Notices

Blue Devil Head Gasket Fix

Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
va99tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Dylan
va99tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Blue Devil Head Gasket Fix

Hello TW,
I recently purchased Blue Devil Head gasket fix.
The directions imply to pour the solution directly into your radiator and mix with antifreeze.
Now two questions:
1. Is it wise to have that stay in the radiator? or should i flush it and run the blue devil by itself.
2. If not, how do i drain a small amount of antifreeze to make room for Blue Devil. Without having to flush the whole system.

Thanks for your help. I have just purchased my 99 Tacoma and i have many questions for the wise men of Tacoma World
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
There are two kinds of Blue Devil product, one that you simply mix with the antifreeze and one you have to flush the system out completely and fill with water and Blue devil. It might work for you depending how big or small the leak is and how it's leaking. I've used it before (mix with antifreeze method) in a 4cyl and it stopped the leak but don't know for how long as I got rid of the car shortly after. Didn't seem to hurt the functionality of the cooling system as I don't think the Blue Devil does not have any particles in their product to clog things up. You might want to try it first before fixing the real problem. Shouldn't be that hard as you have a 4cyl and those are much easier to work on. As for getting some of the antifreeze out, simply open the radiator drain plug on the bottom of the radiator and let some out.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Usually those additive are only tempory fix but some people get lucky we're it actually fixes the problem but like the post above says depends how big the leak is
Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
va99tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Dylan
va99tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thanks guys. Just used the blue devil. Truck is idling as we speak. Instructions say to top off antifreeze. Yet i do not know when to add it. Or when it is safe to drive. Any help on this?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't put my trust in that.
Probably gum up a bunch of stuff that shouldn't be.

I'd replace the head gasket instead.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Frankly I think it's a waste of time and money but if you need to try it only do it once or you'll end up with a plugged up heater core.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by va99tacoma View Post
Cool thanks guys. Just used the blue devil. Truck is idling as we speak. Instructions say to top off antifreeze. Yet i do not know when to add it. Or when it is safe to drive. Any help on this?
If the radiator is hot, don't open it. Wait until it cools down. I believe it said let it idle for 30 minutes to an hour? I guess if it works you can drive it then.