1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Strength, Bike Hauler

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by spmccormick85, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    spmccormick85

spmccormick85 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Montana
    I'm looking at buying a 96 V6 Tacoma so I can haul my bike/things around because I move every six months. 1k mile road trips every 6 months...

That being said, I want to haul my KLR which weighs about 430lbs wet. It's a short bed so I don't want to bend the tailgate as I have seen with others. Ideally, I want this setup...

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo...tml?feed=npn&gclid=CLmg3IGP-7QCFQhyQgodM28A-w

I know the hitch itself and the bike carrier can manage the 430lbs, but, I've read a lot about the weak frame strength of the gen 1 Tacoma's. I've also heard about strengthening the frame.

What I'm looking to know, is, do you recommend i reinforce the frame or can I get away with towing the 430lbs as is? Remember, the weight is straight down on the hitch, it's not a trailer.

Thanks.

2. Jan 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    spmccormick85

spmccormick85 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Montana
    Yeah, I would have no problem buying the kit, unfortunately, I'm not as handy as a lot of the folks on here. Not a welder and it seems like boxing is quite a process from what I understand. I've been trying to get ahold of local garages to see if they would do it but a lot of people don't want to take that challenge on. I'm in San Diego if anyone knows a good shop. I'm curious what it would cost for labor.

Products Discussed in

To Top