Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

MAF Sensor Cleaning..

Old 02-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
eric70412 is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
eric70412's Tacoma Gallery
MAF Sensor Cleaning..

I think I might be having a problem with my Mass Air Flow sensor. I had saw someone write somewhere in here that they clean their MAF Sensor when their truck does'nt wanna start when hot.

Can anyone tell me in these pics if that is the MAF sensor?? Is it hard to remove? How do you clean it? And how much does a new one cost if this one is bad?

I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me. I am having problems starting my truck sometimes when the truck is hot. I havent replaced the spark plugs yet. I am gonna try that b4 I try to do the MAF..

See jpg. images below.. Thank you..
Attached Thumbnails
MAF Sensor Cleaning..-maf.jpg   MAF Sensor Cleaning..-maf2.jpg   MAF Sensor Cleaning..-maf3.jpg  
Old 02-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
yep....thats the sensor. just take out the 2 screws and unhook the connector. when you clean it..............you wanna spray it with some electrical contact cleaner by crc.................and now crc makes a maf spray cleaner. either will work. just spray it.....................DO NOT touch it...let it dry, then plug it back in/replace screws. not too sure on price of a new one.........but they aint cheap.

something else you may wanna look into...............cleaning the iac valve...l.ocated on the bottom of the throttle body. you'll need to remove the tb...........buy tb gaskets and the rubber iac valve gasket...........clean both with seafoam deep creep, then replace. you will notice a good difference.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a write up:

http://4runners.org/writeups/throttle/index.html
Old 02-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
eric70412 is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
eric70412's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks..

Thank you very much for the info. Great job!!
Old 12-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
maf video for v6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qiEdey2IHcc
Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
... Sub'd ... I need to do this at my next oil change ...
Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
DNG is on a distinguished road
DNG's Tacoma Gallery
off topic: what are the symptoms of a dirty MAF?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
lil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant future

Name: Jacen
lil J's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNG View Post
off topic: what are the symptoms of a dirty MAF?
decreased MPG & stuttering and sputtering when accelerating, if it's real bad it will stutter at idle
Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
For my 89' 4runner they were asking $180 for aftermarket. If yteou have a multi meter you can easily test it. I have the procedure for my runner and its pretty simple. You should look into the trouble shooting manual.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Feet in the water...
Silver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Silver02Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Silver02Taco Send a message via AIM to Silver02Taco Send a message via MSN to Silver02Taco Send a message via Yahoo to Silver02Taco
So I bought the CRC MAF Cleaner and the Seafoam Deep Clean whatever sauce, and was going to clean my MAF Sensor... and when attempting to unscrew the MAF Sensor from the intake, I stripped out the Phillips head screw on the top side. *Fawk*

So I went and got a screw extractor kit to help get it out, but can anyone tell me what size these screws are so that when I replace them both I can get the correct size? I'm thinking they're M3 but I'm not sure.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
ailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ailll1's Tacoma Gallery
Make a notch on the heads with a dremel(cutting disc) so that a flathead screwdriver will fit.
Works everytime.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Feet in the water...
Silver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Silver02Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Silver02Taco Send a message via AIM to Silver02Taco Send a message via MSN to Silver02Taco Send a message via Yahoo to Silver02Taco
Turns out the thread is M4 X .7, 8mm long. And I just happened to have 2X of them in a SST Button Head Socket Cap Screw. Now to try and get the stripped one out.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
ScottValleyGirl is on a distinguished road

Name: Dawn Renee
ScottValleyGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Did this work?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
jgilbreath is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
jgilbreath's Tacoma Gallery
I cleaned my MAF sensor with CRC MAF cleaner. I did not notice any differences the first 11 miles of driving afterwards. This morning on the way to work truck was driving normal as usual, then I sat still at a light for about 2 minutes. When light turned green and I accelerated there was a noticeable stutter or hesitation by the engine. I have since driven an additional 4 miles and there continues to be stuttering when accelerating and when sitting still at idle. Does this sound like I need to reclean the MAF or replace it?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
is there a check engine light on? i seriously doubt its the maf if not.... need to get it diagnosed
Old 02-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftoys View Post
is there a check engine light on? i seriously doubt its the maf if not.... need to get it diagnosed
There is not a check engine light on. The stuttering started 11 miles after cleaning the MAF, that's why I thought it was connected, nothing else has been done/changed recently.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
anytime you clean TB, replace TPS, clean IAC, or clean MAF,
replace A/F or O/2

you have to reset the ECU by disco batt for 10 minutes

in fact all these maintenance procedures start by disco batt, which
implies a reset is done...

let the vehicle drop the old program and then reprogram itself
Old 02-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
anytime you clean TB, replace TPS, clean IAC, or clean MAF,
replace A/F or O/2

you have to reset the ECU by disco batt for 10 minutes

in fact all these maintenance procedures start by disco batt, which
implies a reset is done...

let the vehicle drop the old program and then reprogram itself

When cleaning MAF I disconnected battery before, left it disconnected for over 30 min. reconnecting and truck ran normal for first 11 miles, then today ideling and stuttering problems started.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilbreath View Post
When cleaning MAF I disconnected battery before, left it disconnected for over 30 min. reconnecting and truck ran normal for first 11 miles, then today ideling and stuttering problems started.
if ECU was reset, run it at least 200 miles of varied traffic
because it just might be figuring it out, and could settle in...

if afterward still runs poorly, time to deep dive
Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftoys View Post
Correction: A check engine light did come on then turn off a few minutes later on the way home yesterday. When I opened the hood to see what was going on I found that the upper radiator hose was leaking coolant. Would that have anything to do with the stuttering in idle or hesitation when accelerating? Or do I just need to keep driving it so the ECU can reprogram itself after disconnecting battery when cleaning MAF?