Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sudden decline in MPG

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
calebdnehus is on a distinguished road
Name: Caleb
calebdnehus's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking in to finding a good replacment for my current K&N, but haven't found yet. Do you have any suggestions of good filters that would be just a swap out from the K&N without modification? I have a 1998 3.4 V6
Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #24
Okay, I have the cone filter so I'll go pro dry s
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #25
SUPERNICK is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
SUPERNICK's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been looking around got CIA systems and the one I seem to find that will work the best for me since Im in CA is the AEM. It has the CARB cert and a dry filter. So that may be an option for you. I also noticed poking around that K&N makes the filter products for them it seems.

I know a little off topic but could increase MPG jussayin
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Technically there is not true CAI for 1st gen trucks. The best option for that is to spend 8 bucks on a deckplate and cut a hole in your stock air box.

CAI systems are a wast of money..
Pardon my ignorance, but what makes this point valid? Is there a thread on here discussing this so we arent reinventing the wheel? If this is the case it may sway me to not waste my money
Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #29
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERNICK View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what makes this point valid? Is there a thread on here discussing this so we arent reinventing the wheel? If this is the case it may sway me to not waste my money
This has been discussed in many threads in the past. The stock intake is already a CAI since the air is being brought in from OUTSIDE the engine compartment. Any intake that brings in air from INSIDE the engine compartment would be considered a warm air intake.

Referring to a K&N system as a CAI is just marketing bulls**t. It may improve performance a little by letting in more air by doing less filtering. More crap gets into the combustion chambers, and the oil get dirtier faster.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #30
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Because a guy two post above said to possibly switch to an afe CAI to see a better increase in mileage possibly.

I'm saying its a waste of money and you should just get a afe filter fr 40 bucks and a deck plate for 8.

I see your new to TW. You'll come to find that pretty much every thread starts focused and ends in BS. Get used to it.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
I see your new to TW. You'll come to find that pretty much every thread starts focused and ends in BS. Get used to it.
Yes very nub and yes it seems there a lot for me to learn.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #32
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dyno results speak for themself:

http://www.gadgetonline.com/AirInduction.htm

If you don't trust Gadget, then you may as well not trust Mr. Toyota himself.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #33
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner76137 View Post
It could also be the cold weather, I go from 17-18 mpg to about 14-15 mpg in the winter.
Agreed. This is another phenomena to consider. I believe this occurs mainly for two reasons:

1) The "winter mix" of gasoline has more additives that give you less bang.

2) Cold fuel has a more negative impact on efficiency than does hot air. I believe there was something to Smokey Yunick's hot vapor engine. I mean, it's Smokey-Freaking-Yunick. Everyone talks cold air all of the time (colder air, more dense, more oxygen...yeah, I get it), but equally if not more important is having heated fuel. It seems there must be a decimal coefficient in front of the temperature factor in that equation. Just guessing.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #34
Anyone wanna buy a K&N FIPK for a 98 Tacoma 3.4? Haha
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #35
jaunty is on a distinguished road
jaunty's Tacoma Gallery
cold weather + winter fuel additives = bad MPG.

between ethanol and the other additives that make fuel vaporize more quickly, you're going to get worse fuel mileage. I was getting 19-22 now im getting 16-18. same driving style.

however, if you do find a cure let us all know!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #36
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEKBOY12295 View Post
1. is almost impossible to do.

Quite easily found when I lived in OK, not so easily found now that I live in Denver...

OP, it takes longer for the engines to fully warm up to "operational status" in the winter. I know my mileage suffers because of it. Also, I learned that "bad gas" from a gas station that doesn't do a lot of business (when it takes longer than 60 days to sell their gas) will eff up your trucks mileage and performance.

Ultimately, here in Denver regular is 85 octane. After a couple of weeks of noticing how lazy my truck felt, I went up to mid-grade (87 in here) and have not looked back. This was after I threw a bottle of "REAL TECHRON" in the tank.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #37
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
adjust the throttle pos sensor on back of throttle body. this will adjust AFR and allow you to play with the gas millage

clean maff with maf cleaner, clean throttle body, one can of sea foam in the tank, run some premium, check your plugs (might aswell replace its like 8 bucks) check CEL for codes related to AFR or misfire/ run lean or rich. run one can of sea foam through the brake booster line while truck is running.

i got 23 mpg on a 3.4 modded with 9psi on supercharger after i did these things.

but it never lasts for me. just temp
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #38
Thanks for all the advice, I will have to do all these things until I find the cure. I will let y'all know once I do. I'm in college right now so I'll have to wait for a weekend where I can get home to my tools and other goodies. Haha
Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #39
Devout is on a distinguished road

Devout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJPP View Post
Agreed. This is another phenomena to consider. I believe this occurs mainly for two reasons:

1) The "winter mix" of gasoline has more additives that give you less bang.

2) Cold fuel has a more negative impact on efficiency than does hot air. I believe there was something to Smokey Yunick's hot vapor engine. I mean, it's Smokey-Freaking-Yunick. Everyone talks cold air all of the time (colder air, more dense, more oxygen...yeah, I get it), but equally if not more important is having heated fuel. It seems there must be a decimal coefficient in front of the temperature factor in that equation. Just guessing.
Smokey Yunick was a fraud. The reason his nickname was 'Smokey' wasn't because of his tobacco habit, it was because every engine he ever built burned too much oil and left a blue haze out the exhaust pipe.

Cold engines make more power, which is why dragsters run cold engines and all performance chips have you run a cooler thermostat.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #40
jaunty is on a distinguished road
jaunty's Tacoma Gallery
cold air is densor and therefore requires more fuel. It makes more power, but at a cost--and that cost is fuel.

Products Discussed in this Thread