Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st gen must have mods

Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
whiteknight10 is on a distinguished road
Name: Britton
whiteknight10's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen must have mods

I'm 15 and new to TW. The site seems awesome. I have a 1998 tacoma 2.4L automatic ext. cab 4x4
I just ordered a deck plate for it after reading some posts on here and plan on doing the mod next weekend (it already has a k&n drop in). As soon as i get some money i'm gonna put a 3in lift with pro comp 7031 wheels. I was wondering 16 or 17 in wheels? will 33's clear? Power and mpg loss with 33's? and what is the best lift? i was thinking toytec. And also what are the must have mods for a first gen? I'm on a low budget and i'm a noob here so forgive me for asking any stupid questions. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
You sound like I did when I was 15. Only like 6 years ago, but you get the point. Anyways, post some pictures of your truck. The 16" vs. 17" rims is pretty much all opinion, personally I like 16" but that's just me.

As far as musts for a 1st gen..hmm.. make sure all your fluids are fresh, possibly synthetic if you want. Deckplate is a popular one. Mods are endless with a 1st gen, just make it "whiteknight10's" tacoma. The best mod is something cool that no one has thought of! Good luck!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Senior Airman
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
I remember when I was 15, had no responsibilities and could put all my money into my car.... Oh the good old days before mortgage payment, utilities.....

I rolled my first Toyota truck when I was 16. Haha... I had a bazooka bass tube and an alpine head unit in it...you new a brush guard. Before do wrecked it I hit a mailbox post, didn't scratch the truck at all! You'll bound to hit something!

Post some pictures.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Heres a few..
Attached Thumbnails
1st gen must have mods-image.jpg  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
Some more
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #7
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
My first car was a pos pinto... yep Im that old.
As for first mods, it depends on what you plan to do with your truck and how much.
My first improvement was the stereo! (alpine and polk).
Next were sliders and tires (about the same time), the sliders of course was not cheap.
But the tires I bought from 4wp's Pro Comp... they did a decent job.... that was back many many many years/tires ago.

For suspension... check out the following link.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94262

Answer the questions, read some of the inserted links.
That will get you going on the right track.

Edit - forgot to comment on the tires.
33 will not fit without changing your suspension to nearly 3" of lift and the pinchweld mod.
You would loose mpg with 33 and you may/maynot need to regear.

I found the best information came from going to my local wheeling clubs and checkout other rigs, asking questions.
Good luck and nice truck there!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
White, xtra cab 1st gens are perfect just the way they are...but maybe I'm a little biased

What mods to do is all based on how you plan to use the truck....will you be out wheeling and getting dirty or are you staying in the city?

A couple low cost ideas...
rear diff breather. great if you think you're going to be driving through water anytime

debadging. i'd recommend this only if your paint is in good shape. has your truck been in the sun alot and the paint is dull? if so maybe this isn't the best thing to do but all you need is some fishing line, a hair dryer, some goo gone and lots of patience

And you may want to browse through here. Maybe you will get some inspiration seeing other white 1sty's
Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I know "on a low budget" is all relative but a 3" new wheels and 33 inch tires all around doesn't really jive.

Lisa pointed out some truly great low budget items and poses the best question: what are you mostly going to use the truck for?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknight10 View Post
I'm 15 and new to TW. The site seems awesome. I have a 1998 tacoma 2.4L automatic ext. cab 4x4
Thinking you have the 2.7 if you have a 4x4.
I personally would save your money on the lift, b/c thats going to kill your mileage, and be expensive. I'd save your money, get a nice set of 31" tires, and save the rest.

Nice truck by the way, I pretty much have the same truck, except mine is 5spd. Where'd you order the deckplate from?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSkeet View Post
You sound like I did when I was 15. Only like 6 years ago, but you get the point. Anyways, post some pictures of your truck. The 16" vs. 17" rims is pretty much all opinion, personally I like 16" but that's just me.

As far as musts for a 1st gen..hmm.. make sure all your fluids are fresh, possibly synthetic if you want. Deckplate is a popular one. Mods are endless with a 1st gen, just make it "whiteknight10's" tacoma. The best mod is something cool that no one has thought of! Good luck!
That is the best advice to anyone who just bought a used vehicle!

After that, Id say just browse this site as much as you can. There will be a truck or 2 on this that you love to look at. That's when you know what direction you would like to take your truck in.

http://youtu.be/2emM5uAQajY
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
I live out in the country, so i'll be doing a lot of mudding but not much flexing. But also driving back and forth to school, going out, and cruising so it'll be a daily driver. And yeah it is a 2.7 my bad. I ordered the deckplate off Amazon.

And MTgirl the differential breather is a great idea i'll do that when i do my deckplate.

I know i definitely want sliders and a bumper later on down the road. But for now i'm concentrating on the lift. I was thinking the toytec 3 inch spacer and AAL does anyone have this? and can i get on 33's with that lift and a little trimming?or would it be better to go with 32's. I really don't want to regear
Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I did a 2.5 inch lift, new shackles in the back and spacers in tech front. I don't think you'll clear 33's with it....
Old 02-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
What would be a good tire size then? I'm leaning toward bfg all terrains. And does anyone know how it would look to paint the factory wheels black until i get my pro comps?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What would be a good tire size then? I'm leaning toward bfg all terrains. And does anyone know how it would look to paint the factory wheels black until i get my pro comps?
Lots of people have painted the stock alloys black. It looks awesome IMO. I will be doing it as soon as it warms up.

If it were me, I'd run BFG ATs at 32 x 11.5
Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #16

I like the all terrains. I have the equivalent to 31x10.50's with Bridgestone dueler a/t's.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
You can't run 33s with out cutting the pinch weld and some hammering. Just not possible.

33s will kill your mpgs with a regear with a 4 banger in city driving. You'll loose a ton of power at hwy speeds but should still get good hwy mileage.

But the way I see it if your going t 33s..your basically saying IDGAF about mpgs.

Spend more time searching and doing lots of reading. All the questions you have have been answered at some point and there is tons of info here. Take your time and spend your money wisely.

Go check out the builds section for pics and info on people's trucks already.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Added a towing shackle to the frame on both sides
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
You can't run 33s with out cutting the pinch weld and some hammering. Just not possible.

33s will kill your mpgs with a regear with a 4 banger in city driving. You'll loose a ton of power at hwy speeds but should still get good hwy mileage.

But the way I see it if your going t 33s..your basically saying IDGAF about mpgs.

Spend more time searching and doing lots of reading. All the questions you have have been answered at some point and there is tons of info here. Take your time and spend your money wisely.

Go check out the builds section for pics and info on people's trucks already.
will i have the same effect with 32x11.50's? i dont want to lose a whole lot of power or mpg. And i definitely dont wanna regear, But to me if you lift a truck 3 inches 31's will look wrong.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #20
Dangerous
ronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
ronman737's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Added a towing shackle to the frame on both sides
Pretty cool idea!