Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ignition Light Ring Mod help!!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #21
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb

So here's an update:

My order of white LEDs (5 led -3 on top 2 on sides- 360 angle type) came in the mail so I had to rush home from work to get going on replacing the weak green incandescent bulb in the 4Runner light ring. Here it is connected to the light socket:

On my way home I hit ratshack and got me 2 packs (I only really needed one pack but never hurts to get an extra) of 1 watt 100 Ohm resistors:

Then I took a pair of them and secured them together using a couple of butt connectors:

Plugged everything together and the white LED lit up!! WOOT!!! I also notice that the ring light blinking issue I posted earlier went away when turing off the dome light. WOOT X2!!!!

I have two more of these white LEDs that fits snug in the 4Runner light ring that I don't need so if anyone needs one PM me (you will still need resistors if you do this mod) otherwise I'll just keep them as backup. I'll sell them at $5 each shipped first class anywhere in the USA.

White LED ignition ring all wired up in all it's glory:
Old 04-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #22
DC TRD MallRunner
Taco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
Taco Man in HD's Tacoma Gallery
^looks great! mine is on it's way.

did you dremel the existing black plastic ring around your ignition to fit with the light or does it replace the black plastic part?
Old 04-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #23
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Man in HD View Post
^looks great! mine is on it's way.

did you dremel the existing black plastic ring around your ignition to fit with the light or does it replace the black plastic part?
I used a black plastic surround off an old 3rd gen 4runner limited. The existing black surround of the taco will not fit, the surround is to large/hole is to small.

You could probably dremel the existing surround to make the ring fit but not sure how well that would look, unless you have really good dremel skills (mine suck). A detailed install of how I put it all together here.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #24
SteveFaust is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
SteveFaust's Tacoma Gallery
Okay my electrical engineering skills aren't up to par -- what do the resistors do re the LED bulb?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #25

I picked up one of these from a '99 4Runner thinking it would fit my '95 Tacoma but hole too small to fit over my ignition. CRAP!!
This one also has the ACC / IGN, labels on the black outer ring of the light ring and my truck has these on the metal ignition.
Any idea what other vehicles/models/yrs I could look for that would fit? I see Camry ones regularly but never an actual Tacoma one.

BigOly do you have fully lit picture (not in the dark) showing final fit?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #26

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFaust View Post
Okay my electrical engineering skills aren't up to par -- what do the resistors do re the LED bulb?
Since you have an earlier first gen (>01) you probably are lucky and will not need any resistors. The LED problem seems to stem with the latter 01-04s.

I would first try swapping out the incandescent bulb to LED and test it out before purchasing resistors. I have one of the latest 1st gen tacos that requires resistors otherwise I get a lower weak flicker on my LEDs. A more technical description of this issue can be found in this long thread.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #27

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I picked up one of these from a '99 4Runner thinking it would fit my '95 Tacoma but hole too small to fit over my ignition. CRAP!!
This one also has the ACC / IGN, labels on the black outer ring of the light ring and my truck has these on the metal ignition.
Any idea what other vehicles/models/yrs I could look for that would fit? I see Camry ones regularly but never an actual Tacoma one.
Interesting...that sucks, I didn't know they had different variations of light rings between the 3rd gen 4runners but I wouldn't be surprised. My parts were pulled off a 2000 4runner limited. I think I have a closeup pic handy...if not I'll take a pic today and post it here.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #28

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
BigOly do you have fully lit picture (nor in the dark) showing final fit?
Here ya go :

More detailed pics are on my build here.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #29
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
cool to know... but I prefer it green

'cause green means go

the white light looks like it could be harsh on the eyes...
probably visualized from orbit

what's the oem bulb size ? 194, 164 ?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #30

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
cool to know... but I prefer it green

'cause green means go

the white light looks like it could be harsh on the eyes...
probably visualized from orbit

what's the oem bulb size ? 194, 164 ?
Ya, I'm still 50/50 between white and green. The ring light stays on only till I start the engine. Also it's really not as bright as looks in the pic. The night shot I took makes it look brighter then it really is. The plastic ring diffuses most of the brightness.

The oem bulb size for the ring light is #74.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOly View Post
Here ya go :

Thanks BigOly. Yours looks like the Camry one I was watching. There was a Camry one like yours and a 1999 4Runner one I was about to pull the trigger on the Camry one and thought, "well the 4runner one must be correct as it's the same platform" ... NOT. I'll be measuring the inside hole diameter now and start the hunt over again. If anyone needs an ignition light ring for a 1999 4Runner Limited I have one for $20

I'm thinking that my Gen1 (1995.5) Tacoma might have a different ignition switch -- can you tell me the diameter of the ignition switch bezel (the metal part that says, "Lock ACC ON Start""?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #33
DC TRD MallRunner
Taco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
Taco Man in HD's Tacoma Gallery
The light ring that I got was from an 02 4runner and it fits perfectly over my 04 ignition.

I already have it installed and wired, and I am just waiting on the #74 amber led and the black bezel piece to get delivered.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #34

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Man in HD View Post
The light ring that I got was from an 02 4runner and it fits perfectly over my 04 ignition.

I already have it installed and wired, and I am just waiting on the #74 amber led and the black bezel piece to get delivered.
Very nice! If you get a chance, hang up a snap shot of the orange when you get it plugged in. If it's an orange LED, remember that since you have a later model '04 like mine, you may need a couple of resistors in order to get the LED to work, but go ahead and try it without buying resistors first.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #35

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm thinking that my Gen1 (1995.5) Tacoma might have a different ignition switch -- can you tell me the diameter of the ignition switch bezel (the metal part that says, "Lock ACC ON Start""?
Diameter is just a little over an inch-
Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #36
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOly View Post
Since you have an earlier first gen (>01) you probably are lucky and will not need any resistors. The LED problem seems to stem with the latter 01-04s.

I would first try swapping out the incandescent bulb to LED and test it out before purchasing resistors. I have one of the latest 1st gen tacos that requires resistors otherwise I get a lower weak flicker on my LEDs. A more technical description of this issue can be found in this long thread.
Is this why when I put LEDs in my dome light they just started flashing or go really dim?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #37

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard1992 View Post
Is this why when I put LEDs in my dome light they just started flashing or go really dim?
I'm pretty sure that's the reason why. Hit your local ratshack and grab a couple of resistors and that should fix your problem.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #38
synth505 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
synth505's Tacoma Gallery
This would be a cool mod... I've been searching high and low for one of these light rings and the black bezel for it. Only light rings I can find are off a 02 camry and a 03 tundra. Do you guys think the tundra ring would fit?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth505 View Post
This would be a cool mod... I've been searching high and low for one of these light rings and the black bezel for it. Only light rings I can find are off a 02 camry and a 03 tundra. Do you guys think the tundra ring would fit?
snyth505 -- I picked up one advertised as from a 1999 4Runner thinking it would fit my 1995.5 Tacoma but it doesn't. If you're interested I'd send it to you for $20 + the cost of shipping

I'll measure the inside diameter of the light ring and post it.
What's the outside diameter of the metal on your ignition switch?
Attached Thumbnails
Ignition Light Ring Mod help!!-1999-4runner-limited-light-ring-d.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #40
synth505 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
synth505's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
snyth505 -- I picked up one advertised as from a 1999 4Runner thinking it would fit my 1995.5 Tacoma but it doesn't. If you're interested I'd send it to you for $20 + the cost of shipping

I'll measure the inside diameter of the light ring and post it.
What's the outside diameter of the metal on your ignition switch?
Looks like the face of the lock cylinder measures right around 1 1/4 inch. The diameter for the black bezel is around 2 1/4 inch. I think the problem is the bezel.