1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rims/tires question for 98 2wd xtracab V6

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Vibarama, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Jan 31, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    Vibarama

Vibarama [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lisa
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    98 2WD V6 Extra Cab SR5
    Chrome wheel well trim, chrome side mirrors, pop up sunroof, pw, power back window!, fog lights, black toyota bumper, camper top with roof rack, running boards, window tint, etc, lots of fun stuff
    Hi,
    I want to upgrade my 98 2wd extra cab V6 from the 14" rims/tires (215/70/R14) I got it with to a bit bigger tires and rims. it has 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern and I have found online that it has a 60.1 center bore and needs a 20-45 offset.

I got a great deal on some BF Goodrich 225/75/R15's almost new, so I would love to use them, but no one seems to know if they would rub or not.

I like these rims: kinda retro looking.
    Ultra Wheels 50/51 machined with clear coat, they come 15 x 7 or 8.
    they have a 19" offset. one company said they would work fine, another that they would not work.

Does anyone know if they would work together or where I can find that answer?
    Any advice on getting bigger tires without a lift would be appreciated.
    I'm finding that there are not a lot of rims I like for a 2wd.

I dont think I would have any trouble selling the tires I bought if they are too big, but they are nice:)

Thanks,

Lisa
    PS I love driving my Truck and put in a Pioneer radio/XM/Bluetooth with new speakers. Love it!

2. Feb 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    joyotaco

joyotaco Tenderfoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4L 2wd
    Removable ladder/sailboat rack, Pioneer DEH-6400BT, clear bumper signals
    Hey, just as an FYI, I would't trust that 60.1 hub bore you found on the interwebs. Here's why, I took my own measurements and came up with 67.1mm hubs. Plus, I own a Rav4 which does actually have a 60.1mm hub bore and its wheels don't fit my truck.

225/75r15s are gonna rub, no question in my mind about that, but I had oversized tires that rubbed on my old Dodge Dakota for 9 years and never had any problems. I just couldn't turn the steering wheel completely to either side.

I'll hit you back about the mustang wheels tomorrow.

Edit: I said what I said above assuming your wheels would be approximately the same high positive offset of +40mm, but now that I've seen the pics of your truck, I'm second guessing. Your wheels look to have a wider stance, so that tire size might be ok. The first thing they'd likely rub against is the front stabilizer bar.

3. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    Vibarama

Vibarama [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lisa
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    98 2WD V6 Extra Cab SR5
    Chrome wheel well trim, chrome side mirrors, pop up sunroof, pw, power back window!, fog lights, black toyota bumper, camper top with roof rack, running boards, window tint, etc, lots of fun stuff
    Thanks Ken,
    Thats good toknow, Ihad measured like you did and was pretty sure it was 2.75 inches for the center hole! Crazythat noone knows this stuff, even OEM dealers online give the incorrect info, even showing 6 bolt rims that supposedly go with pur trucks.
    The offset I saw was 20-45, im still notquitesure what that, measurement is.!

Thanks
    Lisa

Products Discussed in

To Top