1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual hub conversion?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Honey badger, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Jan 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    Honey badger

Honey badger [OP] Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bon
    Kinder, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    02 DC BLACK 3.4
    So I have a 2002 with automatic hubs and have been thinking of doing a manual hub conversion. I know where a set of manual lockout hubs are at. Now to do this conversion and use my factory spindles as well as keep my ABS what would I have to do and what parts will I need? Is it just pressing out the old hubs and wheel bearings and putting the new lockout hubs and wheel bearings in or is there more to it? I am thinking of doing this so that I can disconnect my ADD and have a lunch box type locker up front or a Detroit. Thanks for any help

2. Jan 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
  3. Jan 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    Honey badger

Honey badger [OP] Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bon
    Kinder, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    02 DC BLACK 3.4
    I did read that after I posted this. I seems like I can reuse my spindles and all I need is new wheel bearings and axle shafts.

4. Jan 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    Yea that's what it looks like to me also. If you click on the link to the kit he used, it has a full parts list. You can compare what you already have to that list and see what you need.

5. May 4, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    quetzal

quetzal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    '02 XtraCab SR5 TRD 4x4 5spd
    All-Pro UCAs, King 2.5 C/Os, All-Pro Expo Leafs, Bilstein 10" Shocks
  6. May 5, 2017 at 6:12 AM
    Timmah!

Timmah! Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    If you want to keep ABS function and the knuckles with manual hubs you find aren't ABS, you'll have to swap the the hubs from the manual knuckles to your current knuckles. This means press work on both knuckles to get everything apart. When pressing the hubs out of the bearing, the bearing gets destroyed. Don't even bother thinking you can get away with reusing the bearings. You will also need the CV axles from a manual hub Tacoma because your ADD CV axles are different. So, after buying a set of used knuckles, used CV axles (possibly rebooting them before installing), new bearings, new seals and possibly paying for the press work if you don't have the tools to do it yourself, you might be into this mod for quite a bit of coin.

Here's a video you can use for his mod if you decide to do it. We didn't do exactly what you're planning because my friend Jordan didn't have ABS to begin with so we just had to do press work on the knuckles he bought to get brake dust shields on them because they didn't come with shields due to the fact they were in bad shape and the seller cut them off.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TZ2sOfVrnhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. May 5, 2017 at 6:56 AM
    Buck18

Buck18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buck
    Euharlee GA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DC 4wd Limited TRD
    881's on Billie 5100's, Dakar's and 5100's, grey wire mod, 265 75 ko2
    Look for thread @DJB1 started. Tells all you need to know. I did this on my 01 DC. I didn't have ABS so didn't make difference to me. 1st gen ABS isn't really all that great IMO

Products Discussed in

To Top