i have a tire decision to make and need some help guys

View Poll Results: Which one should get please help
General Grabbers red labels 43 31.85%
Toyo Open Country M/T 58 42.96%
Other 34 25.19%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #41
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my opinion.....take it or leave it.

General Grabbers are definitely a good looking tire, but are heavy and are consistently not good in anything but sand.

Toyo MT's are also a "looker" tire that is CRAZY HEAVY.

I wouldn't get either of those.

Goodyear Duratracs are great in the snow, but rarely go past 30K miles from what I've seen, and have weak sidewalls. I also think they are hatchet wound ugly.

BFG KM2's are a good tire, not great in snow unless you have them siped. Great in all terrain and I had 40K on the set I just took off my truck and there is still 60% tread left. Great tire IMO.

MT/R w Kevlar. Little more aggressive and heavier than the KM2 but not bad. Not great on ice/snow. Great in the rocks with strong sidewalls. Rarely I'll hear experience like BFoster133 posted where the tires wore out fast or had blown sidewalls. Personally I think the fast wear is because how the tires are being used, i.e. low pressure over fast terrain, lots of wheel spin in the dirt etc. And the blown sidewalls are just unlucky and would happen with any tire. Even looking at BFoster133's sidewall gash you can tell it was a sharp rock or something that hit it to create a relatively clean gash.

So. General Grabbers - I would not buy them
Toyo MT - Definitely would not buy them
Goodyear Duratracs - You couldn't pay me enough
BFG KM2 - Yep I'd run em. I have and probably will again.
Goodyear MTR Kevlar - running them now. So far so good and really liking them.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #42
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I would also consider the following tires

Nitto Trail Grappler MT
Hankook MT
Maxis Bighorn
Old 02-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #43
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Bfg A/T Ko is all I run on both trucks.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #44
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
Bfg A/T Ko is all I run on both trucks.
Also a great tire and very underestimated. I'm on my 3rd set on my Land Cruiser. Love them, but it sounded like the OP was after something a bit more aggressive.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #45
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Nitto mud grapplers are great on rock an sand. Killer in the mud but suck on the road. They are loud!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #46
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Also a great tire and very underestimated. I'm on my 3rd set on my Land Cruiser. Love them, but it sounded like the OP was after something a bit more aggressive.
Looks awesome man!

I like the looks over the KM2, the tread life, highway ride and price puts it in the #1 for me.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #47
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Hankooks FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
I would also consider the following tires

Nitto Trail Grappler MT
Hankook MT
Maxis Bighorn
the RT03 is as good, possibly better and with a lower buy in cost

FTMFW !
Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #48
No Rangers Here is on a distinguished road

Army: Apache helicopter repairman 15R
Name: jordan
No Rangers Here's Tacoma Gallery
okay have any of you guys ran baja t/a tires ? what are your thoughts
Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #49
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Rangers Here View Post
cost a shit ton, but they're definitely race proven.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #50
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
^ THIS.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #51
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Rangers Here View Post
Total waste IMO on anything but a race truck. Way too expensive for the average truck when there are much cheaper options out there with equal performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
X2
Old 02-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #52
They call me Greekbro
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
Toyo open country at2 is a tire I would totally run.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #53
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEKBOY12295 View Post
Toyo open country at2 is a tire I would totally run.
Proud to say one of our premium tires too
Old 02-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #54

okay thanks guys
Old 02-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #55
BigTaco508 is on a distinguished road
BigTaco508's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Toyo M/Ts and they ride really well for a Mud Terrain Tire
Old 02-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #56
DAMOS is on a distinguished road

DAMOS's Tacoma Gallery
I have toyo mts. Way too heavy and hard. They do not belong on a Tacoma.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #57

lets say i only go in mud 5 or 6 time a year and nothing to deep and im more of a high speed dirt trails kinda guy which would be the best for control in the high-speed turns other words which tire has more grip in the dirt?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #58
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I have cooper ATPs on my tahoe and they grip plenty well, even at full PSI load range E on both dirt and what little mud I go in. Here's a pic, 285/75/16

Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #59
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Of course Grabbers are gonna suck in mud. Its not a mud tire...

With that said, between those two and the type of off-roading you do, I would go with the grabbers. The Toyo's are heavy and won't last as long. Plenty of other great choices out there, though.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #60

okay was just about to ask how the grabbers did in the mud plus they look so mean i love it