1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP!!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 04Tacomabuild, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Jan 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    04Tacomabuild

04Tacomabuild [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reese
    Kenora, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma TRD SR5 3.4l V6
    Toytec/Billistein coilovers, allpro leafs, OME greasable shackles, allpro ubolt flip kit, Billistein 5100's in rear.
    So the other day i was moving all my switches from below my radio to where my clock was, then all my lights started going kinda screwy. So i left it until i got home from work, then i was working on them they started randomly working then as soon as i flipped on my hellas that are hids theyd all die, so i disconnexted the hellas from the truck, same thing, then all the lights started flickering in sync (dome light, led bar) and so i stopped and charged my battery assuming that was the problem, seemed to fix it. So this morning, i go outside to start my truck to go to work, it starts, but nothing works, lights inside come on but my power windows dont work or anything, so i check the 10a gauge fuse under the dash that i had trouble with last time, its fine, they all were fine. So i check in the engine bay and my am1 fuse is blown. i replace it, try start the engine again and it blows, so i leave it and go to work. Tonight, i pulled every damn wire i put in that truck out, all my lights everything, replace am1 fuse, and put key in the ignition, turn it to ACC, things seem to be working! Turn it to try start the engine, click, dead, everything. No fuses blown. Disconnect and re connect battery, click, nothing. What the f**k is wrong?! IM running out of ideas and getting scared here... Sorry for the long post but wanted everyone to know the whole story, if anyone can offer any advice at all it would be helpful.... Im running to candian tire in a minute to get a new battery to see if thats the problem... thanks guys.

Reese

2. Jan 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Try repeatedly try to start it. Maybe the starter isn't making connection? They usually just click when the plunger is wore out but will sometimes eventually make a connection. Or tap on the starter with a wrench or something.

Don't get a battery yet imo.

3. Jan 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    04Tacomabuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Reese
    Kenora, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Toytec/Billistein coilovers, allpro leafs, OME greasable shackles, allpro ubolt flip kit, Billistein 5100's in rear.
    It just clicks once then everything inside goes dead and i have to disconnect then re connect the battery for it to do anything again, its on warrenty so i want to try the battery.. after trying to start it once nothing will happen again.

4. Jan 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    1) You had some wiring wrong.

2) It sounds as if your incorrect wiring killed one or more banks in your battery. Try a new battery.

I had the 5 pole relay for my KC lights short one of the output poles and it killed my battery dead as a hammer.

5. Jan 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Oh okay. Yeah get the battery thenb.

6. Jan 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Agree w/the previous post--had somthing wrong.
    Drained the battery and or caused a bad cell.
    FIRST make sure both the POS and NEG posts are clean and have good connections. The one click from the starter is an indication that there is NOT enough POWER from the BATTERY.
    If you have a helper and a volt meter--Have someone check the voltage when you try to start --That should tell you what is happening.. BE SURE to check on the cables for your voltage =NOT the battery post. That will indicate the voltage that is going to the starter.. Use the GROUND at the battery-not the FRAME--you could get a false reading.
    ADDED NOTE--BATTERY or connections--FIRST
    Keep us posted.
    TRY the SIMPLE STUFF FIRST-BATTERY

7. Jan 30, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    04Tacomabuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Reese
    Kenora, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    That's what I was thinking happened, hopefully this solves the problem, I was freaking out for a while wondering what I got myself Into!

8. Jan 30, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    04Tacomabuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Reese
    Kenora, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    THANK YOU! I will try that right away. If not I will be going to grab a battery! I tried charging it a few times but seems to die quickly so I think I screwed something. I will let you know!

9. Jan 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    04Tacomabuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Reese
    Kenora, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    New battery and she runs! Thanks alot guys! Took a big load off my shoulders :)

10. Jan 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Same thing was happening to me. It turned out to be a loose battery terminal. Glad you got it fixed!

Products Discussed in

To Top