Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can I fit in a one car garage?

Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Can I fit in a one car garage?

Due to recent car break ins and I have a lease until November. I want to get a 1 car garage in my complex. Width wise will I fit? What is the standard size of a one car garage and the width of my truck? I am more concern the width then height. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Domreis is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Domreis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
Due to recent car break ins and I have a lease until November. I want to get a 1 car garage in my complex. Width wise will I fit? What is the standard size of a one car garage and the width of my truck? I am more concern the width then height. Thanks.
Length would be more likely I would think. Garage sizes vary significantly. You'll need to get the dimensions from your landlord.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Are you actually asking about length? It's hit or miss, some apartment garages are big enough for a compact, some can fit a full size truck. Check one before you rent it. Width should be fine for any vehicle except maybe a dually. Most 1 car garages are the same door width.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was told it is 11 x 22 and I am worried about fitting width wise through the garage door. I am also hoping the 11 x 22 the 11 is the inside width therefore my fat ass can still get out of the truck with the door opened up. I am more worried about the side mirrors hitting the garage opening rather then inside width and length.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #6

I took a rough rough measuring tape to it and it appears to be at least 8' wide maybe a bit wider and I think mirror to mirror we are at 7'? Not sure.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
An 8 foot door is typical for any 1 car garage. It will most likely fit but ask them before you pay.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #8

Ok so I got the tape out and it is 8' wide. I shouldn't have a problem fitting right?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
It will fit. I park in the 3rd stall at my parents' house and it's 8' wide.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #10

Yeah my calculations tell me this door is 8' by 7' minus a few inches due to trim I shouldn't have a problem. Now I just hope my truck doesn't get tapered with cause I don't get the garage until February.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
If anything height might be your issue..my wife got her 96 in my parents' garage easily side to side.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
The only Tacos I've heard of having problems fitting are the 2nd Gen DCLB.
1st Gen shouldn't be a problem... the DCSB and AC are the same length that Toyota trucks have been since the extended cabs were introduced and are only about two feet longer than a Corolla.
1st Gen was 185in for a regular cab, about 202in for AC/DC.
2nd Gen DCLB is 221"
Old 01-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #13

I know I the antenna will for sure hit.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
Team Impulse Red
CHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dan
CHPTR11's Tacoma Gallery
I realize its all relative since garages vary widely, but for what it's worth, my townhouse has a double deep single wide garage and it fits with ample room on either side.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I have an extra cab.

The width of my one-car garage door is 8 feet. Any narrower and it would be sketchy getting in without folding the mirrors.

The interior dimensions of my garage is 24' x 10'

At a minimum your garage would have to be 18' in length in order for an extra cab to fit. And mind you that wouldn't allow you to walk around the front or back of it.

In terms of the width, 10' is enough for both the passenger and driver side doors to open and a passenger of my size (6' 190 lbs) to get out. The doors do not open all the way but certainly enough. You could probably get away with a narrower garage if you don't mind squeezing out the door(s) or if you're just solo and don't mind the passenger side not being able to open much.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I have an extra cab.

The width of my one-car garage door is 8 feet. Any narrower and it would be sketchy getting in without folding the mirrors.

The interior dimensions of my garage is 24' x 10'

At a minimum your garage would have to be 18' in length in order for an extra cab to fit. And mind you that wouldn't allow you to walk around the front or back of it.

In terms of the width, 10' is enough for both the passenger and driver side doors to open and a passenger of my size (6' 190 lbs) to get out. The doors do not open all the way but certainly enough. You could probably get away with a narrower garage if you don't mind squeezing out the door(s) or if you're just solo and don't mind the passenger side not being able to open much.

Wow thanks for the photo. That's helps a lot.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
I second the checking the height especially if you plan on lifting your truck any higher. My shop is underneath my regular DD garage. My FJ40 clears the top of the door by about an inch. I actually had to take the handle off. So I can't go any bigger than the 4" lift and 33's I have on it now. But the first thing to invest in is a tape measure!