LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How To: Replacing Carrier Bearing

Old 09-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #41
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
What are the symptoms of a bad center/carrier bearing? I've begun noticing an odd grinding/rubbing noise as I let off the gas pedal which seems like a drive shaft/u-joint problem since the load is being removed/added. I also have a vibration between 55-70 mph.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #42
ChrisTRD1 is on a distinguished road
ChrisTRD1's Tacoma Gallery
My carrier bearing made a loud PING noise when taking off from a stop, but felt fairly solid with no apparent play.

Fixed it right up with one of these for $25: http://www.driveshaftparts.com/cente...dra-1995-2012/

Looked and felt exactly like the OEM bearing that came off.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #43
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
To anyone that installed a Dorman carrier bearing, which direction to the tabs face, front or rear or does it not matter?

EDIT: Nvm, it will only install one way. It looks like it can go the other way but in reality, it can not.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #44
Toyota4x46921 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Toyota4x46921's Tacoma Gallery
Was curious how the 25 dollar bearing is holding up?

QUOTE=ChrisTRD1;7517998]My carrier bearing made a loud PING noise when
taking off from a stop, but felt fairly solid with no apparent play.

Fixed it right up with one of these for $25: http://www.driveshaftparts.com/cente...dra-1995-2012/

Looked and felt exactly like the OEM bearing that came off.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #45
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
I bought a $30 from Amazon, DEA brand. It fixed my vibration fully but the bearing is whistling after 2 days.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #46
Senior Citizen
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverno4 View Post
I bought a $30 from Amazon, DEA brand. It fixed my vibration fully but the bearing is whistling after 2 days.
I'm confused, in your PM you said there was still some vibes. Maybe I misunderstood.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #47
It fixed my one as I let off the gas pedal which I was afraid of it being pinion bearing or larger issue. I do still have a slight vibration but nothing like before. The new carrier bearing is squealing already.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #48
Senior Citizen
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It fixed my one as I let off the gas pedal which I was afraid of it being pinion bearing or larger issue. I do still have a slight vibration but nothing like before. The new carrier bearing is squealing already.
Cool, sort of.
Just a thought, I have witnessed the center ball in a DC joint start to squeal after flopping around during a CB/u-joint change and the other way around too (stopped squealing). Put a shot of grease in that center ball zerk, just for the heck of it and apply a little discount to my PM reply.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #49
ChrisTRD1 is on a distinguished road
ChrisTRD1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota4x46921 View Post
Was curious how the 25 dollar bearing is holding up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTRD1 View Post
My carrier bearing made a loud PING noise when
taking off from a stop, but felt fairly solid with no apparent play.

Looked and felt exactly like the OEM bearing that came off.
I have 20k miles on this bearing so far, no problems at all
Old 10-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #50
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
When you guys replace the carrier bearing, you'll absolutely want to change the flange nut too.

Heres the part you need.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #51
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
When you guys replace the carrier bearing, you'll absolutely want to change the flange nut too.

Heres the part you need.

Why do you say we'll absolutely want to replace it? I re-used mine, no issues whatsoever.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #52
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Why do you say we'll absolutely want to replace it? I re-used mine, no issues whatsoever.
I took a look at the upper lip of that bolt. It's tapered inward. As you thread it on, it stretches the staked end out. It's a stronger hold.

Reusing a stretched out nut is your call...
Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #53

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I took a look at the upper lip of that bolt. It's tapered inward. As you thread it on, it stretches the staked end out. It's a stronger hold.

Reusing a stretched out nut is your call...
So you can't thread the new bolt on by hand?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #54
Ace of Spades

Quote:
So you can't thread the new bolt on by hand?
You can, to a point. You get about 6 rotations in, and it binds.

I talked with one of my buddies that's a tech at the stealership. He says they use the old nut to reseat the bearing (torqued 134ft/lbs, iirc), then they pull it back off, shit can the old nut, and install and torque the new one to 51 ft /lbs and stake it.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #55

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can, to a point. You get about 6 rotations in, and it binds.

I talked with one of my buddies that's a tech at the stealership. He says they use the old nut to reseat the bearing (torqued 134ft/lbs, iirc), then they pull it back off, shit can the old nut, and install and torque the new one to 51 ft /lbs and stake it.
That's what I was looking for. Well shit... I'm not taking that whole f-in thing apart again to replace the nut, I'll keep an eye on it. Good tip, should be in the OP so people know to buy that nut along with the bearing.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #56
Nic914AZ is on a distinguished road
Name: Nic
Nic914AZ's Tacoma Gallery
If you stake it.... How could the old nut ever come off....

I'm not concerned but if I did it again, maybe I would use a new nut if they don't charge 20 bucks for it.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #57
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Heres the part you need.

Quote:
That's what I was looking for. Well shit... I'm not taking that whole f-in thing apart again to replace the nut, I'll keep an eye on it. Good tip, should be in the OP so people know to buy that nut along with the bearing.

Agreed! After changing my carrier bearing I agree this is a good idea, I didn't change mine and have no intention of going back in to change it but if I had known it was this type of nut & "staked" beforehand I would have changed it. Highly recommend anyone changing their carrier bearing order this nut too!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #58
Alderleet, any chance you checked the size of that nut?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #59
Ace of Spades

Quote:
Alderleet, any chance you checked the size of that nut?
Not yet. I'm heading to the shop in 2 hours, so i'll have an update for you.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #60
Ace of Spades

1.5mm threads.