1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st gen tacomas with HID lights! Pictures please!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 03tacoman, Jan 28, 2013.

1. May 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Don't buy just the bulbs. Please do a retrofit instead. It'll cost more, but it'll give better light output and not blind others on the road. Our stock housings are not set up to run HID kits stock, which is the reason for doing a retrofit.

Also, 8000k will not give you the brightest output. But if you prefer the blueish light over the brightest, then go for 8000k if you feel like it...
    [​IMG]

Here are two retrofit kits that I recommend.
    http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=227

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=237

2. May 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    Doa52

Doa52 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Nashville Tn.
    Vehicle:
    2004 trd extended cab
    Stock with grey wire mod, removed mud flaps
    When you buy 8000k bulbs you only loose how bright and how far your light goes... The best kelvin temp is around 5000k it's a pure white and has the highest lumens.. 6000k has a slight blue if that's what you want... A projector retro will get you the brightest far reaching light that won't blind on coming traffic

3. May 23, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    It amazes me that with all the information available to members of the forum, we still get people looking to buy 8000k bulbs and throwing them in their stock housings. That's what irresponsible teenagers with lowered ricers do, that's not what respectable tacoma owners are about

4. May 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM
    PcBuilder14

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Haha I was one of those teenagers that put 6000k HID's in my stock housing of my 96 Tacoma.... :pout:

5. May 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    You still had the mind to get 6000k bulbs! That's still close enough to white. I'll probably go with them when I do my retrofit but I can't tell you how many times I've read:

"yo I want to get 8000k bulbs because I saw them on my homies civic and they're SOO bright and I want to brightest, most blinding lights ever"

It's fucking purple and looks terrible...just terrible. The only thing worse is coupling them with piss-yellow fog lights

6. May 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    PcBuilder14

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Haha true. On the fog lights though, people tend to go with yellow because they are better for fogs. I just personally hate the look of yellow fogs and will be going LED in the future for fog lights.

7. May 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    Oooo LED would be awesome. Yeah yellow just doesn't do it for me i know it reflects off the fog better but it's just such an ugly color for light, especially after it took technological advances this long to make pure white driving light

8. May 23, 2013 at 11:31 PM
    PcBuilder14

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Agreed. Whenever I do get a plate bumper I'm going with Rigid Industries Dually's.

9. May 29, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    The Sovereign State of Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1997 LX Xtracab 4x4 V6 3.4L
    Eh, see my Build Thread sig link. Too many mods to list.
    Yep! I've got the same Taco as you and just finished my retrofit a week or so ago.

I used these Pilot 7x6 housings.

And the Miromoto H1 6000K kit from TRS plus their butyl sealing glue. Use the H4/9003 wiring harness.

eBay one of these for $5: H4 HID Bi-xenon Error Warning Canceller Leakage Module and plug it into the unused factory harness on the passenger side when done. That will create a load and allow your high beam console indicator to work again. Mine arrived yesterday. Plugged it in and voila'.

You also need some JB Weld.

Other than that, all you need are your oven, Dremel tool with cutoff wheels and cutting bit, and safety glasses. And do the cutting/grinding in the garage or outside. Really messy fine plastic particles are created.

Note that the projector appears to be sagging a bit. It was. I managed to catch and correct that before the JB Weld set all the way. Use a little bit of metal tape (high heat for water heater use) to secure the projector to the housings. JB weld right over the top of it. Allow it to set up for 30 minutes or so, then go test fit them in your truck. See if your cutoff lines are even in the ballpark. One of mine wasn't, that's how I discovered how severe it had sagged. You should be able to gently move the projector close to where it needs to be. Carefully take them back out and set them so they won't move any further and let cure another couple hours. Then before re-sealing, wipe down all inside pieces (including the lens and inside of the cover) with the alcohol wipes to remove all fingerprints and particles.

JB Weld is more runny than I expected. A little bit got inside the housing where I didn't have it sealed all the way. You can only see it if you look for it though. Also got some on the wiring when I was test fitting, and apparently a drop on the bumper. Oops. So just be mindful and careful.

Pilot housings before:

[​IMG]

Heating in the oven:

[​IMG]

Gently prying the two halves apart:

[​IMG]

After prying the covers off, remove the existing glue while it's still warm and pliable. I worked on it when it was cooler, should have reheated it. When I removed the glue, some of the chrome was pulled off. I touched it up with a sharpie just to be sure black didn't show through. If I had blacked out the headlights, this wouldn't be an issue.

