1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Scoots, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Feb 7, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    Scoots

Scoots [OP] Member

Member:
    Brownsville, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5 4x4 w/access cab, 4ltr & 6spd manual
    Color matching canopy.
    2 years ago I purchased a used '96 Tacoma 4wd with the 3.4l manual transmission. It wasn't in too bad of shape, but it needed some engine work and a new clutch. I had all of the work done at my NAPA auto shop. I don't have the tools, shop, experience or time to do it myself.

After the clutch was replaced, I always thought something wasn't right. The clutch pedal had good pressure thru the length of its travel, but it was only the last 2"-3" that actually did anything. If you depressed the clutch to shift into a higher gear by the time you had let out the clutch about 2" you were full engaged. I brought the truck back a couple of times to ensure all was well and I was assured that all was well with the clutch.

Now, 1.5 years later, the clutch was completely gone and I had to have another clutch installed; clutch plate, pressure plate, throwout bearing, everything. NAPA picked up the tab for the parts, but I had to pay for the labor.

I don't do any serious 4 wheeling or towing and all of my other Toyotas never had to have a clutch replaced ...... and they all had more than 240K on them when I traded them off. My 2006 Matrix has 107K and is still on the same clutch.

The new clutch has the same pedal activity. You can feel slight pressure when you depress the clutch pedal, it returns quickly as it should, but it's the bottom 2" of the clutch travel where all of the engagement and disengagement takes place.

Is this typical for the 3.4l transmission?

My '91 4Runner with a 3.0l manual had a clutch action that was on par with the rest of my Toyotas.

Is there something going on that my mechanic isn't aware of?
    I don't want to have to replace the clutch again in another 1.5 years.

Thanks for your expertise! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top