LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Reading engine code

Old 02-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
ILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
ILove2Drive's Tacoma Gallery
Reading engine code

Hey guys. Last night when I was driving home my CEL came on. No difference in driving or anything so I'm not sure what's going on. I have a scan guage and my dad got out and checked it and cleared the code before I could look at it. He says the code is P041, I can't seem to find what that code means though, so if anyone can help me, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a link to a code chart I think you are missing some numbers
it might be a po441 code since he cleared wait and see if it comes back on.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2000/Repa...ngine/dtcc.pdf

Online service manual link
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2000/index.html

P0441
Evaporative Emission Control
System Incorrect Purge Flow

.Vacuum hose cracked, holed, blocked, damaged or discon-
nected
.Open or short in vapor pressure sensor circuit
.Vapor pressure sensor
.Open or short in VSV circuit for EVAP
.VSV for EVAP
.Open or short in VSV circuit for vapor pressure sensor
.VSV for vapor pressure sensor
.Charcoal canister cracked, holed or damaged
.ECM
Old 02-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
ILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefTaco View Post
Here is a link to a code chart I think you are missing some numbers
it might be a po441 code since he cleared wait and see if it comes back on.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2000/Repa...ngine/dtcc.pdf

Online service manual link
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2000/index.html

P0441
Evaporative Emission Control
System Incorrect Purge Flow

.Vacuum hose cracked, holed, blocked, damaged or discon-
nected
.Open or short in vapor pressure sensor circuit
.Vapor pressure sensor
.Open or short in VSV circuit for EVAP
.VSV for EVAP
.Open or short in VSV circuit for vapor pressure sensor
.VSV for vapor pressure sensor
.Charcoal canister cracked, holed or damaged
.ECM
Yeah man I was lookin the manual earlier too, this helps me think even more that it was probably 441, I asked him earlier if it was 441 and he says it wasn't. I took it up the road and it didnt come back on, but I'll give it some time. So I guess we'll see, but thank you! +1
Old 02-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Check your gas cap.

If they're not 'tight' can setoff the CEL.
Gas cap is good, but thanks for the headsup!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #6

The code came back today, it was P0141 so I'm assuming that's what it was. I looked it up and was just wondering how serious of an issue this was? Should I probably take it in?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Newbie here
GT_Taco will become famous soon enough

GT_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to GT_Taco Send a message via Yahoo to GT_Taco
Im not an expert.. but it sounds minor. HOWEVER, even if it is minor, and has ANY ties into the emissions testing whatsoever, if you live somewhere that has to do emissions testing, there is a good chance that you won't pass it.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #8

Alright thanks, is it anything that will affect the truck as far as performance or anything like that goes?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
Newbie here
GT_Taco will become famous soon enough

GT_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to GT_Taco Send a message via Yahoo to GT_Taco
Checking that code in the list it says:

P0141
(DI–241)
Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit
Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
 Same as DTC No. P0135

As I mentioned before, there is a good chance that would cause you to fail emissions. I doubt it would affect too much as far as day to day driving. It might indicate other problems with your engine performance (ie. too rich/lean of a mixture). Though, there are a host of other sensors that would probably flag warnings if that were the case.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Check your charcoal canister. I had the same code and it turns out my charcoal can had a 3in long crack in the bottom.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
gonzo6up has a spectacular aura aboutgonzo6up has a spectacular aura about

gonzo6up's Tacoma Gallery
Also check the seal around your MAF sensor because i had the same code pop up and my problem was that too much air was getting in and the mixture was too lean.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo6up View Post
Also check the seal around your MAF sensor because i had the same code pop up and my problem was that too much air was getting in and the mixture was too lean.
Then he would have a code for being too lean also.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #14

Alright I have another quick question on this. Does anyone know exactly where this sensor is located? And is it something that I could replace myself or something that would probably need to go in to the dealer to be fixed?
Old 12-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #16
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
its your rear o2 sensor located after the catalytic converter. Its also the cheaper of the two sensors on your exhaust.