1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blue Devil Head Gasket Fix

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by va99tacoma, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Jan 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    va99tacoma

va99tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Vb, VA
    Vehicle:
    99 Toyota Tacoma 4-cyl 4wd
    Hello TW,
    I recently purchased Blue Devil Head gasket fix.
    The directions imply to pour the solution directly into your radiator and mix with antifreeze.
    Now two questions:
    1. Is it wise to have that stay in the radiator? or should i flush it and run the blue devil by itself.
    2. If not, how do i drain a small amount of antifreeze to make room for Blue Devil. Without having to flush the whole system.

Thanks for your help. I have just purchased my 99 Tacoma and i have many questions for the wise men of Tacoma World

2. Jan 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    There are two kinds of Blue Devil product, one that you simply mix with the antifreeze and one you have to flush the system out completely and fill with water and Blue devil. It might work for you depending how big or small the leak is and how it's leaking. I've used it before (mix with antifreeze method) in a 4cyl and it stopped the leak but don't know for how long as I got rid of the car shortly after. Didn't seem to hurt the functionality of the cooling system as I don't think the Blue Devil does not have any particles in their product to clog things up. You might want to try it first before fixing the real problem. Shouldn't be that hard as you have a 4cyl and those are much easier to work on. As for getting some of the antifreeze out, simply open the radiator drain plug on the bottom of the radiator and let some out.

3. Jan 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Usually those additive are only tempory fix but some people get lucky we're it actually fixes the problem but like the post above says depends how big the leak is

4. Jan 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    va99tacoma

va99tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Vb, VA
    Vehicle:
    99 Toyota Tacoma 4-cyl 4wd
    Cool thanks guys. Just used the blue devil. Truck is idling as we speak. Instructions say to top off antifreeze. Yet i do not know when to add it. Or when it is safe to drive. Any help on this?

5. Jan 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    I wouldn't put my trust in that.
    Probably gum up a bunch of stuff that shouldn't be.

I'd replace the head gasket instead.

6. Jan 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Frankly I think it's a waste of time and money but if you need to try it only do it once or you'll end up with a plugged up heater core.

7. Jan 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    If the radiator is hot, don't open it. Wait until it cools down. I believe it said let it idle for 30 minutes to an hour? I guess if it works you can drive it then.

Products Discussed in

To Top