1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Confused...Bad TPS?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 2k4Taco, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Jan 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    2k4Taco

2k4Taco [OP] IG: Swannybruh

Member:
    First Name:
    Swanny
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    16 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Icon 2.5s / 2.0's / //Dakar HD Pack//CBI T3 Front/ ATH HC Rear//SPC UCAs/ Camburg LCAs// MR312s w/ 34in Yoko GeoLndrs
    Hey guys! When I start my truck in the morning the rpm's start at about 1600-1800 and then immediately drop to 500ish and then jump back up to 1600-1800ish until it warms up. Then after I back out of my driveway and put it in D I push the gas and it hesitates for a second and then drives like normal. Ive changed the plugs to OEM plugs and changed the wires to NGKs and cleaned the K&N and its still the same problem. Ive read a few threads about APPS and TPS but it just confuses me Also would this effect my gas milage? Ive been averaging about 250-260 a tank and when I bought the truck I was around 300-310. Thanks guys!-Swanny.

2. Jan 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    Try cleaning the MAF if you have a k&n filter. Can you try to adjust the tps sensor?

3. Jan 19, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    2k4Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Swanny
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    16 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Icon 2.5s / 2.0's / //Dakar HD Pack//CBI T3 Front/ ATH HC Rear//SPC UCAs/ Camburg LCAs// MR312s w/ 34in Yoko GeoLndrs
    I did clean it. It was black on the leading edge so I cleaned it with a q-tip and brake parts cleaner and still nothing. I've read about adjusting the TPS but doesn't it work in conjunction with the APPS? And if its miss adjusted it would make it worse?

4. Jan 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    smuook

smuook Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
  5. Jan 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    man, you don't use brake parts cleaner on it. there is a good write up about cleaning it, use only MAF cleaner, and don't touch the wires inside. overoiling a K/ N filter even just a little bit over time will coat the wires with oil and lead to failure. I had one on a mustang gt for many years, never ruined one but did over oil several times.

and if not this, have you cleaned the Idle air valve?

6. Jan 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    2k4Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Swanny
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    16 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Whoops.... Ill get some MAF cleaner and try that out... Ill also try cleaning the IAC. Hopefully thats it.. I read somehwere that TPS's are coded and have to be done at the dealership so the ECU can read it? I might be wrong.. Thanks for the help guys Ill update you after I clean everything..-Swanny..

7. Jan 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    2k4Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Swanny
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    16 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Hey Frank, Ive been Sub'd to th at thread and Ive been trying to keep up with the posts.. Thanks bud!

8. Jan 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    without knowing how many miles on your truck, I would doubt that its a TPS, but its prob. the IAV, they can be a pain in the ass. when I got mine it has 176,000 miles, so I have gone through and done all the high miles maintenance jobs. I cannot stress enough about the MAF sensor, they are easy to maintain, and they are easy to mess up, and they are $$$ to replace. they changed the design on those i think from mine to yours, could be wrong, but I took mine out and used a flashlight to spot the wires and spray. but the 2 wires on the MAF sensors are sensitive to the oil on the KN filter and don't touch them with your fingers.
    I replaced my TPS with a lot of other things, but she now has 186,000 miles.

9. Jan 20, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    2k4Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Swanny
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    16 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    I have about 130XXX miles on the truck. I cleaned the MAF today with MAF cleaner and followed the directions to the T. So Ill see how that goes. My gas mileage has been pretty shitty so hopefully this helps.

10. Jan 20, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    one thing to do after that is to reset the trucks computer. if its never been done or you don't know if its been done, its prob. the IAV. wonderful little thing for emission that gets clogged up and screw with mpg. with 130,000 you might just want to take some time and do the throttle body cleaning with that, since its on the side of the throttle body, when I did mine it was black tar, and goo.

11. Jan 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    2k4Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Swanny
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    16 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    I installed an optima yellow top last week so the ECU was reset. If I remove the tb can I remove all of the components and be ok? Bc I know that the TPS is adjusted to the APPS. I want to make sure that when I install everything back on the tb its going to work correctly.

12. Jan 20, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    here is a write up with pics. http://mississippi-mud.com/Thread-DIY-cleaning-Throttle-Body-and-IAC-on-Toyota-3-4

I never messed with my TPS then, I did go ahead and replace it last summer, I just figured with age, it would not hurt.

but before diving into this make sure you get 2 new gaskets, while you might be able to use the TB gasket again, its not expensive, the little rubber one on the IAV is more critical, its cheap, it rips easy and any small air leak here will cause problems.
    again after doing this resent the computer.

Products Discussed in

To Top