Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rust on 2001 frame recall

Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
POWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nice

POWHANA's Tacoma Gallery
Rust on 2001 frame recall

Does anyone know if Toyota is still honoring their recall of rust on their frames?? I have a 2001 Tacoma (see my pics). There is some rust on my frame but nothing like some of the horrific pics I've been seeing online.

Thanks All!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the area. My mom just got her 02 frame replaced due to rust.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
StevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud of
Name: Steve
StevoNB's Tacoma Gallery
If you got the free frame undercoating done at the dealership a few years ago, your frame is covered for 15 years. I think its 15 years from when your truck was first registered, but ive read a couple different possibilities of when the 15 years starts. My dad worked at a dealer for years and he said they still have the odd truck come in that had the frame undercoated and it still rusted out. Kinda depends how far along the rust was when the coating was put on, and how good of a job the tech did who put the coating on.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Banned
Streetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of light
Streetsurfz727's Tacoma Gallery
can you still get the free undercoating?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetsurfz727 View Post
I got mine done two years ago
Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
POWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nice

POWHANA's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't get the undercoating. California is not one of the 20 "cold" states. But the truck lives here in Tahoe. In my garage for now. Bummer. I'll ask the dealership
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
StevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud of
Name: Steve
StevoNB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetsurfz727 View Post
I think I had to have my 2003 done by Dec 2010, but I'm in Canada though. I don't think all states are even included in the recall, and a couple had the deadline extended, but your probably too late.

The recall was different for 1996-2000 trucks than it was for 2001-2004 though, so I'm not sure if you ever would have qualified for the undercoating. Try searching, there's probably a lot of threads on this topic.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #8

POWHANA's Tacoma Gallery
I talked with Toyota today, they are going to assess the situation and possibly do a new undercoating
Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 AM   #10
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. I need to get mine checked out for the new tire carrier recall and hope they will re-coat my frame too.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
Nice. I need to get mine checked out for the new tire carrier recall and hope they will re-coat my frame too.
did you get your "letter" yet for the spare?

I had my frame inspected again last month (undercoated in nov. 2011) and asked about the spare tire recall; they told me to wait until they had a "solution" worked out and I'd get a letter, nothin yet..

also if you've had the coating done once, they will not do it again.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I got my letter a week or two ago.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
I got my 02 undercoated, a lot of that shit has flaked off and the drivers side bump stop rusted and collapsed, anyone got any idea if that counts as "rust perforation"? I should probly call Toyota corporate
Old 01-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
they only did the undercoating if you were in certain areas.. Cali in general wasn't one but I dont know if Tahoe was covered or not.. you'll have to look into that. they were doing new frames on the 01+ last I knew but you'll have to look into that as well.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
streamreeper is just really nicestreamreeper is just really nicestreamreeper is just really nicestreamreeper is just really nice

Name: matt
streamreeper's Tacoma Gallery
i just had my 04 trd frame replaced in nov2012.it had to b done by the dealer by december. i got the truck back, but there were no skid plates under my ifs or gas tank anymore-was kinda pisst.they said they were t far gone to put back on.but they did put brand new leaf springs on???i live in western new york,bad winters here.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #16
grovestreet is on a distinguished road
grovestreet's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my 04 last year and I believe the previous owner did not do anything about the recall (and Minnesota truck too).

Gonna ask the dealer about it when I change the engine oil.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #17
adower is on a distinguished road
adower's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought my Tacoma about two weeks ago. I dont really see any rust on the frame. Should I go ahead and take it in anyways for inspection? Do I just tell them I want them to check for frame rust? Also, I've read that the "recall" was only good until 2012. Am I SOL even though I am a new owner?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #18
abuali7866 is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
abuali7866's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd, I'm in the same boat.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #19
Three Tacomas Deep
ScudRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
ScudRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2002 before my current 2007.

I had the coat done in 2011. Dealer practically pulled me in to get it done.

This was in Minnesota.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
abuali7866 is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
abuali7866's Tacoma Gallery
Also in Mn. What dealer was it?