Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transfer Case Breather venting into cabin

Old 01-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
Transfer Case Breather venting into cabin

Aah, the joys of an old truck. My '01 was seriously neglected by it's former owner, so each part that I take off is like a cornucopia of completely rusted out bits... Anyway, I'd been faintly smelling oil/grease in my cab for a while, especially with the windows open. I googled like mad and found this thread on TTORA:

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53260

Particularly this bit:

Quote:
because air moves throught the shift boot up and out the window and when u close the windows cabin is preasurised in a way
So I popped off the plastic bits and this is what I found. Yikes.

Edit: Does anyone also know the proper name for this part? ^^ Searching around gets me a lot of people looking to replace the actual shift boot, but not this cover/gasket.

I'm pretty sure that this might be the root cause of my problem. There's nothing leaking up there, but plenty of old oil and my breathers look to be in terrible shape. (Assuming they are where I think they are - just in front of each shifter, right?) The gasket under the shift boot is actually in decent condition but I'm going to replace it anyway.

How hard is it to replace these two breathers? I'm relatively mechanically inclined but when it comes to the transmission I really don't want to risk screwing anything up. I figure while I'm at it I'd relocate those breather exit points somewhere else.

Also, does anyone know what these plastic clips are actually called? They're what the shift boot plate actually screws into, and two of mine are broken. I'd like to get some new ones but I've no idea what they are called.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
In case it helps someone else who finds this thread - turns out the rusty as hell retainer in my second pic is called a "Shift lever boot retainer".

Attached Thumbnails
Transfer Case Breather venting into cabin-screen-shot-2013-01-12-5.05.07-pm.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Nobody on the breathers/clip part #?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
As far as the two breathers, IIRC, all you have to do is full the little cylindrical caps off, revealing a nipple, and you just need some rubber tubing and home hose clamps and you can route the vents elsewhere.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! I gave the caps a tug and they didn't seem to want to come off - mine are pretty gummed up. Do they unscrew, or just pull off?

Also, hopefully this will help anyone finding this thread - if your plastic clips for the shift lever boot retainer are busted, these 5/16" #18 speed nuts at Home Depot are a perfect fit. They slide right over the body panel and line up exactly where the screw comes in. I needed to drill out the covers slightly to get the screws in but other than that it's a 2 minute job that you can do from inside the cab. (I completely forgot to take a picture on the truck, but trust me - if you break your clips, these are what you want).

Attached Thumbnails
Transfer Case Breather venting into cabin-img_2751.jpg   Transfer Case Breather venting into cabin-img_2752.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Laissez les bons temps rouler
tacoma04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bruce
tacoma04's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look at this link. Look at post 4. You will see what those breathers look like.

Breather Link
Old 01-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
Thanks! I gave the caps a tug and they didn't seem to want to come off - mine are pretty gummed up. Do they unscrew, or just pull off?

I was able to pull one off and it was a battle.

Also, if you search for the rear diff breather mod on this forum and see what they use for that, there is a screw in union you can order from toyota to replace the breathers all together and run some hoses.