Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Power Steering Gremlins

Old 01-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Power Steering Gremlins

I've had the worst of luck in the almost 2 years I've owned this truck. The Power Steering has been a complete nightmare/headache. I've rebuilt the stock pump, then purchased two pumps after that. I've installed a cooler thinking the fluid was overheating thus making the seals leak. I've just recently purchased a new union bolt and washers because it seemed to be leaking from the high pressure side of the pump. I noticed it still seems to seep and fluid is all over the underside of the hood and has started to leak through the passenger fender well. This is not a b!tch post and I WANT to make this work; however my patience is running low at this point. I really don't want to drop $$$ on an aftermarket setup but it may be cheaper than continuing to buy pumps every 4-6 months. I've used Mobil 1 as well as Valvoline Synthetic transmission fluid in the system. I know diagnosing issues over the net is near impossible but just looking for something I've either overlooked or have failed to see on the net. Thanks TW.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Dcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dcpsychobilly's Tacoma Gallery
bump to find an answer
Old 01-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaEcho2k5 View Post
I've had the worst of luck in the almost 2 years I've owned this truck. The Power Steering has been a complete nightmare/headache. I've rebuilt the stock pump, then purchased two pumps after that. I've installed a cooler thinking the fluid was overheating thus making the seals leak. I've just recently purchased a new union bolt and washers because it seemed to be leaking from the high pressure side of the pump. I noticed it still seems to seep and fluid is all over the underside of the hood and has started to leak through the passenger fender well. This is not a b!tch post and I WANT to make this work; however my patience is running low at this point. I really don't want to drop $$$ on an aftermarket setup but it may be cheaper than continuing to buy pumps every 4-6 months. I've used Mobil 1 as well as Valvoline Synthetic transmission fluid in the system. I know diagnosing issues over the net is near impossible but just looking for something I've either overlooked or have failed to see on the net. Thanks TW.
Are the Valvoline and M1 fluids compatible with the Tacoma power steering system? The Tacoma calls for ATF (Dex II/II), not PS fluid.

I also had problems on my '04 spewing fluid once I put on bigger tires and front armor. The fluid would overheat. Eventually the seals on the rack started to go, along with some of the rubber lines on the low pressure side.

Can you get the truck good and warm and have someone run the wheel back and forth while you look under the hood and try to find the source of the spew? Some leak tracer dye might help with that, too, if you can see a fine mist coming from somewhere while the system is pressurized.

Other than that, I'm at a loss, save that you don't indicate that you have changed out the rack.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurotron View Post
Are the Valvoline and M1 fluids compatible with the Tacoma power steering system? The Tacoma calls for ATF (Dex II/II), not PS fluid.
I also had problems on my '04 spewing fluid once I put on bigger tires and front armor. The fluid would overheat. Eventually the seals on the rack started to go, along with some of the rubber lines on the low pressure side.

Can you get the truck good and warm and have someone run the wheel back and forth while you look under the hood and try to find the source of the spew? Some leak tracer dye might help with that, too, if you can see a fine mist coming from somewhere while the system is pressurized.

Other than that, I'm at a loss, save that you don't indicate that you have changed out the rack.
Both fluids I've tried are both compatible. It's funny, doesn't seem like it wants to leak until I close the hood and drive on the road for a bit. It appears to be leaking on the underside of the pump. I don't have any leaks around my rack, it seems to be right at the pump. I'll let it warm up and see if that helps in detecting the location of the leak. Thank you.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
buy an aftermaket pump with a lifetime warranty?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Cheyenne Trail Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joels98taco View Post
buy an aftermaket pump with a lifetime? warranty?

I'm leaning towards PSC. I'll look up the warranty info.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
^ that might be a thought think they use them on crawlers right? sorry for the double ? edited