[​IMG]

Also note in this picture that one of the retaining clip holders is bent a little. I should have corrected that with a pair of pliers so it's seated all the way. I'll do that at some point when I feel like pulling the front end apart again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The passenger side headlight looks twisted in this picture. It actually isn't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The driver's side projector needed to be turned ever so slightly clockwise (looking at the back) as you can see a slight downwards slope. I can live with this though. I might even be able to do something with the way it's mounted to correct this if my OCD annoys me too much. :)

[​IMG]

Sorry no pictures of during/after the cutting & shaping of the reflector holes for the projectors. I got a little impatient and didn't want to stop to take pictures. I wanted it done!

This ended up being a two day project. Thought I could do it in one, but no. I'd allow a weekend. Hopefully you have another vehicle to drive.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. May 29, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    sk8rjess

sk8rjess IG: @whoishack

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    some duct tape and zip ties
    sweet, now get them things aligned!

11. May 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    chasebrooks14

chasebrooks14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Acura TSX (RIP LaToya)
    Mickey Thompson Classic iii, Green LED interior floor lights, After market Kenwood touch screen radio, 20% window tint, Blacked out bumpers and grill, blacked out tail lights, Pioneer door speakers, bed lined toolbox, LED tailgate light bar w/ reverse lights, Bilstein 5100 all 4 corners and top setting up front, Trd Coils, New 1.5" lift leaf pack and shackles, White gages with blue needles. 32x11.5 Cooper STTs, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

dang that looks sick! but im not to sure of retro fitting, though i do like the light output. but whenever i have stuff that needs a dremel, i take it to my grandpa since he is like a master carpenter. but he isnt doing well ATM and im too scared to just plung into it so i thought i would just buy some reflectors

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. May 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM
    stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    The two scariest things for me were:

1] Dremeling the Pilot housings. What if I made the holes too big or something? Then I realized that it was ok. It was only $30 and I could just order new ones and try again.

2] Using the JB Weld. That made it permanent and if I had screwed up then ALL of it was a loss. $320 > $30.

Luckily neither of the above came to be. Just go slow with the Dremel and test fit over and over. Do little bits at a time. The second housing went easier than the first.

I'll add another picture here. On the back side of each housing are little nubs on each corner. Grind/cut them flat. The retaining ring that holds the headlight in wouldn't fit properly with them still there since the edge had added thickness. This caused some issues with being able to screw the ring down correctly.

[​IMG]

TRS actually sent me a link to a 7x6 retrofit video that was really helpful. It gave me the basic concept of what I would have to do. Check it.

Oh, and one more thing...on the driver's side the battery is right there. If I would have made the reflector hole too big, then the projector would have gone too far back and hit the battery. That would have been a bad thing. So measure how much room there is from the back of one of the mounted Pilot housings (with the mount bulb mounts and nubs cut off). You do also have to make the hole big enough so that when the projector goes in, the clear housing covers can go back on and be resealed without hitting the projector lens.

Now I apparently just have to take a screwdriver to them for adjustment as there's only supposed to be one step, not two. Oops. Live and learn. (Thanks Cody.) :)

This was the hardest mod I've done to my truck. I'm pleased with how it turned out even though it might have been a little more perfect had I slowed down just a little. I think.

13. May 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    sk8rjess

sk8rjess IG: @whoishack

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    some duct tape and zip ties
    it's all good, always happy to see another retro instead of a HID kit!
    you'll love it that much more as well, man!

14. May 29, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    Another $400 and I can knock the Honda out too. Although, I will miss my 8000K bulbs...sure do like that color. Yeah, I know they have less lumens, but still. :D

15. May 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM
    PcBuilder14

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    I forgot about this mod. I want to do it so bad! but I have other needs...

16. May 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    bellassaiw10

bellassaiw10 Formally afroman5015

Member:
    Currituck NC
    Vehicle:
    09 LMM 2500HD Duramax
    Said no one ever :p

17. May 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM
    PcBuilder14

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Well it's either do a retrofit or or buy sliders. I think I need sliders more haha

18. May 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    See slightly better vs protecting the truck

I think protecting wins this round :D

19. May 29, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    PcBuilder14

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Haha yeah. I may do it if I have some extra money I want to spend.

20. May 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    chasebrooks14

chasebrooks14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Acura TSX (RIP LaToya)
    Mickey Thompson Classic iii, Green LED interior floor lights, After market Kenwood touch screen radio, 20% window tint, Blacked out bumpers and grill, blacked out tail lights, Pioneer door speakers, bed lined toolbox, LED tailgate light bar w/ reverse lights, Bilstein 5100 all 4 corners and top setting up front, Trd Coils, New 1.5" lift leaf pack and shackles, White gages with blue needles. 32x11.5 Cooper STTs, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers
    :annoyed: now i really want to do this........but im scared to just start cutting up my headlights. cause i know i get impatient with things and it wont go over well...

Products Discussed in

To Top