Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Washing road salt of your Taco

Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Washing road salt off your Taco

I just got back from a road trip to Canada and New England a few days ago and my truck is COVERED in salt. I want to get it off thoroughly ASAP. Washing the body seems like a no brainier but any tips for the undercarriage and frame? Should i spray the hose through the little holes in the frame to get everything out from inside the frame? will straight hose pressure water be enough or should i apply soap to the under carriage somehow?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
I think ive just read that people take the hose to it, probably with one of the gardening attachments.

It you're really concerned, maybe try one of the self car washed that you pop coins in to soap down and wash. I think you would be pretty good.

Also make sure you drive your truck a little bit after washing it to keep things like your brakes from locking up. I believe I have read that happens if you wash the truck and let it sit.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Damn... i wrote of instead of OFF and it won't let me edit it. Now i'm going to get half the responses I normally would have got...
Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
Damn... i wrote of instead of OFF and it won't let me edit it. Now i'm going to get half the responses I normally would have got...
pm a mod , they can fix it for you
Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
PM a mod and ask it to be changed. I think most people will get the idea.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
FishinTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: D'Arcy
FishinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I was wondering the same, mostly for the dirt though. I just stuck my finger in the holes of my frame and it's already got a least an inch thick of dirt in there. (frame is not 2 years old yet).

I always wondered if this design of our box frame was partially to blame for the frame rotting issues. Seems like a poor design with no way to clean out.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
HERP DERP
Buy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud of

Name: Matt
Buy1Get1Freee's Tacoma Gallery
At the end of mostly every week, I like to just hose the salt of my truck, 60 miles a day covers the truck by the end of the week in salt. Hose a little underneath as well. Here on PEI the amount of salt we get is ridiculous.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
idk if they have them where you are. but i know some of the no touch drive thru car washes have undercarriage washes. You have to pay extra for it, but it has nozzles in the floor that shoot up and wash the undercarriage.

may see if you can find one around you.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Beers is on a distinguished road
Beers's Tacoma Gallery
We have mag-chloride and ice slicer to deal with instead of salt. None of those is good for the truck or paint. I always take my truck to a self-wash bay and rinse it off with the pressure washer. Use the high pressure soap first to clean as much of it as you can and then rinse it off with clean water.