LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How To: Replacing Carrier Bearing

Old 11-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #61
Robert Alexander is on a distinguished road
Robert Alexander's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know the torque spec for the two 14 mm bolts that hold the carrier bearing to the body?

Is there any procedure for aligning the carrier bearing and or pre loading it?
Mine was off angle and I don't want to put the new one that way.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #62
02coma is on a distinguished road

02coma's Tacoma Gallery
27ft lb
Old 11-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #63
quag600 is on a distinguished road

quag600's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, I'm doing mine soon. Just got a Timken carrier and 3 new moog ujoints. Gonna replace them all.
Nice write up, thanks
Old 11-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #64
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by quag600 View Post
Cool, I'm doing mine soon. Just got a Timken carrier and 3 new moog ujoints. Gonna replace them all.
Nice write up, thanks
I hope you have better luck with the Moog u-joints than I did. I bought 3, 1 didn't fit, the second fits but is a little tighter than I'd ideally like it to be and I didn't even try the third. All in all, I bought 3 u-joints and only replaced one joint.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #65
NM Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
NM Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Just purchased an '01 that has 113k on it and seems to have excessive play in the center bearing. I do have a (rear?) vibration between 60 and 70 mph and the newer-looking BFG ATs are cupping already. My rear leafs look pretty tired and I'm planning to replace them pretty soon too since I'm experiencing unacceptable axle wrap. Would poor rear leafs cause premature center bearing wear with the axle wrap I'm experiencing? If so, I'll hold off on the driveshaft work until the new leafs are installed.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #66
Robert Alexander is on a distinguished road
Robert Alexander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Taco View Post
Just purchased an '01 that has 113k on it and seems to have excessive play in the center bearing. I do have a (rear?) vibration between 60 and 70 mph and the newer-looking BFG ATs are cupping already. My rear leafs look pretty tired and I'm planning to replace them pretty soon too since I'm experiencing unacceptable axle wrap. Would poor rear leafs cause premature center bearing wear with the axle wrap I'm experiencing? If so, I'll hold off on the driveshaft work until the new leafs are installed.
Is your vibration on accel or deaccel, does it go away with the clutch in?
be sure to check you rear ujoint first. disconnect the drive shaft from the rear diff and check it for play. You will not get much if any play when it is connected. I replaced my carrier bearing and it was more the rear u joint that was the problem. Oh make sure to make some alignment marks before you disconnect the drive shaft.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #67
NM Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
NM Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Alexander View Post
Is your vibration on accel or deaccel, does it go away with the clutch in?
be sure to check you rear ujoint first. disconnect the drive shaft from the rear diff and check it for play. You will not get much if any play when it is connected. I replaced my carrier bearing and it was more the rear u joint that was the problem. Oh make sure to make some alignment marks before you disconnect the drive shaft.
Hope that helps.
It's an auto but I bumped it into N at about 65 and it had no affect. Still had vibration and it doesn't matter if I'm accell/decell/constant. Grease everything tomorrow and see if that helps. Thanks for the tips.