1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you get power to accessory lights, cameras, horns ETC

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 03tacoman, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Jan 9, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    03tacoman

03tacoman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2003 Sr5 v6 Ext Cab
    I know that for some LED light strips and what not that you can just run the little power wire to your fuse box and either wrap the end around the fuse and stick it in or just use a fuse tap but that's about all i know. And I want to just have a general idea on how everyone is getting power to different things.
    I have plans for a few things that I need to know how to get power to
    a.) After doing this mod
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/186115-free-blinker-light-relocation-mod.html
    I want to run new wires for 4157 LED light bulbs to go into the old blinker housing

b.) I want to wire a back up camera for shits n giggles since they're under 50 bucks on eBay but not sure where to run the power wire to for the monitor and camera...

c.) any kind of fog lights that I can mount to my front bumper. Do some fog lights require more power or thicker wire than others ?

Any links or anything you can think of that can help me would be awesome and before you type your response if you are responding to one of my three questions please put a,b or c before it to help stay organized :D

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jan 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    03tacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2003 Sr5 v6 Ext Cab
    Also a CB radio

3. Jan 9, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    For the CB, I just tapped into the Aux Power circuit. Already fused.

4. Jan 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    So some serious research. You need fuses, relays, wiring, and to know how use them.

5. Jan 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM
    Deadcrowm

Deadcrowm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ventura County
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 TRD
    Camper shell, bed kit, tires
  6. Jan 10, 2013 at 4:50 AM
    03tacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2003 Sr5 v6 Ext Cab
    that's why I'm asking all the guys on here before I go screw with the wiring on my life savings :eek:

7. Jan 10, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I've been hearing this for 30 years (yeah, I'm that old), but I'm not convinced that this really makes a difference. I have never done this, but was always willing to switch to that if I detected static or wasn't getting out very well. When requesting a 'radio check', my wheeling buddies have always said I come in loud and clear. Never had a problem.

Are there any electrical engineers out there who can chime in on this?

Our factory radios are not directly wired to the battery. Old ignitions systems used to interfere with all radios. Not any more. No matter how a CB is wired, the power wire still has to travel thru the dash area, and not too far from the ignition.

8. Jan 10, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    smuook

smuook Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    Not knowing what you are doing with electricity/electronics is a great way to screw something up, catch something on fire, or hurt yourself. My recommendation is to have someone with you who knows what you are doing. But everyone needs to start somewhere, so I'd start here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/103969-electronics-basics-reference.html

In almost all cases, LEDs draw much less current than incandescent and there is no need to run new wires. Use the existing. You may have problems with the circuit operation because Toyota often uses the bulb resistance for the operation of the circuit (and LED's have much higher resistance, thus lower current draw). So they often need parallel resistors to make the light work right. I don't know if this is the case for this, but I suspect so. You can search forum for LED resistor to find out more.

Do-it-yourself backup cameras generally tap into backup light. See my thread here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/255014-backup-camera-install.html

Here is a slick way to wire up fog lights. I removed my power outlet relay permanently. All this does is allows the power outlets to be on with accessory power. I installed the blue jumper to allow the power outlets to be on all the time, so I can charge my phone with car off. Then I installed an accessory tap (red with white wire) to go to relay and fog light switch. These are all kept neatly inside fuse box. To additional fuses are attached on the left for fog light battery power and fog light accessory power.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Jan 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    Oh, I forgot to mention, my foglights are powered from the battery, through a fuse, to the power side of the foglight control relay, to the foglights themselves. The accessory tap goes through a fuse, to the control control circuit of the foglight control relay, to the switch on my dash.

10. Jan 10, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    Nunavut

Nunavut Eh oh, Canada go.

Member:
    Canada
    I just follow the instructions that come with the thing I'm installing...

11. Jan 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Foglights don't come with instructions on how to power them on a Tacoma.

12. Jan 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    Nunavut

Member:
    Canada
    Mine did...

13. Jan 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    No, they didn't.

14. Jan 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    @OP You're foglights will come with the proper wiring size. You can always go lower AWG number (thicker wire). This gets more complex for running multiple lights in parallel and you should seek experienced help in that case.

15. Jan 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    Nunavut

Member:
    Canada
  16. Jan 11, 2013 at 2:05 AM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Looking at Page 4 of the PIAA instructions, it shows that you connect the led switch to "switch power"... it doesn't specifically say where to get that from on a Tacoma. That's what I'm talking about. The OP is asking how to get power to things and I'm trying to give him a suggestion for an accessory tap.

17. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    03tacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2003 Sr5 v6 Ext Cab
    Confusing stuff I am definitely going to get my buddy to help me out whenever I get my lights etc..thanks a lot I will try and look at my truck to compare it to your wiring to check it out thanks!

18. Jan 12, 2013 at 4:34 AM
    Devout

Devout Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD 4X4
    None yet

Our factory radio is most often on FM, not AM like a CB. Coupled with the short wave, you can get static. Try wiring it to your heater fan circuit and you'll begin to understand why most people go direct to the battery.

If you're not getting any static in receive mode, don't worry about where your hooked.

19. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:10 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    Good point, Devout.

I guess it depends on which circuit you tap into. I use the Aux Power circuit, which for me, runs only the CB. That circuit is from the battery, but only live when the ACC is on (via the Aux relay). Only disadvantage, is I need the key in the ignition to use the CB. But no static.

20. Apr 2, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    THE CALICO

THE CALICO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    Black 2014 TRD SPORT ACCESS CAB

Products Discussed in

To Top