Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ignition Light Ring Mod help!!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
KerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud of
Name: Jared
KerlyQ's Tacoma Gallery
Ignition Light Ring Mod help!!

Hi everyone. I picked up an ignition ring light from a 98 tacoma from the wreckers a few days ago and I have been trying to wire it into my 02 Tacoma but Im having some difficulty. I have read several threads but they are less than specific or I have just not found the right ones (And I have searched like crazy) I was hoping some one could point me in the right direction as to where to wire the light. I want to wire it in so that it lights up along with the dome light when the door opens, and when the door unlocks, and then turns off when I turn the ignition on. Just like how the courtesy light works. As of right now its wired into the black wire in the "A" pillar and grounded into the frame....which is just keeping the light on at all times. Please forgive me for being part retarded but is anyone familiar with this and can give me a hand here?....Im about to lose my shi# because ive been at this all day and its snowing outside and im freezing......any and all help will be appreciated!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
KerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud of
KerlyQ's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I think I figured it out. I have to use the same ground as the courtesy lights rather than the frame as a ground. Ill try that...I think its a black wire with a white stripe...I just have to find it. If im wrong...Ill let you guys know if I blow anything up.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
i been searching for info on this as well as for the actual ring light with no luck on finding the light. i have found some info, but its not much. i've heard of people using the wiring from the clock panel. my 99 has no clock, but i noticed it had the wiring and harness for the clock plugged into the panel, when i did my red LED dash lites. keep us posted and goodluck. i need to find one of these ring lites, also interested in ashtray, glove box, and console lites.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
Sub'd for a cool idea.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

any updates OP?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
KerlyQ's Tacoma Gallery
Ok I was right!! Works like a charm. Looks great too. Except its green...for now. All I did was use the black wire for power (there is only one in the "A" Pillar which is a constant 12v power) and used the Black one with a white stripe as the ground. I spliced into them both at about half way up and ran them down the "A" pillar then under the steering column right into the Ignition ring. There are only four wires in there. 1 black (power), 1 black with white stripe (ground), 1 green with white stripe (power for third brake light) and 1 white with black stripe (ground for third brake light). Also, Im not sure why but there is a coaxial cable in there too but mines cut at the top and cut at the bottom of the A pillar so I have no idea where it went to or where it came from..its only about 2/12 ft long so if anyone has a clue what it was for please let me know as I'm very curious. Anyways there you go. Go get a ring from the wreckers. Oh and one more thing. If you find one, make sure you grab the little black plastic ignition ring cover as the your current one wont fit over the light ring.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
KerlyQ's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
i been searching for info on this as well as for the actual ring light with no luck on finding the light. i have found some info, but its not much. i've heard of people using the wiring from the clock panel. my 99 has no clock, but i noticed it had the wiring and harness for the clock plugged into the panel, when i did my red LED dash lites. keep us posted and goodluck. i need to find one of these ring lites, also interested in ashtray, glove box, and console lites.

Yea I read a few threads where some guys have used the clock power as a source to light the ring but I wanted it to function the way it was intended. I wouldnt want it on all the time myself but thats just my preference. FYI, if you get a ring from a 98 or older, the actual light rings wires are a red with green stripe (ground) and a blue with yellow stripe which was the power. So just match the red/g to the blk/w and the blue/y to the black..I know its not the most detailed explanation but it will work for any 01-04 tacoma. Hmmm the glove box and console lights are a good idea. maybe Ill try that next.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

pix????
Old 02-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
KerlyQ's Tacoma Gallery
No pix sry, I should have taken some pix I suppose huh?! I plan on going back into my dash and "A" Pillar to add more lights in the very near future. I will do a picture tutorial of how to install the light ring while I'm in there if everyone wants me too.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerlyQ View Post
No pix sry, I should have taken some pix I suppose huh?! I plan on going back into my dash and "A" Pillar to add more lights in the very near future. I will do a picture tutorial of how to install the light ring while I'm in there if everyone wants me too.
sub'd for pictures. I'd like to see this
Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerlyQ View Post
that would be dope man
Old 04-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
I've got all the parts and planning to get this done. Very good info OP! If anyone else has already done this and has pics to show where to tap that would be great
Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
KerlyQ, you are the man! I just got this mod done and lovin it!

Instead of taking the A piller panel out (I hate doing this), I crawled underneath behind the fuse box and found those wires you were talking about. On my 04 Double cab I found a wire harness that was wrapped in gray foam like material.

Just like you said, Black is positive, black with white stripe is negative.

I tapped into those wires and the ring lights up and dims just like the dome light! This should have been standard on the tacos! I still need to get rid of the green light too and swap it with a natural white LED.

Here's a pic of the wire harness I tapped into:
Old 04-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
DC TRD MallRunner
Taco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
Taco Man in HD's Tacoma Gallery
funny that I found this thread because I was just looking at the light ring in our landcruiser and realized I wanted one in my tacoma.

anyone find a place that sells them online other than ebay? I've searched partsgeek, but no luck.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
AhviFree is on a distinguished road
AhviFree's Tacoma Gallery
I grabbed one for a 97 Camry on Ebay for 6 bucks...fits fine after a small but of dremeling
Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #16
DC TRD MallRunner
Taco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
Taco Man in HD's Tacoma Gallery
I finally found one from a 4runner on eBay from a tip from BigOly.

Have you guys replaced the bulb with an led or just leave the stock green-covered bulb in there?

I'm going to try and track down the led size for a white led color.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
If you pull the bulb out from the ring, use your fingernails and you can peel off the green covering and underneath will be a "soft white" LED bulb. If you want a different color though or more of a "pure white," than custommleds.com has that bulb size.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #18

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Man in HD View Post
I finally found one from a 4runner on eBay from a tip from BigOly.

Have you guys replaced the bulb with an led or just leave the stock green-covered bulb in there?

I'm going to try and track down the led size for a white led color.
Nice! I still havent attempted to swap out the stock bulb with an LED yet (I plan to swap it with a white LED as well), but I'm pretty sure it may need a couple of 1w 100ohm resistors due to the fact that the wires we tapped into go directly to the dome light. I have read that people with 01-04 tacos have reported having issues when installing LEDs in the dome light and a couple of resistors fixed the problem.

I'll report back once I attempt to change the stock green bulb (currently working) with an LED and if it needs resistors. I think the stock bulb is a #74 when I was fiddling with it but you may want to double check.

I did noticed one side effect with this mod, when tapping into the dome light wires, when the dome light is switched to off, the stock green bulb starts to blink for some weird reason. I wonder if OP or anyone else has notice this? It only happens when the dome light is switched to off. If the dome light is in the "on" or "door" position, the ring light is normal so it's not a deal breaker for me.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #19

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
If you pull the bulb out from the ring, use your fingernails and you can peel off the green covering and underneath will be a "soft white" LED bulb. If you want a different color though or more of a "pure white," than custommleds.com has that bulb size.
Good idea, but correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you meant incandescent, not LED when you peel off the green rubber. I did try this, out of curiosity, and the color is a bit of a dirty white, I prefer a natural clean white that a LED produces.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
^Yes sorry lol I'm even positive if LEDs were around pre-2003 lol.