1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Clunk" after off roading

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jamco20, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Feb 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    My truck has done the same exact thing for a while now. I haven't really looked into it because I assume it's my steering rack bushings and I don't want to deal with it. Could be sway bar end links/bushings though, I didn't think of that. I have a spare one sitting around from when my brother did his. Keep us updated on what fixes your problem.

2. Feb 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    jamco20

jamco20 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Socal
    Bilstein 5100's up front
    Okay guys, well,I jacked it up and looked at EVERYTHING. It looks fine the sway bar and its end links are fine and everything under the truck is tight. I tried to tighten the end links and the bottom bolt on the drivers side was the only one that I could turn at all. Nothing was loose. I checked my head Shields, my steering rack....everythings tight! oh, and I pushed on both sides of the bumper up and down with all my weight and no noise.......only when driving.....I'm lost

3. Feb 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    jamco20

jamco20 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Socal
    Bilstein 5100's up front
    Okay guys, I just took the truck out to see if the noise was gone, and it is! I drove on and off road. It's completely gone, I'm so happy! So to anyone having this problem, check your sway bar end links. Mine didn't seem loose at all I had to put my weight on the wrench to get them to turn but I guess that's what the problem was! Thank you all for your time and help!

Products Discussed in

To Top