1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do Bilstein 5100's generate any lift?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TheYO13, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Feb 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    kbauman92

kbauman92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    North Bend
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma ext cab
    King 2.5x6 RR coilovers eibach coils Light Racing UCA Spidertrax spacers Fiberwerx fenders
    do what everyone else is saying, i have 5100's up front with eibach/toytec coils and it gave me 3 inches of lift, the picture in my sig is those and a AAL in the rear

2. Feb 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    Devout

Devout Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD 4X4
    None yet

Not a jack. This is a suspension thread and the more participation, the better. :)

Here's the deal; After 135k the stock shocks were maybe at 20% of original damping. They were so weak that they seemed non existant. Shoving the rear bumper with your hands felt like a bouncy passenger car. Driving over a small speedbump in a parking lot made the truck roll and hit the bumpstops. I was worried about cycling the snot out of my springs it was so bad.

I would have loved to bounce the rear with the AAL's and no shocks to compare, but I was more interested in getting the job done, so I had the new Bilstien 5100's on when the rubber touched down.

Now that the AAL's and 5100's are on, the rear feels like it should; First few inches are plush and then it begins to give resistance. Same for the front, first few and then it gets tougher.

I totally agree with you on the 881's; On a vehicle with no winch or bumper, they are plenty. I'm not dissapointed with how stiff they are, but if I could had gone a little softer, it would have been just fine. The rear of any vehicle should always be stiffer than the front, so with the 500# coils, this decreases the difference between the front and the back.

Haven't hit anything big yet, but I will strictly for testing purposes.

So far, the ride is smooth but firm, exactly what I expected from a shim stack gas charged monotube that has digressive valving. I'm VERY pleased. All my motorcycles have zoot suspensions on them and I'm spoiled. :cool:

3. Feb 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    Devout

Devout Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD 4X4
    None yet

I think you'd be quite happy with the 881's on the lowest shock ring. :D

4. Feb 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    Motorcyclist are spoiled when it comes to shocks haha. Trying to get KW V3 on the other ride, have Tein Flex right now... their valving... you get what you pay for I guess.

I was sold on the 881s, but if the 880s are softer, I will be giving those a good strong look. Combine that with "OMDs" rear spring treatment, and I'm hoping to get about 2-2.5" of lift and a more compliant ride than stock.

I have 5125s on the back now being OE ride height. I hate them, absolutely hate them. OE coils and 5100s front have been riding pretty nice.

5. Feb 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    Devout

Devout Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD 4X4
    None yet

Haha! "The best you know is the best you've rode."

Not to be a 'name dropper' but I've got a Penske and an Ohlin. :p

880's are shorter, but still a 500 pound spring. Maybe less preload will make them feel softer, not sure. Call Wheelers, they know for sure.

What about your 5125's do you hate? I have the 5100's from Downsouth and I'm loving them.

6. Feb 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    I may forever regret missing a sale of some used Moton coilovers from a race car (IS300) in Canada- at the time I thought it was too extreme for a street car... turns out they rode great on the street when the new owner did a write up on them. Gosh darn IS-F guys have a Penske option. But I think the KW V3 will be a good fit for a street car that sees autox and willow springs once in a blue moon.

If the 880 and 881 have the same spring rate, then the 881s sound good to go.

I got my 5100 front, 5125 rear from Downsouth as well. The 5100s they use have had their valving specified for our trucks according to the website (I forget by who). The 5125s from them must be the "universal" valving. They feel like they are valved for waaay softer springs than the OEs. They resist compression something terrible then let the OE leaf springs rebound so badly it feels like it wants to kick out. Had a scary moment or two on the freeway just cruising a long with traffic, yet a lone simply how much it bugs me driving around town being a suspension freak from my sport compact days (one of the reasons its been hard to leave the Flexs is the EDFC I love playing with). I wouldn't mind stiff compression as much if the rebound was equally as aggressive. It feels ass backwards valving wise.

I should have just "risked it" and ran the 5100s at stock ride height in the rear as I never bottom out anyhow. Lessons learned and hopefully putting it here saves others.

7. Mar 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    Devout

Devout Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD 4X4
    None yet

Super happy.

The large style speedbumps get soaked up nicely, with the truck regaining balance in less than one cycle. I think I understand the digressive valving now; May bump a little on the small stuff, but it keeps the chassis flat and stable in turns and on changing angle surfaces. Hit something bigger and they soak it up smooth.

Once again, super happy with my setup. :D

8. Mar 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM
    dentaco76247

dentaco76247 Registered Mud Abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Justin, TX
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma xtra cab 4x4
    4Runner bucket seats, Upgraded headlights Blistein 5100s Blacked out Grille
    Therefore they can cause amplified axle wrap.
    I installed 5100s all around and a 1" shackle in the back. Front set at 1.75. with the new shocks it generated about 2" lift up front and 1" in rear.

9. Mar 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    License2Ill

License2Ill Woke like a Coma Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    It's a dry heat thou, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2004 SC'd 5VZ DC 5spd 4x4 TRD.GOV
    Bailing wire & Duct tape
    883's are for first gens. 883's are like 20mm shorter and higher spring rate then 882's.

Products Discussed in

To Top