Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How To: Replacing Carrier Bearing

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #61
Robert Alexander is on a distinguished road
Robert Alexander's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know the torque spec for the two 14 mm bolts that hold the carrier bearing to the body?

Is there any procedure for aligning the carrier bearing and or pre loading it?
Mine was off angle and I don't want to put the new one that way.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #62
02coma is on a distinguished road

02coma's Tacoma Gallery
27ft lb
Old 11-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #63
quag600 is on a distinguished road

quag600's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, I'm doing mine soon. Just got a Timken carrier and 3 new moog ujoints. Gonna replace them all.
Nice write up, thanks
Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #64
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by quag600 View Post
Cool, I'm doing mine soon. Just got a Timken carrier and 3 new moog ujoints. Gonna replace them all.
Nice write up, thanks
I hope you have better luck with the Moog u-joints than I did. I bought 3, 1 didn't fit, the second fits but is a little tighter than I'd ideally like it to be and I didn't even try the third. All in all, I bought 3 u-joints and only replaced one joint.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #65
NM Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
NM Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Just purchased an '01 that has 113k on it and seems to have excessive play in the center bearing. I do have a (rear?) vibration between 60 and 70 mph and the newer-looking BFG ATs are cupping already. My rear leafs look pretty tired and I'm planning to replace them pretty soon too since I'm experiencing unacceptable axle wrap. Would poor rear leafs cause premature center bearing wear with the axle wrap I'm experiencing? If so, I'll hold off on the driveshaft work until the new leafs are installed.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #66
Robert Alexander is on a distinguished road
Robert Alexander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Taco View Post
Just purchased an '01 that has 113k on it and seems to have excessive play in the center bearing. I do have a (rear?) vibration between 60 and 70 mph and the newer-looking BFG ATs are cupping already. My rear leafs look pretty tired and I'm planning to replace them pretty soon too since I'm experiencing unacceptable axle wrap. Would poor rear leafs cause premature center bearing wear with the axle wrap I'm experiencing? If so, I'll hold off on the driveshaft work until the new leafs are installed.
Is your vibration on accel or deaccel, does it go away with the clutch in?
be sure to check you rear ujoint first. disconnect the drive shaft from the rear diff and check it for play. You will not get much if any play when it is connected. I replaced my carrier bearing and it was more the rear u joint that was the problem. Oh make sure to make some alignment marks before you disconnect the drive shaft.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #67
NM Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
NM Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Alexander View Post
Is your vibration on accel or deaccel, does it go away with the clutch in?
be sure to check you rear ujoint first. disconnect the drive shaft from the rear diff and check it for play. You will not get much if any play when it is connected. I replaced my carrier bearing and it was more the rear u joint that was the problem. Oh make sure to make some alignment marks before you disconnect the drive shaft.
Hope that helps.
It's an auto but I bumped it into N at about 65 and it had no affect. Still had vibration and it doesn't matter if I'm accell/decell/constant. Grease everything tomorrow and see if that helps. Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #68
HIJAK is on a distinguished road
Name: Gabriel
HIJAK's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up!

I'm wraith for my bearing to arrive and I will be using this write up for guidance. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #69
elkhunter358 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Steven
elkhunter358's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got vibes rolling around 65+/-. My only difference is that it is more pronounced when the load is on the left (when I swerve right). And when I swerve left the vibes deminish. Led me to believe its a wheel bearing, so I replaced, and still vibes continue. So I replaced the left CV axle, and still the vibes continue.
Could this be where my vibes are coming from? Would I expirence for vibes when the Left side of the truck is loaded and less vibes when its not?
Thanks for your help.
01 4x4 205k miles
Old 07-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #70
Logger is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
Logger's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=TBeers;6717464]I just replaced mine, but I screwed up! I got so excited I forgot to mark the flange to spline shaft alignment with a sharpie (marked all others though).

I plan on replacing mine this weekend, can someone explain where this mark should be or what part you are referring to? I see the other markings that the OP has. thx.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #71
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Logger;8899651]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBeers View Post
I just replaced mine, but I screwed up! I got so excited I forgot to mark the flange to spline shaft alignment with a sharpie (marked all others though).

I plan on replacing mine this weekend, can someone explain where this mark should be or what part you are referring to? I see the other markings that the OP has. thx.
You have to make the marks yourself. You're just marking from the flange to the drive shaft where it meets the flange. Mark both the side coming from the transmission or transfer case and also the rear end. You're just marking to make sure you put it back on in the same exact orientation. There are 4 bolts on the front and rear of the drive shaft that bolt either end to a flange. You want to make sure that the holes on the flange and the drive shaft that were mated up when you started are the same ones that are lined up when you're done.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #72
Logger is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
Logger's Tacoma Gallery
Ok got it. TBeers made it sound like there's another thing to mark aside from what the pics show. I decided to do it myself, especially after the shop I talked to said they don't normally worry about torquing and re-torquing to "set" the bearing.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #73
PA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nice

Army:
PA452's Tacoma Gallery
Rock Auto has a DORMAN and SKF bearing; the SKF is nearly 3x as expensive. Any reason to go SKF over DORMAN?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #74

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA452 View Post
Rock Auto has a DORMAN and SKF bearing; the SKF is nearly 3x as expensive. Any reason to go SKF over DORMAN?
I just responded to your other thread. Not sure what brand OEM is but I wouldn't go with Dorman. I got an OEM bearing through Camelback Toyota for just over $150.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #75
The Anti-Bling
TheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Theo
TheosTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #76
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
So I'm in the middle of this and the fange infront of the carrier bearing isn't coming off. Nut is off washer is off. Its like it is seized or am I missing something.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #77

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlife View Post
So I'm in the middle of this and the fange infront of the carrier bearing isn't coming off. Nut is off washer is off. Its like it is seized or am I missing something.
Mine took quite a few hits from a rubber mallet to free up. It doesn't just pull off.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #79

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlife View Post
ok cool. I have been sitting here watching videos to make sure its not got a clip anywhere I'm not seeing.
Nope, get out the rubber mallet and don't be shy with it. Mine took quite a bit of persuasion to finally free up.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #80
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Nope, get out the rubber mallet and don't be shy with it. Mine took quite a bit of persuasion to finally free up.

Yeah that worked. But I gotta get the cut off wheel out and cut a stubborn u joint that won't come out.

Products Discussed in this Thread