Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best way to buy a vehicle from a private owner who still owes the bank?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Best way to buy a vehicle from a private owner who still owes the bank?

So I found a vehicle that I would like the buy from a private owner. Of course he still owes the bank therefore he doesn't have the title. The bank does. Not a huge deal. Only thing is we are in CA and his lien holder resides in FL. He told me come next week we can meet at my personal bank (credit union) and have my bank call his lien holder. Wire transfer the money to pay off the "10 day payoff amount". And he will give me the vehicle then. The remaining amount that is his to keep will be at my bank on hold so he doesn't get anything from me that day and I get the vehicle. When the bank sends the title to him we and meet again and he can officially sign it over to me. Am I missing anything? Does my bank do such a thing when they don't get anything out of this transaction?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I sold a vehicle that I still owed on (to Toyota) and he just paid in full.

That said though, I think your best bet is going to be contacting the actual parties involved (basically the banks) to ask what is best.

The way Toyota wanted things done and the way his bank recommended were different, so once I contacted both and worked it out they told me a step by step of what all I needed, and what to get from my friend. Completed checklist, vehicle sold.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this same thing. Before paying off the owners loan, I had his bank type a bill of sale and we both signed and had it notarized by the bank. They mailed me the title
Old 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Talk to your bank and have them call his bank with account info, they will handle the money/title transaction part
Old 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So your bank did all the transfer of money and his lien holder sent the bill of sale? That's my question. I've done it before but I bought from him and his bank was local and took care of everything. In this case his bank he owes is in FL so can I have my bank so the deal is what I am asking?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Talk to your bank and have them call his bank with account info, they will handle the money/title transaction part
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks. I will talk to my bank tomorrow and we will meet sometime after and do the final transaction. Hopefully I'll be the bew owner of a 2009 DCSB SWB TRD Offroad 4wd Tacoma.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Mechanic for Honda

Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks. I will talk to my bank tomorrow and we will meet sometime after and do the final transaction. Hopefully I'll be the bew owner of a 2009 DCSB SWB TRD Offroad 4wd Tacoma.
Good luck
Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
You need paperwork from the bank.
Don't just pay off his loan... do that and he can tell the cops that you stole the truck.

Paperwork from the lienholder.
Joint check for the full amount of the sale.
He signs and sends the check to the lienholder.
They send you the title and send him a check for the excess funds.