1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

looking for some reassurance re: Frame Rust

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by GomerPyle, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Jan 22, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    GomerPyle

GomerPyle [OP] New Member

Member:
    first, I've searched the forum and read thread after thread after thread on the 1st gen frame rust issue, but I'm still confused. Some people say their particular VIN number wasn't included and they were basically SOL....others say theirs wasn't included but they had rust problems and they were covered anyway.

I'm looking to buy a 1st Gen, specifically an '01-'04 model, but the whole frame rust issue has me scared and seriously second-guessing the decision to look at the Tacomas. As a 2nd (or possibly 3rd) owner, if I buy a truck and it develops frame rust, will I be covered as far as a replacement frame? If I buy one that is not currently rusted, will I be able to get the free undercoat spray?

I've pretty much had my heart set on one of these trucks but now I've about talked myself out of it due to this 1 issue.

any feedback you guys can provide?

2. Jan 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    BigTaco508

BigTaco508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5
    The whole warranty coverage of the frame is certainly a grey area. That being said, just look the truck over thoroughly before you buy it. If you find a rust free truck and take precautions to keep it that way, you can enjoy a 1st gen for decades to come. Conversely, of you aren't careful you could buy someone else's rusty problem and be disappointed. Just do your homework and make sure you get under the truck and make sure it is clean, then take steps to keep it that way. This issue shouldn't scare you off of these trucks, they are great vehicles in almost every way, but it should just make you more mindful of the particular truck you select. I plan on having my Tacoma for many more years and look forward to keeping it in the family. Good Luck! ;)

3. Jan 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Just don't buy one that's ever been in a state where they use road salt in the winter months and you'll be fine. I believe the undercoating thing has expired but there are plenty of products on the market that you can use to do a DIY job accomplishing the same thing. I used stuff from Eastwood on my 96 after doing a minor frame repair.

4. Jan 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    Get the VIN and check if it is included in the program.. You can also check service records while you're at it to see if the truck was well taken care of, and always do a thorough inspection of your own!

5. Jan 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM
    GomerPyle

GomerPyle [OP] New Member

Member:
    thanks for the replies.....was expecting at least 1 or 2 smart-ass responses because I know this subject has been beaten to death, resurrected, and beaten to death again.

6. Jan 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    toys4ever

toys4ever Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 4-banger stick
    Look it over good, take a flashlight and get under there. Check the cab mount location on the frame I have seen these rot out many times. If its rusted some but solid, dont be scared, a few hours with a wire wheel and I also use "evercoat" undercoating from eastwood. Its great stuff and goes on very nice, its actually black, and protects unlike most other walmart types of undercoating. I have done 5+ tacomas and many other vehicles and the tacomas are no worse off. Did a F250 that seen 1 winter with 17k on it and it was the worst frame I have ever seen, Ford shoulda had a recall there!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top