Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

AAL and blowing 5100's

Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
FishinTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: D'Arcy
FishinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
AAL and blowing 5100's

Anyone on here have problems with an add-a-leaf and bilstein 5100's? I've just blown my second, opposite side. I sent the dimensions, bolt to bolt at rest position, and the billy's were suppose to be fine.

I guess the question is should I be running a modified bump stop with this set up? If so what size did you go with.

Cheers, and thanks for the help.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #2

bump
Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
How are they getting blown?

Just a quickie suggestion -
Measure the distance between the bump stop and the frame. Then measure the amount of exposed shaft on the bilsteins.

How do they compare? In other words..... is there LESS shaft than there is at the bumpstops?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Are the billies the right length?

If they are too short for your lift, then they will 'top out' at full droop and possibly destroy themselves.
If they are too long for your lift, then they will 'bottom out' at full stuff and possibly destroy themselves.

Disconnect one shock and see how far it can go up and down. That is the limit of travel. Shock length is critical, if you actually off-road with it. Then you can set travel limits to be just under that.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm scary... i just installed 5100s set at 2.25" and a progressive 1.5" aal this week to help my poor leafs and to level out the front.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinTaco View Post
Anyone on here have problems with an add-a-leaf and bilstein 5100's? I've just blown my second, opposite side. I sent the dimensions, bolt to bolt at rest position, and the billy's were suppose to be fine.

I guess the question is should I be running a modified bump stop with this set up? If so what size did you go with.

Cheers, and thanks for the help.
We need a lot more information. What aal, what part # on the bilsteins? Any other aftermarket suspension components?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #8

Thanks guys,

- 1.5" Skyjacker soft ride AAL.
- The leaf pack was brand new from toyota, I had all the suspension put on while they re-framed it last year.
- OME 880's and adjustable billiies up front.
- Bilstein 5100's in the Rear
- DriversR = BE5-D559-T0
- PassengerR = BE5-D560-T0

This is how she sits, I'll get some measurements by tomorrow.

AAL and blowing 5100's-p8110027.jpg
cheers and thanks, DC
Old 01-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #9

I'm wondering the same Bassman,

I should add currently I've got a Topper on it and have my snow tires on, micheline x-ice 265/70R17's on it, but run 265/75R16's Ko's in the summer.

I've just got to make the decision on adding bump stops and continue buying 5100's or just change rear shocks all together. I do wheel it, and hawl a small snowmobile trailer.

Cheers,
Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
so u r talking about the rear billys or front? i put billy 5100s up front and rough country 9000s in rear with wheelers progressive aal earlier this week. so far so good... pulling a loaded trailer tomorrow and bed will have some shit in it too, i'm hoping i have no issues! got about 100 miles to take it (im moving) and theres hills for a good half of the way.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I should add currently I've got a Topper on it and have my snow tires on, micheline x-ice 265/70R17's on it, but run 265/75R16's Ko's in the summer.

I've just got to make the decision on adding bump stops and continue buying 5100's or just change rear shocks all together. I do wheel it, and hawl a small snowmobile trailer.

Cheers,
Adding bump stops? So you were driving around with no bump stops at all or just your stock ones?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #12

It's been both rears I've blown now, one was in the middle of the summer going over a speed bump in a mall....lol. I know they say they leak a bit, but this one is done, it's "banging" over ever crack in the road right now.

This one I'm pretty sure I blew last weekend, was wheeling in on a packed down snowmobile trail into a little brookie lake. I was too lazy to get my sled and my buddy wanted to try out his new to him 2005 taco, so we took the two trucks in. I was climbing a snow covered hill when the ditch really wanted me in it (fell into some sled tracks that I couldn't get out of). Anyway I slid into the ditch (very slowly) my bud pulled me out. But while I was getting pulled out my rear end drivers side wheel was like a foot of the ground, and my passenger side rear tire was sucked up into the box pretty good. But these are off road shocks...

OH, I've got stock bump stops.

Cheers,
Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #13

Here are the measurements,

Drivers Side Rear
- Center of shock bolt to center of shock bolt = 18.5"
- Rubber bump to frame bump = 5 1/4"

Passenger Side Rear
- Center of shock bolt to center of shock bolt = 19 7/8"
- Rubber bump to frame bump = 5 1/2"

Cheers! DC
Old 01-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
Soon to be west coast
11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC1(SW/SS) Non Lethal Weapons Instructor Former STS SUBMARINES
Name: Jay
11TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Cheers,

They are warranteed limited lifetime. I got mine replaced for free.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/...Eval_Sheet.pdf
WARRANTY DETAILS FOR TC (B4) / C / HD (B6) / Sport (B8) / BTS (B12) / PSS (B14) / PSS9 & PSS10 (B16) / 5100 (Application Specific) GAS PRESSURE SHOCKS
LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
Bilstein warrants to the original retail purchaser that, for the life of each Gas Pressure Shock, this product shall be free from defects in material and workmanship. Proof of purchase is required process warranty. Please return product to the original place of purchase.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
5100's are almost the exact same length as stock, so when you ad a lift, they are not the right shock. I don't know why some of these companies are selling them and saying they are good for a couple inches of lift, because they aren't.

You should remove the bottom nut on both shocks, then lift the axle into the wheel well, and measure from mount to mount, mine is just under 16''. when that side is full stuffed (bumpstop touching) measure the mount to mount on the other side to get your fully extended length.

I am ordering 10'' stroke 5125's for my 2012 dclb with a 2'' block.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #17

Yeah I'll send these in to get replaced hopefully. I've got the other one I've blown sitting beside me here. Wasn't going to send it in because to pay for shipping for the new one I bought and send this one in to possibly get rejected is close to 75 bucks, Close to the price of the new shock. Might be worth while now that I'll send both back.
I'll give downsouth a call and see if they can help me out before going to what you suggest Rab89. That sounds like my next plan.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
leaking in 5100s second nature i thought?
Blasphamy !!!... reported...

Quote:
Yeah I'll send these in to get replaced hopefully. I've got the other one I've blown sitting beside me here. Wasn't going to send it in because to pay for shipping for the new one I bought and send this one in to possibly get rejected is close to 75 bucks, Close to the price of the new shock. Might be worth while now that I'll send both back.
I'll give downsouth a call and see if they can help me out before going to what you suggest Rab89. That sounds like my next plan.

I've blown 1 5100 (probably my fault tho' ) but you should def. call Sonny at DSMS, check into getting the 5125's they come in many lengths for custom apps....
Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here are the measurements,

Drivers Side Rear
- Center of shock bolt to center of shock bolt = 18.5"
- Rubber bump to frame bump = 5 1/4"

Passenger Side Rear
- Center of shock bolt to center of shock bolt = 19 7/8"
- Rubber bump to frame bump = 5 1/2"

Cheers! DC
This is incomplete information.

What is the distance from bolt to bolt when the wheels are fully stuffed into the wheel well? Ideally, when the bumpstop touches the frame.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the very same 5125's on my junk since '05
neither have leaked.
I have a 2.5" lift....
and use 8" and 8 1/2" travel shocks
The 1/2" difference is due to the staggered upper mounts.

I'm gonna guess your shock travel lengths are incorrect
and that the shocks are bottoming or extending too far.

* I thought the stock shocks (oem) are 6" and 6 1/2" travel