Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How do you get power to accessory lights, cameras, horns ETC

Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
03tacoman's Tacoma Gallery
How do you get power to accessory lights, cameras, horns ETC

I know that for some LED light strips and what not that you can just run the little power wire to your fuse box and either wrap the end around the fuse and stick it in or just use a fuse tap but that's about all i know. And I want to just have a general idea on how everyone is getting power to different things.
I have plans for a few things that I need to know how to get power to
a.) After doing this mod
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ation-mod.html
I want to run new wires for 4157 LED light bulbs to go into the old blinker housing

b.) I want to wire a back up camera for shits n giggles since they're under 50 bucks on eBay but not sure where to run the power wire to for the monitor and camera...

c.) any kind of fog lights that I can mount to my front bumper. Do some fog lights require more power or thicker wire than others ?

Any links or anything you can think of that can help me would be awesome and before you type your response if you are responding to one of my three questions please put a,b or c before it to help stay organized
Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Also a CB radio
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
For the CB, I just tapped into the Aux Power circuit. Already fused.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
So some serious research. You need fuses, relays, wiring, and to know how use them.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
Deadcrowm is on a distinguished road

EMS:
Name: Mike
Deadcrowm's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
So some serious research. You need fuses, relays, wiring, and to know how use them.
that's why I'm asking all the guys on here before I go screw with the wiring on my life savings
Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
CB radios can be very picky. for best results to eliminate static, wire DIRECTLY to the main battery!
I've been hearing this for 30 years (yeah, I'm that old), but I'm not convinced that this really makes a difference. I have never done this, but was always willing to switch to that if I detected static or wasn't getting out very well. When requesting a 'radio check', my wheeling buddies have always said I come in loud and clear. Never had a problem.

Are there any electrical engineers out there who can chime in on this?

Our factory radios are not directly wired to the battery. Old ignitions systems used to interfere with all radios. Not any more. No matter how a CB is wired, the power wire still has to travel thru the dash area, and not too far from the ignition.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
Daily Driver "Plus"
smuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud of

Navy: 24 years Active Duty
Name: Frank
smuook's Tacoma Gallery
Not knowing what you are doing with electricity/electronics is a great way to screw something up, catch something on fire, or hurt yourself. My recommendation is to have someone with you who knows what you are doing. But everyone needs to start somewhere, so I'd start here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...reference.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tacoman View Post
a.) After doing this mod
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ation-mod.html
I want to run new wires for 4157 LED light bulbs to go into the old blinker housing
In almost all cases, LEDs draw much less current than incandescent and there is no need to run new wires. Use the existing. You may have problems with the circuit operation because Toyota often uses the bulb resistance for the operation of the circuit (and LED's have much higher resistance, thus lower current draw). So they often need parallel resistors to make the light work right. I don't know if this is the case for this, but I suspect so. You can search forum for LED resistor to find out more.

Quote:
b.) I want to wire a back up camera for shits n giggles since they're under 50 bucks on eBay but not sure where to run the power wire to for the monitor and camera...
Do-it-yourself backup cameras generally tap into backup light. See my thread here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...a-install.html

Quote:
c.) any kind of fog lights that I can mount to my front bumper. Do some fog lights require more power or thicker wire than others ?
Here is a slick way to wire up fog lights. I removed my power outlet relay permanently. All this does is allows the power outlets to be on with accessory power. I installed the blue jumper to allow the power outlets to be on all the time, so I can charge my phone with car off. Then I installed an accessory tap (red with white wire) to go to relay and fog light switch. These are all kept neatly inside fuse box. To additional fuses are attached on the left for fog light battery power and fog light accessory power.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Daily Driver "Plus"
smuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud of

smuook's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, I forgot to mention, my foglights are powered from the battery, through a fuse, to the power side of the foglight control relay, to the foglights themselves. The accessory tap goes through a fuse, to the control control circuit of the foglight control relay, to the switch on my dash.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Senior Member. HA. I'm not a senior. I'm young...
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
I just follow the instructions that come with the thing I'm installing...
Old 01-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Daily Driver "Plus"

smuook's Tacoma Gallery
Foglights don't come with instructions on how to power them on a Tacoma.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuook View Post
Foglights don't come with instructions on how to power them on a Tacoma.
Mine did...
Old 01-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
Daily Driver "Plus"

smuook's Tacoma Gallery
No, they didn't.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
Daily Driver "Plus"

smuook's Tacoma Gallery
@OP You're foglights will come with the proper wiring size. You can always go lower AWG number (thicker wire). This gets more complex for running multiple lights in parallel and you should seek experienced help in that case.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #15

Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, they didn't.
http://www.piaa.com/Shared/instructions/520.pdf
Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #16
Daily Driver "Plus"

smuook's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at Page 4 of the PIAA instructions, it shows that you connect the led switch to "switch power"... it doesn't specifically say where to get that from on a Tacoma. That's what I'm talking about. The OP is asking how to get power to things and I'm trying to give him a suggestion for an accessory tap.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
Quote:
Not knowing what you are doing with electricity/electronics is a great way to screw something up, catch something on fire, or hurt yourself. My recommendation is to have someone with you who knows what you are doing. But everyone needs to start somewhere, so I'd start here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...reference.html

In almost all cases, LEDs draw much less current than incandescent and there is no need to run new wires. Use the existing. You may have problems with the circuit operation because Toyota often uses the bulb resistance for the operation of the circuit (and LED's have much higher resistance, thus lower current draw). So they often need parallel resistors to make the light work right. I don't know if this is the case for this, but I suspect so. You can search forum for LED resistor to find out more.

Do-it-yourself backup cameras generally tap into backup light. See my thread here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...a-install.html

Here is a slick way to wire up fog lights. I removed my power outlet relay permanently. All this does is allows the power outlets to be on with accessory power. I installed the blue jumper to allow the power outlets to be on all the time, so I can charge my phone with car off. Then I installed an accessory tap (red with white wire) to go to relay and fog light switch. These are all kept neatly inside fuse box. To additional fuses are attached on the left for fog light battery power and fog light accessory power.

Confusing stuff I am definitely going to get my buddy to help me out whenever I get my lights etc..thanks a lot I will try and look at my truck to compare it to your wiring to check it out thanks!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #18
Devout is on a distinguished road

Devout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
I've been hearing this for 30 years (yeah, I'm that old), but I'm not convinced that this really makes a difference.

Our factory radios are not directly wired to the battery. Old ignitions systems used to interfere with all radios. Not any more. No matter how a CB is wired, the power wire still has to travel thru the dash area, and not too far from the ignition.

Our factory radio is most often on FM, not AM like a CB. Coupled with the short wave, you can get static. Try wiring it to your heater fan circuit and you'll begin to understand why most people go direct to the battery.

If you're not getting any static in receive mode, don't worry about where your hooked.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #19

tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout View Post
Our factory radio is most often on FM, not AM like a CB. Coupled with the short wave, you can get static. Try wiring it to your heater fan circuit and you'll begin to understand why most people go direct to the battery.

If you're not getting any static in receive mode, don't worry about where your hooked.
Good point, Devout.

I guess it depends on which circuit you tap into. I use the Aux Power circuit, which for me, runs only the CB. That circuit is from the battery, but only live when the ACC is on (via the Aux relay). Only disadvantage, is I need the key in the ignition to use the CB. But no static.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #20
THE CALICO is on a distinguished road

Marines: Sergeant
Name: Colton
THE CALICO's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd