Notices

Ignition Light Ring Mod help!!

Old 05-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #41
SteveFaust is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
SteveFaust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by synth505 View Post
Looks like the face of the lock cylinder measures right around 1 1/4 inch. The diameter for the black bezel is around 2 1/4 inch. I think the problem is the bezel.

Crud, forgot to measure out the one I have, sorry about that...
...got caught up in doing new stereo head unit install until about midnight. I'll measure it tonight when I get home.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #42
synth505 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
synth505's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFaust View Post
Crud, forgot to measure out the one I have, sorry about that...
...got caught up in doing new stereo head unit install until about midnight. I'll measure it tonight when I get home.

Heh, thats funny.. my new head unit comes in Friday. I hate to get off topic but what head unit did you go with? I got the Kenwood ddx470. Technically thats why im trying to do the ring mod now. I only want to disassemble the dash once to change out all the lights with red leds. Already did the gauge cluster.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #44

Quote:
Heh, thats funny.. my new head unit comes in Friday. I hate to get off topic but what head unit did you go with? I got the Kenwood ddx470. Technically thats why im trying to do the ring mod now. I only want to disassemble the dash once to change out all the lights with red leds. Already did the gauge cluster.
SQUIRREL... I went with the Alpine CDE-147BT (wanted phone connection and charging via remote USB). The 143 also good, it has USB on front of unit instead of rear with cable. Can also save $ if you don't need CD and go with a digital media unit with no CD. That Kenwood looks like a solid unit!!

This is suppose to be my weekender beat around task truck so hard pressed to go all out on the system. My wife thinks I've spent too much on it already (and that's just the stuff she knows about).
Attached Thumbnails
Ignition Light Ring Mod help!!-09-alpine-cde-147bt-head-unit.jpg   Ignition Light Ring Mod help!!-10-alpine-cde-147bt-installed.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #45

... and now back to our regularly scheduled thread...
Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #46

Quote:
(Hey hey.. not yet) Yea me and you both... I regularly take heat from the wife about upgrades to the truck but I weaseled this one in some how. Nice alpine deck! I notice that alpine has a usb cable (does it have a rear port too??) and I'm trying to research how to drill and install the 3.5 mm jack and usb in the dash trim but I need some sort of jack bezel to retain the jack in the trim. I suppose I could stop being noobish and use the handy search feature here. I'm pretty sure someone has done this.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #47

Quote:
(Hey hey.. not yet) Yea me and you both... I regularly take heat from the wife about upgrades to the truck but I weaseled this one in some how. Nice alpine deck! I notice that alpine has a usb cable (does it have a rear port too??) and I'm trying to research how to drill and install the 3.5 mm jack and usb in the dash trim but I need some sort of jack bezel to retain the jack in the trim. I suppose I could stop being noobish and use the handy search feature here. I'm pretty sure someone has done this.
Yes, it has from AUX mini jack on front of the unit and the USB is rear. Ran the included USB extension cable out to the base of the center console shifter bezel area for now (see black cable end in pic) and was also thinking that it would be good to get some type of USB outlet mount to install in console (when I add it later) or side of current bezel. Let me know if you find a good one that will install clean, I haven't yet had a chance to look.
Attached Thumbnails
Ignition Light Ring Mod help!!-11-usb-connection.jpg  
Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #48

Quote:
Measured the outside diameter of the metal on my ignition switch and it's right around 1.25" looks to be the same diameter as your BigOly. The inside diameter of the ignition ring light I got (listed as a 99 4Runner) is at .9" so it aint gonna fit my ignition. Outside diameter on the 4Runner ring light trim is just under 1-1/2". See pics for reference.

BigOly you said you got yours from a 2000 4Runner Limited right? Weird that they'd have different ones but possible I guess (unless mine was listed incorrectly). Anyone know of other years/models that would work, the ones from the 97 era Camry appear to be similar. Guess I'll start looking again and verify the ring diameter. If anyone can use this one let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Ignition Light Ring Mod help!!-1995-tacoma-ignition-od-1.25.jpg   Ignition Light Ring Mod help!!-1999-4runner-limited-light-ring-d.jpg   Ignition Light Ring Mod help!!-1999-4runner-limited-light-ring-e.jpg   Ignition Light Ring Mod help!!-1999-4runner-limited-light-ring-f.jpg  
Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #49

Quote:
Measured the outside diameter of the metal on my ignition switch and it's right around 1.25" looks to be the same diameter as your BigOly. The inside diameter of the ignition ring light I got (listed as a 99 4Runner) is at .9" so it aint gonna fit my ignition. Outside diameter on the 4Runner ring light trim is just under 1-1/2". See pics for reference.

BigOly you said you got yours from a 2000 4Runner Limited right? Weird that they'd have different ones but possible I guess (unless mine was listed incorrectly). Anyone know of other years/models that would work, the ones from the 97 era Camry appear to be similar. Guess I'll start looking again and verify the ring diameter. If anyone can use this one let me know.

Thanks for checking anyway.
.... The hunt continues...
Old 05-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #50

Quote:
SQUIRREL... I went with the Alpine CDE-147BT (wanted phone connection and charging via remote USB). The 143 also good, it has USB on front of unit instead of rear with cable. Can also save $ if you don't need CD and go with a digital media unit with no CD. That Kenwood looks like a solid unit!!

This is suppose to be my weekender beat around task truck so hard pressed to go all out on the system. My wife thinks I've spent too much on it already (and that's just the stuff she knows about).

BTW.. where you mounting your mic?? Im trying to route mine up the driver side A pillar and tuck it underneath the head liner just past the edge of the sun visor next to the rear view mirror. Mic is a little loose though... trying to find a way to snug fit it so it doesn't move.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #51
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

BigOly you said you got yours from a 2000 4Runner Limited right?
I'm pretty sure the light ring I have was pulled out of a 2000 4Runner limited unless the junkyard folks I purchased it from mislabeled it. Mine also came with the wire harness for the light bulb wich was a bonus. I actually owned a 2000 4runner limited in the past and remembered the woodgrain housing and a black plastic surround with the words "toyota security system" on it. I would think the 1999 limited would be similar since that was the year Toyota made a slight change in some of the interior parts (also a fat front lip to the exterior) of the 4Runner 3rd gen 1999-2002 but I'm not sure. Off the top of my head, one of the major changes was the relocation of the cup holders. Interestingly enough, when I gave tacomanHD the heads up on an 2002 4runner ring light that he purchased off eBay, he said it fit in his taco. I really hope you guys eventually find one that fits, It's a nice little retrofit.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #52

Quote:
BTW.. where you mounting your mic?? Im trying to route mine up the driver side A pillar and tuck it underneath the head liner just past the edge of the sun visor next to the rear view mirror. Mic is a little loose though... trying to find a way to snug fit it so it doesn't move.
Was going to route up Driver's side A pillar but the frick'in screws are so tight I could barely budge them and was afraid I was going to strip out the heads...switched to the passenger side which actually made it easy as no behind the dash stuff to deal with. Dropped out the glove box and ran the mic wire along the antenna wire to the right corner and then poked it up between dash and q pillar cover. Was then able to pop into the a-pillar cover w/o even taking it off. Drapped over the pass side visor and clipped there for now as I am going to put a mounting plat in the homelink above mirror and plan to attach mic as well.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #53
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone is interested I have one for sale here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...-mesh-etc.html
Old 05-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...-mesh-etc.html
Hey Yamaha, you wouldn't happen to have the black bezel ring that goes around it would you? Mine is too small of a diameter to fit. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 AM   #55

Quote:
Was going to route up Driver's side A pillar but the frick'in screws are so tight I could barely budge them and was afraid I was going to strip out the heads...switched to the passenger side which actually made it easy as no behind the dash stuff to deal with. Dropped out the glove box and ran the mic wire along the antenna wire to the right corner and then poked it up between dash and q pillar cover. Was then able to pop into the a-pillar cover w/o even taking it off. Drapped over the pass side visor and clipped there for now as I am going to put a mounting plat in the homelink above mirror and plan to attach mic as well.
Yeah I had to use a 8mm socket wrench to loosen the driver side A pillar. I just ran it last night. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Ended up hot gluing the mic bracket to the inside of the dome light cover. I would be interested in seeing how you mount it. Although your dome light cover may be slightly different than mine.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
Crap, missed it, Stupid holiday weekend distracted me . Thanks anyway Dave. ...still looking.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #57
Hillbilly 2nd class
valleyboy is on a distinguished road

valleyboy's Tacoma Gallery
This thread is kind of old but I found that an ignition cylinder light from a 93 MR2 that fit my 95 Tacoma. Always wanted one ever since I saw it on my buddy's Celica ignition!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #58
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyboy View Post
This thread is kind of old but I found that an ignition cylinder light from a 93 MR2 that fit my 95 Tacoma. Always wanted one ever since I saw it on my buddy's Celica ignition!
i still wanna do this mod. i see one now on ebay from a mr2 that's $13 after shipping and a camry one that's $19 free shipping. i know the camry will work since many people seem to use those. i wonder if it's worth risking the mr2 not working on my 03 just to save 6 bucks
Old 04-11-2014, 05:28 AM   #59
Hillbilly 2nd class
valleyboy is on a distinguished road

valleyboy's Tacoma Gallery
There's an old pearl that says "let the buyer beware" But as far as that goes if the diameter of your ignition cylinder is 1-1/4 inch then all should be good as my 95 Taco & your 03 are the same generation vehicle
Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 AM   #60
jawatkins is on a distinguished road
Marines:
jawatkins's Tacoma Gallery
NEED SOME HELP

I am new to the site, and have done some of the great upgrades to my 2003 prerunner and thought the ingnition ring light would be a great addition. However now I need some more knowledge on this subject.

I read the post about installing the lighted ring for the ignition. I tried doing this the other day and now I can't get the dome light to work the way is used to.

I have found the connections for the dome light and can see the Black, Black w/white and Green w/white wires. Ran a splice from the hot and ground to the light connection wires and couldn't get the light to function right. I got power to the ignition ring but it stayed on, wouldn't go out. So I disconnected all the wires and now the dome only comes on when I unlock the door and goes out as soon as I open the door. No more dimming to off like it used to do.

I have checked all the fuses and they are good. Thought I might have burned out the dome bulb, but it still comes on it I switch it to ON, and it lights up when I unlock the truck.

Right now I am back to square one, all connections are removed and all fuses are good.

Any help would be great, I have everything installed, just need to figure out the wiring.

Thanks,

Jim