Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OME 880's w/ Nitrochargers or 5100's. Which is better

Old 01-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
Twesty32 is on a distinguished road
Twesty32's Tacoma Gallery
OME 880's w/ Nitrochargers or 5100's. Which is better

I am looking to get some old man emu 880's for my 03 reg cab 4cyl 4x4. I just want to level my truck not really lift it, so i think the 880 will work great. I have searched and searched, i was wondering what you guys though works better the 5100's set at 0, or just go with the OME nitrochargers, since they are made to work with the spring. Also i have thought about using A Monroe strut, since monroe makes the OME shocks. Im looking for something with sportier, better handling, and just all around better ride. Any info would be Great
Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
OME coils, are made to work well with OME shocks..like you said.

So follow your own advice...haha
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Most people get 5100's cause of price and the lifetime warranty but I had both and prefer and love the feel and ride of the OME shocks.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
I know hundreds of people disagree, but I like the bilsteins with the OME coils. I think they're a little stiff to start, but they settle fairly nice and the added stiffness provides better cornering and IMO will stand up better to the trials of a Tacoma over the life of the vehicle.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
Most people get 5100's cause of price and the lifetime warranty but I had both and prefer and love the feel and ride of the OME shocks.
did you have the nitrocharger sports or just the regular ones?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #6
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NitroCharger Sport.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
which of the 2 would give better ride on the street.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
lisa (mt girl) has the 5100's and she says they are very stiff, and if she did it again she'd get the nitro's
Old 02-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #9

I only had Bilstein 5125's and OME NitroCharger Sport on the rear and of those two I prefer the OME.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Devout is on a distinguished road

Devout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
Most people get 5100's cause of price and the lifetime warranty...........

Don't forget that they can be rebuilt or re-valved; both add to the value, besides just the lower price.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
OME is a re-badged Monroe??

Say it ain't so!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #12

ARB has their own specific valving, R&D for their shocks but they are built by Monroe or in Monroe factory.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post

Say it ain't so!
I just read on here ARB makes the OME shocks. And if you go to 4wheelparts they have the OME suspension kit that comes with ARB shocks.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna be biased here and say OME is the better option of the 2
Old 02-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
Team Impulse Red
CHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dan
CHPTR11's Tacoma Gallery
I think you answered your own question in the first post. The Nitro's are specifically designed to work with the OME springs, the 5100's are not. I guarantee the full OME set up will ride better than a mix-n-match set.

For what its worth, I have the nitrochargers and 881's on my truck and the ride is much better than stock.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #16

Devout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post

Say it ain't so!

Monroe is owned by Teneco.

Teneco is a HUGE company that makes TONS of automotive stuff, including Monroe and Rancho.

Takes big $$$ to get set up making dampers. Ohlin, Bilstien and Penske are a few of the big names that make great dampers.

Bad or good, yes, Teneco does make dampers for OME.

The bad is only what your worst imagination can conjure up.

The good is that OME dampers are built to OME specs and backed by OME warranty, which means you can buy with confidence knowing what your getting for your $$$.

Same can be said for the others, too.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #17

Devout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I just read on here ARB makes the OME shocks.

ARB is the parent company. The write the specs for manufacture and do the distribution.

All my ARB experiences are positive; same as my friends.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #18
Im more thank l;likely going with the nitro chargers up front, Should i got OME on the rear too, or does it make much of a difference
Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #19

OME rear