muffler. Looking for something with decent rumble under acceleration load, but no hwy drone and curious if a muffler or glasspack is the way to go.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
Taco or Die

yeah. Back pressure isn't a problem. Test pipes are common on lots of cars. And I think its a magnaflow glass. Not sure though. Just picked it up one day
Old 01-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Dr. Frankenstien, in surgery
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
I have to point out one thing before everyone thinks this won't throw a code like this guys truck.

It's a 96 which has a different ecu then 97-04. I am sure that's why no code is being thrown and it's operating a bit different. So for those of you 97-04. Plan on getting the o2 simulator to get rid of the code.

Also yes back pressure is very important on NA vehicles. I'm willing to be money you have a big loss of low end torque. Yes you did probably gain a bit in the hi rpms(higher then 3k). But we drive trucks..low end power is way more important I would think so not sure this is a great mod for those looking for performance. Unless you are planning on getting a sc..which OP of you are make sure to get a 97ecu to swap in.

There is my opinion with some facts sprinkled in.

Cheers
Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
if any exhaust system has back pressure, it's not running very efficient. Modern exhaust systemsare designed to run with no back pressure, but rather used exhaust scavenging to increase efficiency and performance. modern catalytic converters have a little impact on the way exhaust systems flow.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
if any exhaust system has back pressure, it's not running very efficient. Modern exhaust systemsare designed to run with no back pressure, but rather used exhaust scavenging to increase efficiency and performance. modern catalytic converters have a little impact on the way exhaust systems flow.
Very true. Not sure that was the case in the mid 90s though..
Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Very true. Not sure that was the case in the mid 90s though..
soon after auto manufacturers learn how to tune intake systems, they realized the advantages of tuning exhaust systems. this began in the early eighties
Old 01-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #14

fair enough.

Didn't you yourself though do a dyno test where opening the exhaust up on our motors though merited a loss in power? because toyota had already tuned for the best efficiency on our motors?

Opening exhaust up too much without FAI is a bad thing..the only time its good to have a super open exhaust is if your running a turbo for the quickest spool possible..
Old 01-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
fair enough.

Didn't you yourself though do a dyno test where opening the exhaust up on our motors though merited a loss in power? because toyota had already tuned for the best efficiency on our motors?

Opening exhaust up too much without FAI is a bad thing..the only time its good to have a super open exhaust is if your running a turbo for the quickest spool possible..
Old 01-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #16

Quote:
fair enough.

I have done a lot of dyno testing with different exhaust configurations.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #17
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I have done a lot of dyno testing with different exhaust configurations.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
Taco or Die

I have friends who think its cool to unbolt and run it right out the cat on there 3rd gen 22res. Ive hit the rev limit in my truck countless times and run mine hard. Mine has 300k miles on her and she still gets up and goes. There Toyotas. Theres hardly and loss in power. Kust keep that rpm range up like there ment to be run
Old 01-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakes09 View Post
Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phearson View Post
I have friends who think its cool to unbolt and run it right out the cat on there 3rd gen 22res. Ive hit the rev limit in my truck countless times and run mine hard. Mine has 300k miles on her and she still gets up and goes. There Toyotas. Theres hardly and loss in power. Kust keep that rpm range up like there ment to be run
22R's are a different animal. They are a pretty in efficient engine, so most any exhaust mod can wake them up a little bit. The 22R, 3RZ, and 2RZ bennafit most from a "tri-Y" header, and a 2.25" exhaust. The 3.4's in the first gen Tacomas seem to like a long tube header, and 2.5" piping, while the 4.0 like the "Shorty" headers, and 2.5" pipe. Most any "Flow thru" muffler will yield similar gains, as I have only seen a variance of a couple hp one way or another amongst the brands. Flowmasters, and other small, baffled mufflers give a nice loss of HP/Tq thru the whole rev range.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #20
AggiePilot12 has a spectacular aura aboutAggiePilot12 has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
AggiePilot12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Also yes back pressure is very important on NA vehicles. I'm willing to be money you have a big loss of low end torque. Yes you did probably gain a bit in the hi rpms(higher then 3k). But we drive trucks..low end power is way more important I would think so not sure this is a great mod for those looking for performance. Unless you are planning on getting a sc..which OP of you are make sure to get a 97ecu to swap in.

There is my opinion with some facts sprinkled in.

Cheers
Modern day exhausts (specifically cats) are efficient enough to not have that much back pressure.. As already mentioned. Thus, cutting a cat really ISN'T a performance mod. When accelerating however, you are naturally going to have less resistance with no cats. Regardless of low or high rpm's. Not a loss of torque.

We can be at this all day. It's a Toyota.. Specifically a 3.4L. They're bullet proof. They're going to operate great regardless of the condition.